Connor McDavid Playing With His PCL Torn In Half

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
is it? is surgery really the way to go? will that completely fix him or make it worse? no one knows for sure since we've seen doctors screw up before (see: Crosby)

ultimately it comes down to the individual

I hope he makes the choice that best suits his career. I wouldn't wish the injury problems Crosby experienced on another talent like McD....it sucks.

Just saying the knee is crucial to his play style granted the PCL is least important. Maybe rehab and it healed just fine. If so, great.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
of course I am...they've been wrong before as evidence by the Crosby misdiagnosis LOL

pure speculation and fantasy on your part

youve alrady been taught the difference between diagnosing brain injury and consussions compared to diagnosing torn ligaments. Stop using Crosby as an excuse as to why Doctors might be wrong in this case for suggesting surgery on Mcdavid. Sure mis-diagnosis happens but not as often as Doctors making the right diagnosis and decisions for patients.

Whats speculation? are you saying Oilers arent feeling the pressure?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
youve alrady been taught the difference between diagnosing brain injury and consussions compared to diagnosing torn ligaments. Stop using Crosby as an excuse as to why Doctors might be wrong in this case for suggesting surgery on Mcdavid. Sure mis-diagnosis happens but not as often as Doctors making the right diagnosis and decisions for patients.

Whats speculation? are you saying Oilers arent feeling the pressure?

that this is "short-term gain"...it's nonsense
and this year was probably the least amount of pressure for the club, relatively speaking because of the new GM hire and if McDavid opted for surgery...literally no pressure to make the playoffs

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
eBlmuw5.gif

That's how a torn PCL tears a fresh PCL.

11Messier

Jul 3, 2010
Edmonton
i dont think youre understanding me.

I understand this was Mcdavid's decision. He is an athlete. They all think that way.

Its on the organization to make hard decisions and not gamble and take risk on their Franchise player and the best player in the world for possible short term gain.

So let me get this straight. After million's of dollars spent on doctors giving pro's and con's on surgery. McDavid says "No Surgery". You are saying the Oilers should tell him, I don't care what you think, you're doing it. Would you be okay if it were the opposite. McDavid says he wants surgery and the Oilers jump in and say no surgery. I believe everyone should be in control of their own body and if someone "told" me I have to do something I don't want to, I would tell them to shove it.

I'm not sure what the contracts dictate for this. Does anyone know if an organization can force a player to have surgery?

Reactions: RattsSSV

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
So let me get this straight. After million's of dollars spent on doctors giving pro's and con's on surgery. McDavid says "No Surgery". You are saying the Oilers should tell him, I don't care what you think, you're doing it. Would you be okay if it were the opposite. McDavid says he wants surgery and the Oilers jump in and say no surgery. I believe everyone should be in control of their own body and if someone "told" me I have to do something I don't want to, I would tell them to shove it.

I'm not sure what the contracts dictate for this. Does anyone know if an organization can force a player to have surgery?

Nobody can force surgery.

But there's plenty of things Oilers can control like giving him more time to recover, geting more depth so he doesnt play 25 min a nigh, etc...

I also dont think Mcdavid is so stubborn and hard headed that he wouldnt listen to the Oilers if they said maybe the smart thing to do here is get surgery and fully recover Connor.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Nobody can force surgery.

But there's plenty of things Oilers can control like giving him more time to recover, geting more depth so he doesnt play 25 min a nigh, etc...

I also dont think Mcdavid is so stubborn and hard headed that he wouldnt listen to the Oilers if they said maybe the smart thing to do here is get surgery and fully recover Connor.
Several posts in and you still don't know what you are talking about. A simple Google search would do wonders for you right now.

Reactions: North

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I mean if the Oilers miss the playoffs then he should get right to it. If he stopped now he could make it in time for the 2020-21 season opener, but I mean the lockout could happen next year so I could see why he'd wait.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I know nothing about this so I ask this question genuinely, won't it eventually heal on it's own, like say, broken ribs?

From my very basic understanding, no. Completely torn ligaments won't heal because of the loss of blood flow.

You don't need a PCL, but your body will compensate for it. Rehab will strengthen the area to lessen that compensation and prevent any further injury.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I'm gonna guess they don't care about the players individual health as much as we all think. Losing a player like McDavid for an entire season would be brutal for business and the Oilers would be in last place right now. Playing through injuries is never a good thing
Imagine adding Lafrenière on an ELC to boot with McDavid and Draisatl though

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
If you look at how his knee bent when he suddenly shifted to beat Morgan Rielly, it isn't natural. That could only have been something that was facilitated by his PCL tear. It seems like McDavid may have inadvertently found a body hack to enhance his performance, and I would not be surprised if he has elective surgery this summer to sever his other PCL. That begs the question, should the league allow this? What if other players follow in his skating strides and have their PCLs severed as well? We could end up with a whole generation of ex-hockey players that have messed up knees - is that good for their off-ice health in the long run, especially with the rest of us are footing their health care with our taxes?

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
My point being, there is a reason they call it "practicing medicine". Not all decisions doctors make are correct. See: Sidney Crosby.

Classic goal post shift.

Actually no, your point "being" was this

Yeah.......the same team doctors have made many a questionable decision in the past

The SAME team doctors you said. These aren't the SAME team doctors. It's a large outside team.

So yeah, sorry.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Correct. It's either surgery or rehab.

Basically you build up the muscle around it to the point that there's no further injury from your body compensating for the loss of it. That's the route McDavid took.
You can play without an ACL too by building up enough muscle. That doesn't mean it's a good idea. It puts more stress on other knee structures, and coupled with the cartilage damage he sustained that apparently wasn't addressed, it's not a good recipe for a long future playing sports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad