Player Discussion Conor Garland

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I like Garland and think he is a useful player to have going forward. He would be best used if we had a less depth at W and more depth down the middle. He is a good 2nd line winger who can play pp2 minutes. Not a foundational piece but a useful piece non the less

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
I had a dream that Conor Garland hit a go ahead homerun in the World Series for the Blue Jays against the Cubs. Everyone was freaking out because it was Conor Garland playing baseball.

This means he's going to score an important goal for us in the Stanley Cup final. It is written.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What amazes me about Garland is how effective he is down low in the offensive zone. I mean the guy is a water-but out there, but regularly turns not one, but often two checkers, into pretzels before finding the open guy.

In fact Garland and Hoglander must drive d-men batty on their relentless forecheck.

Reactions: Aphid Attraction

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
What amazes me about Garland is how effective he is down low in the offensive zone. I mean the guy is a water-but out there, but regularly turns not one, but often two checkers, into pretzels before finding the open guy.

In fact Garland and Hoglander must drive d-men batty on their relentless forecheck.

He's got a pretty remarkable ability to give defenders fits, getting them chasing all over the zone. Just too bad that he's playing some of his best hockey yet but isn't really producing individually, Mikh somehow has more points than him.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
He's got a pretty remarkable ability to give defenders fits, getting them chasing all over the zone. Just too bad that he's playing some of his best hockey yet but isn't really producing individually, Mikh somehow has more points than him.
They have almost identical points per 60.

With verrry different linemates.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Quick, trade Garland and Kuzy as part of deals for Lindholm and Crouse.

Put Hoglander in Garland's place.

Call up Bains or Podz to fill in for Hoglander.

Re-sign Lindholm.

Become a contender.

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
Watched the game against Carolina and I gotta say that Garland is really dialed in - the effort, tenacity, forechecking and puck skills are unreal. This is not the same Garland from early in the year.

After watching Tocchet speak about maybe breaking that 3rd line up with moving him up and having already told Garland to “be ready” incase he does.

Has me thinking - maybe we should try it again before TDL to evaluate what we have? I would start with;

Miller - Lindholm - Garland

Kind of similar to Tkachuk - Lindholm - Gaudreau line. Maybe there’s chemistry there. Only issue is it breaks up the 3rd line, but someone can step up on or look for a trade. Anyways that’s if Garland moving up works to begin with.

Thoughts?

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Watched the game against Carolina and I gotta say that Garland is really dialed in - the effort, tenacity, forechecking and puck skills are unreal. This is not the same Garland from early in the year.

After watching Tocchet speak about maybe breaking that 3rd line up with moving him up and having already told Garland to “be ready” incase he does.

Has me thinking - maybe we should try it again before TDL to evaluate what we have? I would start with;

Kind of similar to Tkachuk - Lindholm - Gaudreau line. Maybe there’s chemistry there. Only issue is it breaks up the 3rd line, but someone can step up on or look for a trade. Anyways that’s if Garland moving up works to begin with.

Thoughts?
The 3rd line is the last thing I would mess around with right now.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Thoughts?

The 3rd line being so good makes it hard to mess with. I’m curious about trying Lindholm with Garland as I think they could work well (though I would put Miller with Petey if that’s the case), and might be something needed in the playoffs depending on matchups/injuries, but I think maybe you wait until they slow down more

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Along the wall, Garland is like the Energizer Bunny. How a guy that small can give opposing d-men fits along the wall, is almost worth the price of admission every night.

Talk of him being an 'overpaid' winger has all but died. I'm sure his name still comes up in trade talks, but the Canucks would be crazy to deal him now.

Reactions: B-rock

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Along the wall, Garland is like the Energizer Bunny. How a guy that small can give opposing d-men fits along the wall, is almost worth the price of admission every night.

Talk of him being an 'overpaid' winger has all but died. I'm sure his name still comes up in trade talks, but the Canucks would be crazy to deal him now.
This season I would not trade him, he is a big reason Canucks are where they are.

But in the offseason, my prediction (because its what I would do, so maybe just that, I don’t know what the team is thinking) is that he is moved.

Just in terms of cap structure, you gotta have players being good value in the bottom 6, such as Joshua types, not players that surprise you when their value matchs their price tag.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Thoughts?

Did you happen to read my post on that line here? Canucks News, Rumours, & Fantasy GM | The Russians are Going!?

If not, happy coincidence. Yes, break up that 3rd line. It will reward Garland with much better linemates and that line can hard match the opposition's best.

The worry is about what Miller loses by moving to LW. Still, worth a shot.

They could also go to Hoglander-Petterson-Boeser as a 2nd line if Mikheyev doesn't pick it up. Who knows? Maybe Mikheyev can drop to the 3rd line and the line can replicate what it had with Garland? At which point, the Canucks are poised to do damage.

Reactions: Tact

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I gotta say... this is a weird player.

I actually truly dislike Garland as a top 6 and I'm not very fond of him as a PP guy... but man... this guy can drive a 3rd line offensively. He desperately needs two safe guys with him... You put garland with a good 3rd line, defensive center and a big winger that has some hands... you can get a LOT out of him.
In the top 6 he wilts and he needs the puck to be effective. in the bottom 6, with guys that really dont need the puck and just want to fetch it and chip in? Perfect.

I see his salary as truly being worth it.

As a nuck:
He's around 18 goals/year and 30 assists... around 48 pts.
That's fine and he now works as a 3rd liner running that line, but you need those pieces to be exactly what he is not.

Reactions: Play

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad