Player Discussion Connor McDavid Part VI: Hart, Ross and Lindsay Winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Wish I could print that article on some toilet paper to give some hobo to wipe his butt with.

He literally says multiple things in the interview that are positive about being an Oiler and why he signed longer term. Yet he still apparently sounds, to a leafs fan, that he just hates everything about it.

Oh well though, just adds to the enjoyment of the infinite leafs cup drought.

They hate us cause they anus.

Reactions: Llamamoto49

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Even though the two are buddies and train together in the summer.

It shows leadership and class to talk about the guy leaving rather than the guy coming in especially to the media.

Go to 5:08. If this idiot of a "writer" did his job, he wouldn't be pulling soundbites for his own narrative and cover the full quote. He handles the trade perfectly, and talks about how Neal coming in.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
It's understandable that Oiler fans will get riled up on that article. I thought it was garbage too. Just a Toronto write trying to make waves. If the Olier didn't make the playoffs the year before he signed the 8 year contract, I wonder if he would have signed for 5 years instead. I rather doubt it.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Burke said today he thinks Matthews will leave Toronto in five years. Posting this in here because the hypocrisy from Toronto media (not Burke but guys like Stellick) who beat the "McDavid can't wait to get out of Edmonton" drum but when someone says Matthews will leave they can't believe it.

Stellick was near tears at 2:48 when Burke says why.

Last edited:

mooseman7

Jan 10, 2004
Visit site
What a cringy article. Sucks he got paid to write such garbage.
Wow, sounds exactly like the fake news media! Surprise surprise! No facts ,just their opinion , which they call facts , to write a story , and call it news ..... and the general public reads it and believe it to be factually true.. journalism is dead.........

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Burke said today he thinks Matthews will leave Toronto in five years. Posting this in here because the hypocrisy from Toronto media (not Burke but guys like Stellick) who beat the "McDavid can't wait to get out of Edmonton" drum but when someone says Matthews will leave they can't believe it.

Stellick was near tears at 2:48 when Burke says why.

To be fair Burke also said that at some point McDavid is going to get tired of losing in Edmonton.
He also predicted that the Oilers will miss the playoffs this season and that will mean that McDavid will have made the playoffs 1 out of 5 years in Edmonton.
As a fan I want this team to make the playoffs this season and I think they can...that said we all know Burke is right about the potential of McDavid getting tired of losing.

In reality there is absolutely no point in worrying about whats going to happen in 5 years (hoping Matthews leaves) or in 7 years when McDavids contract is up and hoping he stays.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
To be fair Burke also said that at some point McDavid is going to get tired of losing in Edmonton.
He also predicted that the Oilers will miss the playoffs this season and that will mean that McDavid will have made the playoffs 1 out of 5 years in Edmonton.
As a fan I want this team to make the playoffs this season and I think they can...that said we all know Burke is right about the potential of McDavid getting tired of losing.

In reality there is absolutely no point in worrying about whats going to happen in 5 years (hoping Matthews leaves) or in 7 years when McDavids contract is up and hoping he stays.
Burke's point is fair about McDavid getting tired of losing.

But Stellick is a Leafs homer and doesn't understand why anyone would want to play here. His reaction when Burke said Matthews will leave is just funny when Stellick's colleagues do the exact same thing with every Ontario-born player who isn't on the Leafs. Players aren't itching to go to Toronto and never have.

Reactions: guymez

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Looks like the guys article is working as intended. Getting lots of clicks and comments.

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006

Was just going to post this article. One thing that jumped out was this:

According to one source with knowledge of the situation, McDavid isn’t anywhere close to the game shape. “He’s skating, but it’s light skating,” said the source who did not want to be identified. “He’s not skating at the level where he can do drills yet.”

Worried? Yes but these "sources" who know how legit or true it is.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Was just going to post this article. One thing that jumped out was this:

According to one source with knowledge of the situation, McDavid isn’t anywhere close to the game shape. “He’s skating, but it’s light skating,” said the source who did not want to be identified. “He’s not skating at the level where he can do drills yet.”

Worried? Yes but these "sources" who know how legit or true it is.
There was something last week that said McDavid looked great on the ice.

From everything that came out the past 48 hours just seems like he isn't doing contact yet and following the rehab program that he was put on.

Not really concerned at this point. Also, him skating at 70% is still better than most the league. So if he was that far out of shape I'd expect him to be walking with a f***ing cane.

Reactions: KYams17

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
What a cringy article. Sucks he got paid to write such garbage.

Here are some compete quotes. It should shed some light on the biases of that article.

On the Milan Lucic-for-James Neal trade: “It’s obviously disappointing to see a good friend in Looch go. He’s someone I got close with on the team. Great guy. Great family as well. I’m definitely going to miss them. Nealer’s got a lot of upside. He’s a guy who’s won a lot in this league, he’s scored a lot in this league. A down year last year, but he’s training up at Gary’s and he’s working as hard as I’ve ever seen him work. So it’s good to see.”''

On watching the Blues’ championship run: “They go from last to winning the Cup. It says a lot about them — it says a lot about our league. Turnarounds can happen quick, so that’s what we’re hoping for.”

“I’ve known Connor for a long time, and he’s a very quiet, hardworking, passionate kid,” Max Domi said.
“He’s one of the best hockey players in the world for a reason — and I know for a fact he’s been working his ass off all summer. He’s going to have an unbelievable year.”

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

But those are fair observations by Burke that you can't challenge. That article was based on body language and omitting portions of his quotes to make him look like a disgrunted union workage at a car factory.

Funny watching how speechless Stellick and the other guy (sorry don't know his name) got at that point. It was like "oh shit, that could actually happen couldn't it"

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

Ya, there is very good reason to think McD will be very tired of losing after this year. He knows he is the best player in the game, and not making the playoffs for 4/5 is unacceptable. That said, Mike Trout is the best player in baseball and seems to be fine with it. So maybe he doens't care all that much.

Regardless we have him under contract, no one wants to think of trading him, but bottom line if we do we get a haul in return. We have him as an asset one way or the other. Of course I hope we make the playoffs and he is happy to stay.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Ya, there is very good reason to think McD will be very tired of losing after this year. He knows he is the best player in the game, and not making the playoffs for 4/5 is unacceptable. That said, Mike Trout is the best player in baseball and seems to be fine with it. So maybe he doens't care all that much.

Regardless we have him under contract, no one wants to think of trading him, but bottom line if we do we get a haul in return. We have him as an asset one way or the other. Of course I hope we make the playoffs and he is happy to stay.
There in lies the reason I don’t think you see McDavid rush a trade request. He’s smart enough he likely realizes any team to get him would need to move too many assets to make it work that they likely wouldn’t be in a great position to challenge immediately anyways. Think of it as the Quebec / Philly situation with Lindros. What franchise do you think came out ahead in that one.

At this point he likely realizes this year is about positioning themselves for the next three or four years as there was no way to fix the mess in one summer. If things go really sour again maybe he starts wondering.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
But those are fair observations by Burke that you can't challenge. That article was based on body language and omitting portions of his quotes to make him look like a disgrunted union workage at a car factory.

Funny watching how speechless Stellick and the other guy (sorry don't know his name) got at that point. It was like "oh ****, that could actually happen couldn't it"

I am not even referencing the article. Didnt read it and I dont see any reason to read it.
It IMO is designed to trigger Oilers fans (which in turn generates interest) and based on history Oilers fans are a very easy mark.

Better to just give it the attention it deserves...which is no attention at all.

Reactions: fuswald and bone

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Nice, we still have a month to go anyway. No need to panic (until we start that is).
Everything I've read is that they had a plan with McDavid all summer. If it needs to be pushed a week or two, they will push that timeline back. But they really don't seem to want to push him sooner than the original schedule.

Gregor is saying that McDavid has been on the ice for two months already. So it's not like he's not skating. McDavid was also skating early morning before the biosteel camp with Gary Roberts, so it's not like the guy has had some sort of major setback. He's just not risking going into a camp that is very competitive and getting tangled up with someone. At the end of the day biosteel is an one of the more intense training camps out there, but it's not somewhere that you want to risk getting hurt.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I am not even referencing the article. Didnt read it and I dont see any reason to read it.
It IMO is designed to trigger Oilers fans (which in turn generates interest) and based on history Oilers fans are a very easy mark.

Better to just give it the attention it deserves...which is no attention at all.
I rarely read anything about the Oilers unless it's from a trusted media guy or from Edmonton. When has anyone outside of Edmonton ever really said anything nice about the Oilers? It's just a waste of time and something that causes unnecessary stress. We have enough of that just watching our team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad