Proposal: Conor Garland for Beauvillier and a 2021 2nd round pick

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Since this thread isn’t really going anywhere, I’d like to repurpose it a bit and just find out more about the Islanders and their young players.

Would Islanders fans rank the following wingers for me in terms of which you value the highest: Wahlstrom, Beaullivier, and Bellows.

And then these D:
Dobson, Wilde, and Bolduc
Wahlstrom waaaaaaay ahead of Beauvillier, then Bellows a good step behind at this time.

Dobson waaaaaaaay ahead of Wilde and Bolduc, who are still just prospects. Dobson is already a top 4 D, on his way to a #1.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
It’s actually Griff for picks 16 and 33.

Correct, it's specifically Griff for 16 and 33... 33 being a second round pick.

I was merely correcting the poster I was quoting who was saying 'Barzal for Reinhart + 2nd round pick'... when in actuality it was much worse... he had the 2nd round pick on the wrong side of the equation.

No but would you move Barzal for Griffin Reinhart and 2nd round pick?

A low blow that you couldn't even get right... it's actually Griffin Reinhart for Barzal and a 2nd round pick.

I won't even bring up the bad trades all of the Islanders former management made... let's not forget, the Islanders employed Mike Millbury at one point, arguably the only NHL GM in history worse than Chiarelli.

The Oilers still living rent free in one Islander fan's head... it's been over 35 years man... let it go! Don't get so upset... the Islanders will complete the Drive for 5 one day.

BKIsles

Jan 22, 2013
Since this thread isn’t really going anywhere, I’d like to repurpose it a bit and just find out more about the Islanders and their young players.

Would Islanders fans rank the following wingers for me in terms of which you value the highest: Wahlstrom, Beaullivier, and Bellows.

And then these D:
Dobson, Wilde, and Bolduc

Beauvillier, Wahlstrom, Bellows

Dobson, Bolduc, Wilde

Dobson, Beauvillier, Wahlstrom, Bolduc, Bellows, Wilde

Reactions: Not4u

BKIsles

Jan 22, 2013
Why does Arizona want to trade Garland? His size? They think they can get someone to overpay? They don't want to pay him?

I like Garland, I just think the Isles need some size to replace Lee, and I don't see the Islanders making any trades for long-term players until the off-season. I don't see the Isles as a good trade partner for Garland though. From a player standpoint? Yes he would be great in blue and orange, but I can't see the money and trade of draft capital ever making sense for either team.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Why does Arizona want to trade Garland? His size? They think they can get someone to overpay? They don't want to pay him?

I like Garland, I just think the Isles need some size to replace Lee, and I don't see the Islanders making any trades for long-term players until the off-season. I don't see the Isles as a good trade partner for Garland though. From a player standpoint? Yes he would be great in blue and orange, but I can't see the money and trade of draft capital ever making sense for either team.
He’s Arizona’s best forward. He’s the best forward we’ve had in a decade or more. What’s more, he’s a heart and soul, blood and guts, hard working, fan favorite. We love this player. He and Chychrun are the only two things really worth watching on the Coyotes.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
He’s Arizona’s best forward. He’s the best forward we’ve had in a decade or more. What’s more, he’s a heart and soul, blood and guts, hard working, fan favorite. We love this player. He and Chychrun are the only two things really worth watching on the Coyotes.

With that said. How does Clayton Keller now rank?

Last edited:

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Beauvillier, Wahlstrom, Bellows

Dobson, Bolduc, Wilde

Dobson, Beauvillier, Wahlstrom, Bolduc, Bellows, Wilde

I would echo this.

You could easily flip Beau and Wahlstrom, Bellows lags way behind
The gap between each of the defensemen is large.
Overall, you could flip Beau and Wahlstrom but it's accurate.

After that, there's a whole ton of nothing. Holmstrom might turn into something, Koivula's pretty much plateau'd right now and there's a ton of 18 year olds that'll take years before they hit the NHL, if they hit the NHL.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I wouldn't say that 30 games of a single season is proof of anything on who would have a better career. I can certainly respect one thinking that Garland or any player may have a better career if it's based on actual observation of both players or an extended sample size. But basing it on 30 games I just don't buy it.

Beauvillier was injured early in the year. But mostly his big negative is that he is streaky and inconsistent. Feels like a hot streak is incoming though. This is where he usually pots 6 in 5 games.
I was just coming back at an aggressive feeling post. We have no idea what their careers will turn out to be but I would have much greater confidence in Garland currently based on what both players have shown to date. The reality is they could end up with very similar careers though.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
With that said. How does Clayton Keller now rank?
2nd best forward, I suppose. But basically in the same tier as Schmaltz and Dvorak because he’s a winger and they’re centers and they have better contracts. I guess I rank Dvorak ahead of both because he’s a better three zone guy and isn’t a shrimp.

If I could only keep three assets in the entire franchise, or if I was moving to another team and could take three guys with me, my list would be; Chychrun, Garland, and Dvorak. And that would be an easy choice for me. No hesitation there.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Players go through hot & cold streaks. Cherry picking stats from this season doesn't make Garland the better player. My point was that it is too early to say which player is better. In time, we will know that.

For I could say, in 22 playoff games in the bubble, Beauvillier potted 9G and 5A for 14 points. Far more impressive than what Garland has done in the regular season, feasting on bottom dwellers like the Ducks & Sharks.

Safe to say both respective fan bases can forget about this proposed deal and not lose any sleep over it at this point. Neither guy has broken 40 points in their career, this is just a classic case of "my guy is better than your guy". The bodies of work are too small and neither guy has been dominant or impactful enough over a prolonged period of time to say he is superior.
I wasn't cherry picking anything, I talked about their previous career in relevance, which is not much given the age and time both players have spent in the NHL. Garland has 2 NHL seasons under his belt and neither were full seasons so grabbing stats isn't really an option. I quickly went into what they have done this year, where Garland currently has a large edge. I'm also not insinuating Beauvillier won't have an amazing career, he's 2 years younger and at 25 could put up similar numbers. As it stands today, I have much more confidence in Garland than I do Beauvillier because Garland is showing the potential to be a 50-60 point winger in his 3rd NHL season. Beauvillier's best season to date, prorated to 82 games played, falls in at 47 points in his 4th NHL season. This year, although he's had an injury that could be slowing down his perceived production, is at a 27 point pace, in his 5th NHL season. I'm not really seeing a cherry pick here, there's not a lot to work with lol. I think I even mentioned that Beauvillier is younger and bigger which gives him value against Garland. I'm not talking bad about him, just that he shouldn't be considered the centerpiece in a Garland deal. He can be part of it as a way to clear cap and a roster spot but he's not what I would be trading Garland for.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I wasn't cherry picking anything, I talked about their previous career in relevance, which is not much given the age and time both players have spent in the NHL. Garland has 2 NHL seasons under his belt and neither were full seasons so grabbing stats isn't really an option. I quickly went into what they have done this year, where Garland currently has a large edge. I'm also not insinuating Beauvillier won't have an amazing career, he's 2 years younger and at 25 could put up similar numbers. As it stands today, I have much more confidence in Garland than I do Beauvillier because Garland is showing the potential to be a 50-60 point winger in his 3rd NHL season. Beauvillier's best season to date, prorated to 82 games played, falls in at 47 points in his 4th NHL season. This year, although he's had an injury that could be slowing down his perceived production, is at a 27 point pace, in his 5th NHL season. I'm not really seeing a cherry pick here, there's not a lot to work with lol. I think I even mentioned that Beauvillier is younger and bigger which gives him value against Garland. I'm not talking bad about him, just that he shouldn't be considered the centerpiece in a Garland deal. He can be part of it as a way to clear cap and a roster spot but he's not what I would be trading Garland for.

You cited their Point Per Game totals from this season (in Covidivisions) as the basis for why Garland will likely have a better career. That is Cherry Picking.

Looking at the big picture, their career totals are not far off , Garland has a slight edge at 0.55 P/PG to Beau at 0.43 P/PG, this seasons career best and worst for the players we are discussing is essentially accounting for the difference on paper between them at this point. So here we are, back at a 30 game window.

You can keep Garland, I'm glad he's working out for you.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40

Arizona does not want to trade Garland. We fans know that he isn't the best, so if a trade improves them in the long run, then they have to. It's more about teams requesting him (currently Coyotes' best wing) and Coyotes management is not throwing his name out there. At the same time he is at an all-time high trade value, and the Coyotes are far from a finish product.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
One of the dumbest things I’ve read in here in a while haha.
Really? The value Moose is demonstrating is value to the team, not necessarily trade value, otherwise he would of offered Garland for Barzal. Garland's value to the team is more than just scoring and with no contract for next season, it is hard to gauge his trade value. His current contact, 1 of the best in the league, is coming to an end.

Last edited:

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
Really? The value Moose is demonstrating is value to the team, not necessarily trade value, otherwise he would of offered Garland for Barzal. Garland's value to the team is more than just scoring and with no contract for next season, it is hard to gauge his trade value. His current contact, 1 of the best in the league, is coming to an end.

Yes, really. I agree his value is worth more than his point total but that’s certainly not what he said. He literally said they have the exact same point total and would that make that trade as an Isles fan. Just an awful statement as he is directly comparing the trade for both BarZel and Garland. They are not on the same level at all.

joemon999

Drive for 5
Sep 12, 2011
Don't look now, but Beau has a goal in each of his last 3 games and recieved 4 points in that same span. His shooting percentage has been way down sitting at 7.1% when his average has been 12.1%. He's been due for a huge correction and it looks like it's finally coming.

I originally thought Beau and a 2nd was a good premise for a trade, but if it takes a 1st along with Beau then I'm willing to do it if we're able to sign Garland to a good long term deal. Arizona gets way more value and a proven under pressure playoff monster if both players end up producing the same amount for the rest of their careers. But as someone looking to go for a cup with an injured Lee, I think adding Garland to the roster stabilizes our scoring for the playoffs. If he is able to produce what he's scoring on a depleted Arizona offense, then I have no doubt he'll continue to strive in the Trotz defensive system. Remember, we saw the same thing in Pageau when he was scoring in Ottawa and being able to replicate it on the Isles. Garland reminds me of a Pageau 2.0 trade but with younger with more offensive upside than Pageau.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Arizona finally gets some traction on Offence and immediately want to trade him? I don't get it, do they want more picks? That hasn't been working out so good.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I think Beauvillier is a key spoke in the wheel for the Isles . He's just starting to get his conditioning back after coming off injury . At times he runs around like a chicken with its head cut off but when the game slows down enough for him he's an above average contributor to the Trotz system .

Garland being available should definately make you want to kick tires and I'm certainly interested if the price is picks and prospects .

fwiw isles had a pro scout at the AZ game . my guess is brassard , goligoski interest.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Remember, we saw the same thing in Pageau when he was scoring in Ottawa and being able to replicate it on the Isles. Garland reminds me of a Pageau 2.0 trade but with younger with more offensive upside than Pageau.

Came here to say this. Gotta think the Pageau trade is a pretty good barometer here. Both are smaller high motor guys putting up the best statistical year of their careers, and leading their teams in points. Garland is 25 and Pageau was 27. Garland is an RFA but Pageau signed immediately. Pageau is a C and and Garland is a winger. Pageau went for a late First and Second.

Obviously the biggest difference here is that AZ doesn't HAVE to trade him - it just might make sense to. That gives them the leverage here, and probably means we add. Bellows makes sense as an easy add to me as he needs to be protected anyway - so something like a First, Second and Bellows (plus some type of cap dump so we can sign him) feels like fair value to me - basically 2 firsts and a second. The second can be swapped out with one of our B prospects like Wilde or Holmstrom if that's preferred. Basically 2 1sts and a second - anything more than that and we need to look elsewhere, but I personally think it's worth it for what Garland will bring to the team

Reactions: joemon999

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I think it is a bit of a stretch to say the Coyotes are shopping Garland. I believe the original report said GM Armstrong was listening. This was on the heels of an interview where he talked about the franchise needing a substantial change.

Garland is the third most important piece on the team. He has boatloads of talent and is now showing it at the NHL level. No reason to trade him UNLESS it is a true hockey trade where the Coyotes are better for it. A late second round pick is not going to do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad