Connor McDavid Playing With His PCL Torn In Half

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I'm gonna guess a world class athlete and a team of doctors know what they are doing.
It seems that there's no medical consensus on it. More research needed based on this article.

"PCL injuries often occur as part of a multiligamentous knee injury and occasionally occur in isolation. Although patients may be able to tolerate or compensate for a PCL-deficient knee, long-term outcomes after conservative care demonstrate a high rate of arthrosis in the medial and patellofemoral compartments resulting from altered knee kinematics and loads."

Nonoperative Treatment of PCL Injuries: Goals of Rehabilitation and the Natural History of Conservative Care

Sounds scary, hope they know what they're doing. Is it really worth the risk of not operating? The kid is only 23 and the oilers aren't a cup contender.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Players in the 50s didn't even have PCLs let alone play with a torn one.
Players in the 50's weren't moving fast enough to sustain an injury like this. Requires high speed + high force impact.

Reactions: Morrison

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I tore my PCL about 5 years ago and opted for PT instead of surgery. Looking back I wish I had the surgery done but was just being stubborn. I'm obviously not a professional athlete but I keep myself in good shape and at the time was playing in a Mens A league and after the PCL injury I lost most of my explosiveness and for months my knee would buckle sometimes just trying to walk down steps. It's incredible to me that he's not only been able maintain his play but actually increase his production. Hopefully this doesn't hurt his ability to play this well into his 30s.

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
I'm gonna guess a world class athlete and a team of doctors know what they are doing.

That's what they said about Crosby circa 2011.

I'm gonna guess they don't care about the players individual health as much as we all think. Losing a player like McDavid for an entire season would be brutal for business and the Oilers would be in last place right now. Playing through injuries is never a good thing

What about Drai??? They still have Drai and he don't need no McDavid to produce Art Ross numbers.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
This seems like a very short-sighted decision by the Oilers.

I'd imagine if the Oilers fall out of the playoff race by February then Mcdavid will opt for Surgery.

Unless he wants to just keep rehabbing it ?

Someone in the Oiler org needs to protect their investment and franchise.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
If I was earning $10.5 million and felt gratitude doing something I love as a job, I would work my ass off to keep that dream. I don't understand what is so exceptional about this case. Is it because he's the best? Even a 4th liner would do the same if he loved hockey. It's a part of him and his identity. Does he get a documentary, or what are we talking about here?

I we're talking impressive feats, how about Robin Lehner who was clinically depressed, abused alcohol and drugs, who some days wanted to kill himself, while still playing very impressive goaltending at a top level, for a really bad team (the Sabres in the dark days)? Until he got professional help, understood he had ADHD, has become even better and has evolved in his thinking as a human being?

If anything to me, the heroes are the small people around the stars, who make them able to shine.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Stupid thing to do nevertheless, no matter what "opinion" the doctor gave him.
- i just hope this isn't one of those "player decisions" =read: team forces you to play injured*

*that happens too often in pro sports, especially in the NHL it seems,
least caring about player safety since day 1 pro league

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
What a yikes post.

This is a message board. People can form opinions.

Do you question everyone if they are a scout when make opinions on prospects.

Are they a coach when they talk about game strategies?

Are we a GM if we question a trade or signing?
I'm asking why it's stupid

I mean, Chara has played without one for 5 years

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Do you think he'll get surgery in the off-season? ....thus him missing the first half of next season?

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
It seems that there's no medical consensus on it. More research needed based on this article.

"PCL injuries often occur as part of a multiligamentous knee injury and occasionally occur in isolation. Although patients may be able to tolerate or compensate for a PCL-deficient knee, long-term outcomes after conservative care demonstrate a high rate of arthrosis in the medial and patellofemoral compartments resulting from altered knee kinematics and loads."

Nonoperative Treatment of PCL Injuries: Goals of Rehabilitation and the Natural History of Conservative Care

Sounds scary, hope they know what they're doing. Is it really worth the risk of not operating? The kid is only 23 and the oilers aren't a cup contender.
So there's no consensus from medical professionals but a bunch of posters on a message board know better? Alright.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad