Player Discussion Connor McDavid Part IV (Nominated For The Calder)

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Seguin built his team net out..
Nurse's team got plenty of jam..
Simmonds team i cant\shouldnt comment on.. Lets just say he wanted Nurse on it as well.
DelZotto went all out skill.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Found last year's thread about this camp. If anyone needs me I'll be jumping off a bridge...
It could just be the angle but McDavid looked taller to me

Mc_David_Hall1.jpg

Mc_David_Hall3.jpg

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Found last year's thread about this camp. If anyone needs me I'll be jumping off a bridge...

Too bad Adam Larsson didn't go to the Biosteel camp.

You seem sad, but I have a feeling you will be very happy seeing a team with a truly competent defenceman.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Also, I was thinking today...

Imagine we ended up having to pick Marner/Hanifin last draft. There would have been absolutely no hope for this franchise. I had stopped watching a lot of the games. Last year I watched 81 of 82.

McDavid changed the entire organization, and I believe without him this team would have been guaranteed another 5-10 years of bottom feeding. Stanley Cup teams need a generational centre and we got ours.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Nurse looks monstrous. Haha, holy ****. Someone was busy this offseason.

Draft year Nurse.
darnell_nurse_2013_nhl_draft_062713.jpg

Too bad Adam Larsson didn't go to the Biosteel camp.

You seem sad, but I have a feeling you will be very happy seeing a team with a truly competent defenceman.

Of course I'm happy to have Larsson on the team. Still a terrible trade.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

Imagine we ended up having to pick Marner/Hanifin last draft. There would have been absolutely no hope for this franchise. I had stopped watching a lot of the games. Last year I watched 81 of 82.

McDavid changed the entire organization, and I believe without him this team would have been guaranteed another 5-10 years of bottom feeding. Stanley Cup teams need a generational centre and we got ours.

Stanley Cup teams need a franchise center (e.g., Toews, Kopitar, Datsyuk, etc...); the Oilers getting a generational center means that at some point we may be fortunate enough to win a Cup with McDavid carrying a line with our version of Conor Sheary on the wing.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB

Stanley cup teams do not need a generational centre.

If they needed a generational centre then Pittsburgh would have won every cup since Gretzky since they've had the only generational centres. People are too liberal with generational.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Stanley cup teams do not need a generational centre.

If they needed a generational centre then Pittsburgh would have won every cup since Gretzky since they've had the only generational centres. People are too liberal with generational.

Maybe not generational, but certainly a top 3-4 centre in the league.

Here are the centres who have led their teams centres in points during the playoffs to cups in the past 20 years.

Crosby/Malkin
Toews
Kopitar
Datsyuk/Zetterberg
Getzlaf
Staal
Richards(Brad)
Yzerman
Sakic/Forsberg
Modano

So perhaps not "generational", but certainly you need a top 5 centre league-wide carrying your team. Only exception in the past 20 years to this rule is New Jersey who won with Gomez and Niewendyk as their top 2 centres. Their back end was the best in the NHL at the time with Stevens, Niedermayer, Rafalski, and Daneyko.

RNH and Draisaitl are nowhere near nor will they ever be near the top 5 centres in the league. So, unless we were suddenly blessed with Larsson, Klefbom, and Nurse all improving to being top defencemen in the league, the hope of getting close to a cup simply wouldn't be there in my mind.

20 years is a good sample size I think.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Maybe not generational, but certainly a top 3-4 centre in the league.

Here are the centres who have led their teams centres in points during the playoffs to cups in the past 20 years.

Crosby/Malkin
Toews
Kopitar
Datsyuk/Zetterberg
Getzlaf
Staal
Richards(Brad)
Yzerman
Sakic/Forsberg
Modano

So perhaps not "generational", but certainly you need a top 5 centre league-wide carrying your team. Only exception in the past 20 years to this rule is New Jersey who won with Gomez and Niewendyk as their top 2 centres. Their back end was the best in the NHL at the time with Stevens, Niedermayer, Rafalski, and Daneyko.

RNH and Draisaitl are nowhere near nor will they ever be near the top 5 centres in the league. So, unless we were suddenly blessed with Larsson, Klefbom, and Nurse all improving to being top defencemen in the league, the hope of getting close to a cup simply wouldn't be there in my mind.

20 years is a good sample size I think.

? Where's Krejci for Boston's run? Both him and Eric Staal I think are quite questionable for top 5 centre league wide.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
? Where's Krejci for Boston's run? Both him and Eric Staal I think are quite questionable for top 5 centre league wide.

Oops I forgot Krejci/Bergeron from Boston.

Staal put up the 3rd amount of points in the NHL for centres that year. Don't see how he's at worst 4th/5th best centre that year. He was a beast.

I suppose Krejci isn't considered a top 5 centre but I am willing to bet most playoff teams would pick Bergeron in their top 5.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Connor's comments on the Oilers now:

"I think we're just so different than we have been before, we're so much bigger .... of course losing Taylor is a big loss but you add in a guy who is y'know one of the toughest guys in the league (Lucic) if not the toughest guy in the league, and you know he has so much respect, and you add in a defenceman like Larsson who I think is pretty underrated and you don't really know how good he is until you've actually played against him on the ice, I've played against him a few times and it's not very fun, definitely glad to have him on our team"

:laugh: at the Larsson no fun bit.

Also says getting the captaincy would "mean so much" to him, something he'd be so proud of, but doesn't want to talk too much about, wants to go into camp and show people "he's not an 18 year old kid anymore".

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Holy crap Nurse is huge. Even McDavid looks like he is going to be as big as some military drill sergeant from Starship Troopers once he fills out

Hall looks jacked. ****, I miss him already.

Me too... Sucks that he got traded to a bad team too. Would've liked to watch him in the playoffs!

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Me too... Sucks that he got traded to a bad team too. Would've liked to watch him in the playoffs!

He'll be solid for them. I know they are my team in the East I'll cheer for, wish Hall nothing but the best (except when we meet for Lord Stanley and crush the Devils :naughty:).

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Nurse looks like a 45 year old MMA fighter.

He looks 2x the size he did last offseason. Holy smokes.

Ive seen him around Edmonton last year, including near end of season and he was a specimen. Havent really seen that many u22 guys as big or athletic as him

But a full offseason of bulking up, he could be 220-225 at camp

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
Connor's comments on the Oilers now:

"I think we're just so different than we have been before, we're so much bigger .... of course losing Taylor is a big loss but you add in a guy who is y'know one of the toughest guys in the league (Lucic) if not the toughest guy in the league, and you know he has so much respect, and you add in a defenceman like Larsson who I think is pretty underrated and you don't really know how good he is until you've actually played against him on the ice, I've played against him a few times and it's not very fun, definitely glad to have him on our team"

:laugh: at the Larsson no fun bit.

Also says getting the captaincy would "mean so much" to him, something he'd be so proud of, but doesn't want to talk too much about, wants to go into camp and show people "he's not an 18 year old kid anymore".

where were these comments from?

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Just stumbled on to this on Youtube. Never seen it before. Oilers talking to McDavid about the draft.

He explains what was going on with him and Strome in the crowd.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

What's BioSteel putting in their juice? Nurse looks like Jon Jones from this angle

duul

Jun 21, 2010
no surprise really, but:

Yep, no surprise. Will be cool to see the youngest captain in NHL history strut his stuff next season. With incredible breakout passes from healthy Larsson, Klefbom, and Davidson, I expect 110 points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad