Player Discussion Conor Garland

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Garland is just not nearly as effective without Joshua. He hussle and skate hard, but not much result from it without Joshua. Even when playing with a theoretically superior player in Lindholm, that line doesn't make anything happen offensively. His movements on the PP is pretty head scratching too, sometimes he would just take himself out of the play by going to a weird spot.

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of trading him in the summer, especially if we don't have to attach significant asset. Double-especially if Joshua moves on as well. That $5m can be better utilized elsewhere. He isn't a bad player, just a luxury we cannot afford.

• Haha
Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
The “not effective without Joshua” narrative is BS. Mikheyev-Blueger-Garland was also excelling after Joshua’s injury. Two poor games with Lindholm, one of which the whole team sucked in isn’t something to draw conclusions from

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Garland is just not nearly as effective without Joshua. He hussle and skate hard, but not much result from it without Joshua. Even when playing with a theoretically superior player in Lindholm, that line doesn't make anything happen offensively. His movements on the PP is pretty head scratching too, sometimes he would just take himself out of the play by going to a weird spot.

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of trading him in the summer, especially if we don't have to attach significant asset. Double-especially if Joshua moves on as well. That $5m can be better utilized elsewhere. He isn't a bad player, just a luxury we cannot afford.
They undoubtfully have chemistry but Im not ready to say Joshua is the reason that line was so effective. Garland has been a 5on5 playdriver his entire time with us.

Millers 5on5 results in his monster 2021-22 year were much better with Garland than away from Garland.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
They undoubtfully have chemistry but Im not ready to say Joshua is the reason that line was so effective. Garland has been a 5on5 playdriver his entire time with us.

Millers 5on5 results in his monster 2021-22 year were much better with Garland than away from Garland.
Its nice he is driving play 5 on 5, but at some point result matters, especially for a player at nearly $5m cap hit. If we can keep the Joshua-Blueger-Garland line intact at a reasonable total cap hit, then I would love to keep them together. However, if Garland can't produce away from Joshua, we simply cannot have a $5m player on the 3rd line producing mediocre numbers.

I wouldn't say he is the first player on my "to get rid of" list, but if we are looking to spend $20m on EP and Hronek next season, we'll have to trim from elsewhere.

**Although the expectation for next season that some of the bottom 6'ers will be replaced by our youngsters from the AHL, doesn't have me very excited, seeing how Bains has been meh so far, and he is the best of the bunch.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Its nice he is driving play 5 on 5, but at some point result matters, especially for a player at nearly $5m cap hit. If we can keep the Joshua-Blueger-Garland line intact at a reasonable total cap hit, then I would love to keep them together. However, if Garland can't produce away from Joshua, we simply cannot have a $5m player on the 3rd line producing mediocre numbers.

2021-22 he was 3rd in 5on5 goals and 2nd in 5on5 assists.

2022-23 he was 5th in 5on5 goals and 6th in 5on5 assists (with less ice time).

2023-24 he is 7th in 5on5 goals and 8th in 5on5 assists (with even less ice time).

I suppose his 23-24 production is lagging but its not like he is getting deployment that helps him produce.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The “not effective without Joshua” narrative is BS. Mikheyev-Blueger-Garland was also excelling after Joshua’s injury. Two poor games with Lindholm, one of which the whole team sucked in isn’t something to draw conclusions from
I dont recall Mikheyev/Blueger/Garland excelling at all..It was merely passable, but certainly didnt excel, or dominate in any way. (which is why it was promptly scrapped).

All eyes have been on that 3rd line line since Joshua went down, and its become abundantly clear who is the straw that stirs the drink on that line.

Reactions: sandwichbird2023

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I dont recall Mikheyev/Blueger/Garland excelling at all..It was merely passable, but certainly didnt excel, or dominate in any way. (which is why it was promptly scrapped).

All eyes have been on that 3rd line line since Joshua went down, and its become abundantly clear who is the straw that stirs the drink on that line.
I believe they did have some shifts where they controlled the puck, but again a lot of it was just passing the puck around the outside. That's fine I guess since it's a bottom 6 line but if you want secondary scoring then that type of play isn't going to get it done.

The great thing about Joshua is that he rarely takes shots from the outside, he drives to the the net and a lot of his shots come from the middle of the ice which goalies hate.

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyWooot

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I believe they did have some shifts where they controlled the puck, but again a lot of it was just passing the puck around the outside. That's fine I guess since it's a bottom 6 line but if you want secondary scoring then that type of play is going to get it done.

The great thing about Joshua is that he rarely takes shots from the outside, he drives to the the net and a lot of his shots come from the middle of the ice which goalies hate.
The Joshua/Garland was dominant..If the top 6 weren't on, this line was..It gave us fantastic secondary scoring.

What made it work, was big Joshua creating havoc with his physical play..thus giving Garland that time and space to do his thing.

Also ..notice how other teams are taking liberties on Garland, without Joshua.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
2021-22 he was 3rd in 5on5 goals and 2nd in 5on5 assists.

2022-23 he was 5th in 5on5 goals and 6th in 5on5 assists (with less ice time).

2023-24 he is 7th in 5on5 goals and 8th in 5on5 assists (with even less ice time).

I suppose his 23-24 production is lagging but its not like he is getting deployment that helps him produce.
The problem with Garland is, he has been deployed with our star players (Horvat, JTM, EP) but those are always short-lived and he was quickly moved off those lines. I don't know if its a play-style thing or what, but the coaches just don't like the way it works. So as the team is constructed, he will always be on the 3rd line or lower. He also doesn't play specialty teams, at least not effectively. At his cap hit and usage, he is a luxury that we might not be able to afford.

Again, I'm not saying he is a bad player, and the Joshua/Blueger/Garland line was very dominant at times this season, a big reason for the team success. However, at the end of the day, is that really the best way to spend $5m in cap? I'm not advocating dumping him in a Jason Dickinson kind of way, but if another team is open to taking his full cap on for nothing, I think the team has to seriously consider it, especially if it choose not to (or is unable to) retain Joshua.

With the anticipated pay raise for EP and Hronek, plus the replacement cost for Myers/Zadorov/Cole (#4-6D), we might need to make sacrifices somewhere else in the lineup next season.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What are the odds that Boeser, Garland or Mikheyev are suiting up for the Canucks at September training camp?

At least one is gone for sure, and maybe even two of them.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
What are the odds that Boeser, Garland or Mikheyev are suiting up for the Canucks at September training camp?

At least one is gone for sure, and maybe even two of them.
I would move Boeser while his value is as high as its likely ever to be.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
How a guy that small can be such a terror along the wall, is still hard to comprehend. He's like the energizer bunny out there. He can have two guys on him, and still somehow find a way to spin away from them.

Must drive some d-men crazy. Just when you think you've got him cornered, he emerges with the puck. And when he does, somebody else is bound to be open. Tocchet just described him as one of the greasiest players he's ever coached. And we're not talking about his hairstyle here.

Garland is just like 'found money' entering the post-season.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
garland will be the biggest x factor in the playoffs IMO. scoring big big goals small guy with a huge motor.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hell of a run he’s been on. Someone tonight said he’s this team’s Burrows, and I couldn’t agree more.

I can't agree there. Maybe offensively but Burrows was the best defensive winger in the NHL. This fanbase still underrates how freaking good he was. He was as good as Jere Lehtinen but Selke voting had shifted away from giving votes to wingers and the voters didn't like Burrows because of how he played.

This team's Martin Gelinas I could get behind.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
How a guy that small can be such a terror along the wall, is still hard to comprehend. He's like the energizer bunny out there. He can have two guys on him, and still somehow find a way to spin away from them.

Must drive some d-men crazy. Just when you think you've got him cornered, he emerges with the puck. And when he does, somebody else is bound to be open. Tocchet just described him as one of the greasiest players he's ever coached. And we're not talking about his hairstyle here.

Garland is just like 'found money' entering the post-season.

It’s amazing how much leverage can work in your favour if you know how to use it like Garland. If you watch him, he’s frequently trying to get in on defensemen low and close, so his upper body can push into their core. As someone who’s 6’6, it was often more difficult dealing with the smaller guys in sports who knew what they were doing when battling for position, because it’s harder to put your full strength and weight into them.

Reactions: Vector and MS

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I can't agree there. Maybe offensively but Burrows was the best defensive winger in the NHL. This fanbase still underrates how freaking good he was. He was as good as Jere Lehtinen but Selke voting had shifted away from giving votes to wingers and the voters didn't like Burrows because of how he played.

This team's Martin Gelinas I could get behind.

I was thinking more of the clutch offensive play and board-work in the offensive zone, which I do think is somewhat reminiscent of Burrows. Gelinas and his motor are an excellent comparison, though.

Agree Burrows was the far superior player defensively.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I was thinking more of the clutch offensive play and board-work in the offensive zone, which I do think is somewhat reminiscent of Burrows. Gelinas and his motor are an excellent comparison, though.

Agree Burrows was the far superior player defensively.

Fair.

I get very defensive of Burrows when he isn't given recognition for just what an absolutely outstanding player he was. I think most of the fanbase loves him but still thinks of him as a hard-working middle-6 forward who got some extra points playing with the Sedins. He was a Cadillac player who should have Selke trophies on his resume. If you could actually calculate WAR for hockey, the guy would grade out as a star for the 3-4 years at his peak.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I think it's pretty clear that, earlier in the year, Garland was the driver for that 3rd line. Joshua is so complementary to Garland's game. We usually think of forward pairs being a centre with a winger. It seems that you can stick any centre with those two and they dominate. Obviously Miller at C is a huge upgrade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad