Connor McDavid - We're not worthy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
McDavid got 2 goals and 5 points against the worst team in the league, not that big of deal.

With a little context it's more impressive. McDavid, who is 19 years old, a rookie in the NHL who is coming off an injury that put him off the ice for almost 2 months scored 5 points against the worst team in the league.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Remember when Crosby would come back midseason from a long-term injury and put up some crazy point totals? 37 points in 22, 56 points in 36... And then he played a full season and didn't get anything close to that rate of production...

McDavid is putting up some crazy numbers right now but I suspect the 3 months of rest while the rest of the league has been playing games every other night could be a factor here. I want to see it over full seasons before we start tossing labels around. The 130+ point predictions are kind of unreasonable and a little unfair to the kid.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Remember when Crosby would come back midseason from a long-term injury and put up some crazy point totals? 37 points in 22, 56 points in 36... And then he played a full season and didn't get anything close to that rate of production...

McDavid is putting up some crazy numbers right now but I suspect the 3 months of rest while the rest of the league has been playing games every other night could be a factor here. I want to see it over full seasons before we start tossing labels around. The 130+ point predictions are kind of unreasonable and a little unfair to the kid.

Although I do agree 130+ point seasons seem a little optimistic, it seems odd to suggest that 3 months of not playing hockey would have a positive impact on his game, especially at a young age.

PepperoniSlapshot*

Prime McDavid over a Full season (average) i could see 35-38 goals and 60 assists for about 95+ points.

The thing than can (and has shown) to neutralize him is physical play - he's pretty weak and that's going to hurt him going forward.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Although I do agree 130+ point seasons seem a little optimistic, it seems odd to suggest that 3 months of not playing hockey would have a positive impact on his game, especially at a young age.

I would think it would be similar to Forsberg last season, great numbers, running away with the Calder, then the grind got to him, he stopped producing, doesn't even finish top three in the voting.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I would think it would be similar to Forsberg last season, great numbers, running away with the Calder, then the grind got to him, he stopped producing, doesn't even finish top three in the voting.

Forsberg hasn't really shown to capable of what McDavid has been doing, maybe that's what would've happened but I doubt it.

mrcshlbrstrm*

You have to take in to account that he got injured man. No, he's not top 5. But in the near future 3-5 years down the road, he will be a brute force for the oilers and dominate

I agree that he's hockey's next dominant player, but not right now. The McDavid HF hype is beyond ridiculous and bordering on annoying actually. Just enjoy the show and enjoy the skill. He's a terrific young player, but people need a lil timeout.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I agree that he's hockey's next dominant player, but not right now. The McDavid HF hype is beyond ridiculous and bordering on annoying actually. Just enjoy the show and enjoy the skill. He's a terrific young player, but people need a lil timeout.
So you come into a thread about him read the hype then call it annoying ? why not just ignore McDavid threads if the hype others have does not suit your opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Prime McDavid over a Full season (average) i could see 35-38 goals and 60 assists for about 95+ points.

The thing than can (and has shown) to neutralize him is physical play - he's pretty weak and that's going to hurt him going forward.

Hurt him going forward? He's only going to get stronger from here on out. He's already stronger than Patrick Kane, you know the best point producer in the NHL by far this season.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Of course, different level of player, but the grind is still the grind, and it gets to most of the kids in the league.

This is true. Hits pretty much everyone within their first year or second year. Especially if they are in the Western Conference. Though if they play in the WHL where they travel massive distances by bus then they might adapt easier. But the increase in physical play still catches up to them.

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton
one game without a point and he`s being labeled as a 2C FailFish

Looks like he`s not allowed to not have multipoint games.

Rentsi

Jan 15, 2014
It's crazy that Edmonton has slightly better w/l ratio when McDavid isn't playing.

Full games with McDavid 19 GP 7 W 12 L = 0,37

Full games without McDavid 37 GP 14 W 23 L = 0,38

Edmonton was down 2-1 against Philly at the moment he was injured, but was able to turn the game in 3rd when McDavid was out of the lineup.

Last edited:

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Let's see McDavid drop 5 on a team other than the Marlies before we anoint him the next Gretzky, k? :)

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008

The full season grind is one of the biggest hurdles and adjustments for any rookie, especially a teenager. It would be silly to assume it wouldn't be a factor.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It's crazy that Edmonton has slightly better w/l ratio when McDavid isn't playing.

Edmonton was down 2-1 against Philly at the moment he was injured, but was able to turn the game in 3rd when McDavid was out of the lineup.

I think that has to do with Drai/Hall.

They went beast mode while McDavid was injured. They were making more of a impact than a healthy McDavid.

They've been really quiet since McDavid's return. I think the grind is taking a toll on Drai.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
I think that has to do with Drai/Hall.

They went beast mode while McDavid was injured. They were making more of a impact than a healthy McDavid.

They've been really quiet since McDavid's return. I think the grind is taking a toll on Drai.

He kind of limps off some shifts. A few of us think he is playing hurt.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011

Where are all of the "rotten core" people trying to ship him out?

It's almost as if good players can play on bad teams that lose a lot with or without them.

thalegion

Apr 13, 2010
Edmonton

It's more the loss of RNH than the gain of Mcdavid on that one.

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011
Some of the comments I've read on this thread are just nuts. Connor can't have a game where he scores 5 points and he is now a 2C/ and or someone who will be easily shutdown/ will back down when guys get physical.

This kid will be at the top of the league, if not the best player in the next three years.

I hope EDM can surround him with coaching and personal that can assist him properly because he's a special player.

No kidding. Is it just my imagination or has HF become a whole lot dumber the last few years?? I feel like there used to be some pretty interesting and reasonable discussion on these boards but now the amount of homerism and fickleness is just absurd. People do complete 180s from game to game around here. Maybe the age of posters should be published next to their username because I suspect that a lot of these crazy comments might be coming from 12 year old kids.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Drop 4 points from Kanes point totals everyone, back to 78

I'm not saying that. But where are the people starting "Patrick Kane: we are not worthy" threads while he's shredding the NHL? ;)

McDavid is awesome. But some are getting carried away.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
No kidding. Is it just my imagination or has HF become a whole lot dumber the last few years?? I feel like there used to be some pretty interesting and reasonable discussion on these boards but now the amount of homerism and fickleness is just absurd. People do complete 180s from game to game around here. Maybe the age of posters should be published next to their username because I suspect that a lot of these crazy comments might be coming from 12 year old kids.

Yep, or new fans. There's nothing wrong with being a new fan but you might lack the perspective that comes with watching the game for years/decades.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007

I hear what you're saying but I think younger fans should challenge themselves and have a thirst for hockey history. If not, they're only robbing themselves.

When I was 12, I was reading books on Yvon Cournoyer, Doug Harvey and Howie Morenz. I spent hours learning (and researching) the game's history. I begged my dad to take me to the HHOF when I was a kid. I was obsessed with hockey history books and couldn't devour enough of them.

Where has this type of (perhaps radical) fandom gone? Today it seems like most "young" fans just want to see the game through the lens of highlight videos and social media.

All 12 year old fans should treat themselves to the greatness of Richard, Harvey, Morenz, Orr, Hull, Gretzky, Lemieux, The Soviet Red Army, Forsberg, Fedorov, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad