Player Discussion: Conor Sheary

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Seems universally agreed Sherry is the biggest disappointment for the Bolts so far this season. I haven’t been watching as closely until recently, so curious to see the boards thoughts on his issues. Too early to give up on him after signing a 3 year deal, which is all the more reason Sherry really needs to get going and provide Something for the bottom 6.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I get 2021 Tyler Johnson vibes from him. Small, speedy, but not good enough to play top 6. May chip in offense from the 4th line on the odd night.

Reactions: bov

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Right from when we signed him I got the last season Namestnikov vibes.
Grinds my gears knowing we could have signed Sprong instead, for the same amount.

Reactions: Slaydagnar

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
He looks slower and less aggressive than advertised. His game when playing well is supposed to resemble the way Eyssimont has been playing.

I'm ok waiting for this one to work out, after all he isn't going anywhere with his 3 year term and NTC. :facepalm:

Reactions: Slaydagnar

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
2 points but they were pretty invisible, he generates almost nothing. If ABB is sent down or if he gets consistent enough he could play down and give us more depth, could see Sheary take that top line spot since he's been carried by elite playmakers in the past and we might as well make him somewhat useful considering he's got an NTC.

Sheary Point Kucherov
ABB Paul Stamkos
Hagel Cirelli Eyssimont
Jeannot Glendening Merela

Wouldn't look half bad, that 3rd line would be a menace in the playoffs, 4th line would be hard to score on and you just shelter the 2nd line defensively.

Reactions: Hoek

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
He's been pretty useless so far. He'll get on a hot streak at some point only to regress back to this.

Why we signed him for three years is beyond me.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
The first 4 games when Sheary was in the top 6 / top 9, he had 0 points, and was a -6. In the 5 games since after being dropped to the 4th line, he has 2 assists and is a +3. In both the wins over Vancouver and Carolina he played less than 10 minutes.

Others have made the comparison, but this is starting to look like last years situation with Namestnikov. Vladdy was also brought in to help out with depth scoring, but did not, and was eventually moved to the 4th line. In the end, Vladdy (with only 6 goals by early March) was moved for Eyssimont, who although was not an answer to this issue either, was a better fit for that 4th line role. Now coincidentally Motte will be ready to return soon, and could also be a better replacement for Sheary next to Glendening and Eyssimont.

I was hoping we could count on about 15 goals out of Sheary, but maybe he needs to be carried offensively to get there. Meanwhile, ABB has kinda taken over as a guy that can add some depth scoring. Even when they took him away from Pointer and Kuch last night, he didn't disapear. He scored a goal with Hagel and Jeannot, assisted on another one with Cirelli and Hagel, had his wrap around attempted saved by Oleksiak while with Paul and Sheary, and made the pass to Fleury who shot it off the crossbar in the 3rd with Paul and Sheary again.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Coop on Sheary today:

"No doubt (he's getting adjusted). I think for any player coming in it's difficult. New scenery, new teammates, but Sheary has gotten better every game. With that comes more responsibility. For us, we're educating ourselves as well as a coaching staff of what do we have. Like I said, you want to see players improve on a daily basis, and Sheary is definitely doing that. You can tell too. Guys are quiet when they first come in here. Now that they're getting to know guys a bit better they're opening up. I think that's good for them not only off the ice, but on the ice."

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
He's right though, it's not uncommon for new players to struggle to adapt to our system. Patience is the right approach here.

Reactions: Peacefool

Ducati Boy

HF Original
Feb 7, 2018
So far, Sheary has been out of position constantly, in both directions, on a nightly basis. Hopefully, it’s a systems thing, lingering habits from the previous club, and he figures it out soon.

b0lthed

Mar 7, 2023
But you can see that Sheary is the very definition of a stop-gap middle-six forward. He’s mid … just an older, more experienced version of Eyssimont. We’ve got a lot of mid on this team. Maybe we’ll end up a mid team in the middle of the standings.

I’ve been a staunch JBB supporter (borderline fanboy), I will admit. IMO his moves to get us 2 Cups and sustain the run we went on were unassailably good, smart, maybe even brilliant. So JBB had earned my trust. But this offseason’s choice to refit the bottom six with a bunch of pluggers deserves scrutiny. Signing Sheary and no one else who has ever sniffed 40 points (which I think Colton did for 3 years) just puts more pressure on guys like Nick Paul and Tanner Jeannot to emerge as legit top-6 scoring threats. Seems like a bad plan, especially if you think Jeannot’s skill level is questionable. So why not sign anyone else with some scoring touch? A guy like Evan Rodrgues, who is plenty tough, was on pace for 50 points last year with Colorado and could fake it in the top-6 with the Avs and Penguins before them. There were plenty of affordable options on the market that JBB seemingly ignored.

So maybe I misjudged him. Maybe he just had a golden touch with the team Yzerman built and handed him? I dunno and there’s time for this take to be wrong too. But this is the first time I’ve really second guessed our GM.

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
But you can see that Sheary is the very definition of a stop-gap middle-six forward. He’s mid … just an older, more experienced version of Eyssimont. We’ve got a lot of mid on this team. Maybe we’ll end up a mid team in the middle of the standings.

I’ve been a staunch JBB supporter (borderline fanboy), I will admit. IMO his moves to get us 2 Cups and sustain the run we went on were unassailably good, smart, maybe even brilliant. So JBB had earned my trust. But this offseason’s choice to refit the bottom six with a bunch of pluggers deserves scrutiny. Signing Sheary and no one else who has ever sniffed 40 points (which I think Colton did for 3 years) just puts more pressure on guys like Nick Paul and Tanner Jeannot to emerge as legit top-6 scoring threats. Seems like a bad plan, especially if you think Jeannot’s skill level is questionable. So why not sign anyone else with some scoring touch? A guy like Evan Rodrgues, who is plenty tough, was on pace for 50 points last year with Colorado and could fake it in the top-6 with the Avs and Penguins before them. There were plenty of affordable options on the market that JBB seemingly ignored.

So maybe I misjudged him. Maybe he just had a golden touch with the team Yzerman built and handed him? I dunno and there’s time for this take to be wrong too. But this is the first time I’ve really second guessed our GM.
Sheary has multiple 15+ goal seasons in the NHL and over 500 games, Mikey.... doesn't. Sheary has 13 games on a roster that quite frankly hasn't looked good on a night to night basis. There is still a huge rotation of forwards in and out for various reasons, and he has only averaged about 11 minutes a night. Its a pretty small sample so i'm just not willing to dump on him just yet.

What does need to happen, though, is he or ABB need to emerge as more of a scoring threat in that bottom six. Some stuff is coming together down there (Jeannot, Mikey) but some stuff isn't or won't (Glendening).

Last edited:

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008

Hot take from the Athletic: Tampa Bay Lightning​

Offseason grade: B​

Aside from Calvin de Haan, Tyler Motte has been a positive defensively although he hasn’t done much on the other end of the ice. Conor Sheary has s been a fine depth forward, with a positive influence on the Lightning’s expected and actual goal creation. The one investment of scarce salary cap dollars that looks a bit worse is the Tanner Jeannot contract — much of that goes back to the cost of acquisition for someone who isn’t proving to be more than a bottom-six forward. — Shayna Goldman

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021

Conor Sheary has s been a fine depth forward, with a positive influence on the Lightning’s expected and actual goal creation.

Among forwards, MoneyPuck has Sheary as the 3rd worst forward on the team in "Created expected goals" ahead of only Merela and Watson. He's also 3rd worst in "Expected goals" ahead of only Watson and Glendenning. Also 4th worst in Corsi.... what is the Athletic talking about??

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
We knew since we signed him that it was a garbage signing. Always been a passenger on each line he played in, definitely not the type of player we should have spent 2M AAV on (especially not for 3 years)

Reactions: Stelio Kontos

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio

Aside from Calvin de Haan, Tyler Motte has been a positive defensively although he hasn’t done much on the other end of the ice. Conor Sheary has s been a fine depth forward, with a positive influence on the Lightning’s expected and actual goal creation. The one investment of scarce salary cap dollars that looks a bit worse is the Tanner Jeannot contract — much of that goes back to the cost of acquisition for someone who isn’t proving to be more than a bottom-six forward. Shayna Goldman
Shayna clearly doesn't watch Lightning games consistently, Sheary is below mid. Motte has gotten better, while Sheary hasn't done anything of note.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad