Connor McDavid - We're not worthy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntsoftheSky

Sep 10, 2013
Toronto,ON
Care to tell me who he signed then? I don't follow the Oilers much, but I can tell you that I do follow most teams around the league besides my own. That's just short sighted assuming on your part.

Top available goalie: Talbot

Top available D: Sekera

What else was he supposed to do in his first season? Obviously he couldn't make a big trade without seeing the players for himself first, that would have been a catastrophic mistake. Honestly you should just stop, it's pretty clear you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Lol 1 game where he's held pointless? Had many great chances and made very good defensive plays and suddenly he's too soft and is invisible and has been figured out? You guys are flat out idiots. He's ****ing 19 and he's dominating the league and is arguably a top 5 player already. Smh hard. This site sometimes.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I do not trust anybody actually running that team. Even going into this season, they knew what they had, but they still didn't shore up that D. Outside of the first overalls on the team, they have no depth, no goaltending that sticks out at all, coach is seemingly okay with this and they're still in the basement. And I don't trust Chiarelli to actually do anything to improve the team. Edmonton fans thought it would be so different than the past regime, but they didn't do any research about what Chiarelli actually did in Boston. I just don't want to see McDavid wasted. So if Edmonton is seemingly a bottom/bubble team in the future (I'm talking anywhere from 3-7 years), I hope he jumps ship. That kind of player deserves to play for cups.

The Oilers actually were in a playoff spot on Dec. 18th, then their best d-man Klefbom got hurt with a freak staph infection which honestly may have hurt the Oilers more than the McDavid injury. Remove those two injuries or at least make them not half the damn season and this roster as is is likely 6-8 points better even conservatively, which would mean they'd still be in the hunt for a playoff spot, which all things considered is about where they should be.

Don't count on this team being near the bottom forever. It's only because of two freak injuries this season. Players like Nurse will only get better too and that will stabilize the back end.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
The Oilers actually were in a playoff spot this year, then their best d-man Klefbom got hurt with a freak staph infection which honestly may have hurt the Oilers more than the McDavid injury. Remove those two injuries or at least make them not half the damn season and this roster as is is likely 6-8 points better even conservatively, which would mean they'd still be in the hunt for a playoff spot, which all things considered is about where they should be.

Don't count on this team being near the bottom forever. It's only because of two freak injuries this season.

No.....not even you believe this.

There are many issues this year, just like past years, to blame it on "two injuries" is in now way realistic.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
No.....not even you believe this.

There are many issues this year, just like past years, to blame it on "two injuries" is in now way realistic.

McDavid misses 37 games, Klefbom is now close to missing 3 months.

You seriously think that doesn't account for a lost 8 points or so?

The Oilers lost something like *fifteen* 1 goal games without McDavid.

The team still has issues, but some of them are overblown.

And it is a fact they were in a playoff spot the night Klefbom got injured, unfortunately something that should have been a 1-2 week injury became a 3-4 month injury because of a freak leg infection (Klefbom wasn't even injured in the leg to begin with). Just bad luck, what can you say.

Right now the Oilers don't have the defensive depth to withstand a half-season long injury to Klefbom, Nurse and Davidson are both basically rookies and are then forced into roles they shouldn't be in. But they will get better as the years pass.

6 Karlsson 5

Aug 9, 2012
Lol 1 game where he's held pointless? Had many great chances and made very good defensive plays and suddenly he's too soft and is invisible and has been figured out? You guys are flat out idiots. He's ****ing 19 and he's dominating the league and is arguably a top 5 player already. Smh hard. This site sometimes.

He did not have many great chances , he did make some nice defensive plays though

6 Karlsson 5

Aug 9, 2012
McDavid misses 37 games, Klefbom is now close to missing 3 months.

You seriously think that doesn't account for a lost 8 points or so?

The Oilers lost something like *fifteen* 1 goal games without McDavid.

The team still has issues, but some of them are overblown.

And it is a fact they were in a playoff spot the night Klefbom got injured, unfortunately something that should have been a 1-2 week injury became a 3-4 month injury because of a freak leg infection (Klefbom wasn't even injured in the leg to begin with). Just bad luck, what can you say.

Who cares that you lost however 1 goal games without mcdavid, you can't just assume that he adds a goal that game while everyone else stays the same , when he's in the lineup everything changes for everyone else
They have 8 wins in the 20 games mcdavid is in the lineup, that isn't that good

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Who cares that you lost however 1 goal games without mcdavid, you can't just assume that he adds a goal that game while everyone else stays the same , when he's in the lineup everything changes for everyone else
They have 8 wins in the 20 games mcdavid is in the lineup, that isn't that good

I'm not assuming they win every 1 goal game, I'm saying it isn't unreasonable to say the McDavid + Klefbom injuries have cost the Oilers in the range of 8 points.

Take the best forward and best d-man off any team for 30+ games a piece and that's not an unreasonable expectation.

The Oilers and McDavid started slow this year losing their first 4 games in which McDavid had 1 point total.

Since breaking out vs. Calgary though in his fifth game, the Oilers are a more decent 8-8 with McDavid in the lineup, but chunk of that is still without Klefbom (not to mention RNH).

This is a team that hasn't played with its full roster for a single game this season.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I'm not assuming they win every 1 goal game, I'm saying it isn't unreasonable to say the McDavid + Klefbom injuries have cost the Oilers in the range of 8 points.

Take the best forward and best d-man off any team for 30+ games a piece and that's not an unreasonable expectation.

The Oilers and McDavid started slow this year losing their first 4 games in which McDavid had 1 point total.

Since breaking out vs. Calgary though in his fifth game, the Oilers are a more decent 8-8 with McDavid in the lineup, but chunk of that is still without Klefbom (not to mention RNH).

This is a team that hasn't played with its full roster for a single game this season.

Yeah I would agree that with better health they would atleast be in the hunt for a playoff spot. I don't think that is too unreasonable to assume.

6 Karlsson 5

Aug 9, 2012
I'm not assuming they win every 1 goal game, I'm saying it isn't unreasonable to say the McDavid + Klefbom injuries have cost the Oilers 8 points.

Fair I agree iv just seen so many oilers fans ( maybe it's cause I live by Edmonton haha ) that bring up that one goal game stat and act as if mcdavid would have won them all the games, but yeah with a full healthy roster ( which the oilers haven't had ) they'd be a lot better

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Some of the comments I've read on this thread are just nuts. Connor can't have a game where he scores 5 points and he is now a 2C/ and or someone who will be easily shutdown/ will back down when guys get physical.

This kid will be at the top of the league, if not the best player in the next three years.

I hope EDM can surround him with coaching and personal that can assist him properly because he's a special player.

mrcshlbrstrm*

He's not dominating the league and he's not arguably top 5 already. Slow down on the hyperbole and just enjoy the very solid rookie year he's putting together.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

Name me a team that has?

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Name me a team that has?

I think what he's saying is that the Oilers have lost their two best centres and best defencemen through the year. They also lead the league in man games lost and are by far and away the leaders in man games lost relative to impact. There's a chart somewhere.

McDavid
RNH
Eberle
Klefbom

All missed significant time this year.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
He's not dominating the league and he's not arguably top 5 already. Slow down on the hyperbole and just enjoy the very solid rookie year he's putting together.

You have to take in to account that he got injured man. No, he's not top 5. But in the near future 3-5 years down the road, he will be a brute force for the oilers and dominate

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa

I didnt think he played that well in spite of setting up numerous chances and having a couple himself.

To me, he can across a huge defensive minded Jets team that jammed him up at every opportunity and he didnt know how to handle it.

He will in another 30 games or so. Or by Oct at the latest. :nod:

Derfel*

Yikes if you can't see his obvious talent and the raw ability he possesses and the way he plays the game now as a 19 year old...

A big difference between "very talented" and "the best player evah".

He's good right now. He's great some nights. He has some work to do.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
A big difference between "very talented" and "the best player evah".

He's good right now. He's great some nights. He has some work to do.

What he's doing at 19 coming off a big injury is pretty outstanding, and watching him play you can see he's already one of the best players out there right now, and he's only going to get better.

PepperoniSlapshot*

McDavid got 2 goals and 5 points against the worst team in the league, not that big of deal.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
McDavid got 2 goals and 5 points against the worst team in the league, not that big of deal.

I always find this funny with new guys that enter the league. Same thing was being said with Sid and Ovi when they first came into the league..
When Gretz or Lemieux preyed on horrible teams, defencemen and goaltenders they were incredible plays, the best plays of all time. When the new guys do it it's whatever.. :popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad