Player Discussion Connor McDavid Part IV (Nominated For The Calder)

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
It'll be 10 more years before it's even conceivable.

Chiarelli will give him a piece of paper with 8years times BLANK million per year on it, tell him to write in what he wants, and the deal will be done.

That reminds me of how negotiations between Walter Payton and the Bears used to go..haha

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Chiarelli will give him a piece of paper with 8years times BLANK million per year on it, tell him to write in what he wants, and the deal will be done.

It will likely go down as easiest contract talk in history

*Chiarelli calls McDavid on a Friday night when hes at the Pint*
*Cons, you how much do you want, your contract is up next year"
"I dunno, 11 mil?, nah 11.5, I want a new lambo"
"Done, have fun"

Oiler11

Oct 6, 2006
I'm saying this as a huge Edmonton fan, but while it's not a tragedy that he missed out on the LEAFS (that's idiotic), it might turn out to be a bit of a tragedy that he ended up here. The organization is just starting to fix its management issues and might get better, but this kid deserves a stanley cup and a good supporting cast, and last night was an indication of how ridiculous this could get if the fixes don't work. 5-2, 5 points. Rest of team doesn't show up. That's not something any great player deserves, and it has to go away, sooner than later.

There's a narrative playing out how Edmonton should be embarrassed McDavid is leading their offense. That's ridiculous. He's arguably the best player on Earth, at 19. He'd drive the offense of nearly every team he'd be on, let alone a roster that finished near the bottom last year. He's surrounded in Edmonton by great young forwards, goaltending has finally been addressed and defense is top on the list to be acquired this offseason. This franchise is finally looking like it is coming out of a decade of suck with a huge roar (new rink too) and he's unlucky? Buffalo fans are crying that Eichel has no one to play with, would McDavid have been luckier to land there? Who is his Eberle in Toronto?

Chill. Draisaitl is in a bit of a slump and our 1a center RNH is injured. Klefbom is injured. A fully healthy lineup probably sees us a couple of points out of the playoffs. Yet it's all doom and gloom around here, even when our prodigy does what prodigies do, scoring like a maniac. No one was complaining when 99 would get 7 points and no other line tallied. It happens, enjoy it instead of resenting it, you're lucky to witness it.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I'd love to see a video of Leafs' fans watching last night's game and being crushed by McDavid, the guy everyone knows belongs in Toronto by divine right.

Sort of like that video of them watching the draft lottery and having their souls sucked out of them when the Oilers' card came up.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
It will likely go down as easiest contract talk in history

*Chiarelli calls McDavid on a Friday night when hes at the Pint*
*Cons, you how much do you want, your contract is up next year"
"I dunno, 11 mil?, nah 11.5, I want a new lambo"
"Done, have fun"

Probably.

Honest to God, though, McDavid strikes me as the type of person that would rather have team success. Last night with the pass to Eberle was a perfect example.

I can pretty easily see a similar deal to Crosby's 2nd deal. Max term at 8.5 or 9 million to keep a hopefully not crap by then team together rather than hold Edmonton over a barrel for 13/14 million.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
There's a narrative playing out how Edmonton should be embarrassed McDavid is leading their offense. That's ridiculous. He's arguably the best player on Earth, at 19. He'd drive the offense of nearly every team he'd be on, let alone a roster that finished near the bottom last year. He's surrounded in Edmonton by great young forwards, goaltending has finally been addressed and defense is top on the list to be acquired this offseason. This franchise is finally looking like it is coming out of a decade of suck with a huge roar (new rink too) and he's unlucky? Buffalo fans are crying that Eichel has no one to play with, would McDavid have been luckier to land there? Who is his Eberle in Toronto?

Chill. Draisaitl is in a bit of a slump and our 1a center RNH is injured. Klefbom is injured. A fully healthy lineup probably sees us a couple of points out of the playoffs. Yet it's all doom and gloom around here, even when our prodigy does what prodigies do, scoring like a maniac. No one was complaining when 99 would get 7 points and no other line tallied. It happens, enjoy it instead of resenting it, you're lucky to witness it.

I wonder if Panther fans are embarrassed that an 18 year old was their best defenceman last year.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Probably.

Honest to God, though, McDavid strikes me as the type of person that would rather have team success. Last night with the pass to Eberle was a perfect example.

I can pretty easily see a similar deal to Crosby's 2nd deal. Max term at 8.5 or 9 million to keep a hopefully not crap by then team together rather than hold Edmonton over a barrel for 13/14 million.

It still blows my mind that a rookie with 2 goals and a empty net would do that. He could have easily burned the D and got a hatty and all the praise. Yet he dishes it to a teammate to get his

His attitude is rubbing off on the other stars too. Even Hall had a point blank chance on a 5 on 3 last night and dished it to Eberle for a hatty chance

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton
Mcdavid will want to take less to help the team win, but the union will push him towards max value. He'll either take 8 years at 9.7 per, or 8 years at 97 million total

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I'd love to see a video of Leafs' fans watching last night's game and being crushed by McDavid, the guy everyone knows belongs in Toronto by divine right.

Sort of like that video of them watching the draft lottery and having their souls sucked out of them when the Oilers' card came up.

Lots of sour grapes and irrational spite talk about the Oilers after their loss last night. Kind of expect that from fans though.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
What a treat he is to watch.
I want him to win a Calder but I think he lost his chance. Unless he finishes the season at like 5 per game hahaah

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Hope Connor can outdo the great one. Found this on Yahoo.

Wayne Gretzky scored his 95th 5-point game on October 11, 1997 in Vancouver's GM Place. Gretzky scored his 50th career hat-trick plus 2 assists for N.Y. Rangers, who won the game 6 - 3 against the Vancouver Canucks. This statistic was captioned on the broadcast and mentioned by color commentator John Davidson after Gretzky scored his 5th point. This game was memorable because it was the first game that Mark Messier played as a Canuck against his former Ranger teammates, and everyone was anticipating that Messier would show the Rangers that they should have kept him in N.Y. But Gretzky stole the show and the headlines - he set up so many scoring chances that he could easily have had 10 points that night, if his teammates hadn't missed the net so many times. After Gretzky scored his 3rd goal (5th point), much to Messier's chagrin, the Vancouver fans gave Gretzky a standing ovation.

I imagine Hall in Messier position but in Toronto.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015

That sounds about correct assuming the trend of long contracts continues for star players. They want him so bad there is severe delusion out there on reality. Like I say, I never really realized this until now.

Makes me think the Stamkos thing is mainly created in the media by fan delusion as well. (other than a couple Likes on FB). If Stamkos signs with TB soon, then this is going to turn into full psychosis.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Probably.

And realize that by not taking the max salary, there will actually still be some cap room to surround him with decent players. Toronto is willing to spend their entire wad on one shiny new player at any cost (at least the fans are) and then their hands are tied.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I wonder if Panther fans are embarrassed that an 18 year old was their best defenceman last year.

For me that's not the point. It's embarrassing that the kid is so important that the Oilers are steaming crap without him. One might argue that they're steaming crap with him but imagine if they had not won the draft lottery and had taken some substantially lesser player and McDavid was playing with the Leafs or Sabres.

scb23

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton
For me that's not the point. It's embarrassing that the kid is so important that the Oilers are steaming crap without him. One might argue that they're steaming crap with him but imagine if they had not won the draft lottery and had taken some substantially lesser player and McDavid was playing with the Leafs or Sabres.

McDavid wasn't the only injury that has crippled this season. Yak, Ebs, Nuge, Klefbom all missing significant time is hard to battle through. All things considered, I'm not disappointed with the season. Look at the Habs without Price. Imagine the them without Galchenyuck, Subban, and Plakanecs...

They've still improved and that's huge to me. It's pretty easy for eastern media to **** on the Oilers. Until we're in the playoffs it's expected really, but we're not that far off IMHO. A couple key pieces on the blue line and we're a scary team.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
McDavid wasn't the only injury that has crippled this season. Yak, Ebs, Nuge, Klefbom all missing significant time is hard to battle through. All things considered, I'm not disappointed with the season. Look at the Habs without Price. Imagine the them without Galchenyuck, Subban, and Plakanecs...

They've still improved and that's huge to me. It's pretty easy for eastern media to **** on the Oilers. Until we're in the playoffs it's expected really, but we're not that far off IMHO. A couple key pieces on the blue line and we're a scary team.

This is true but I'm still scared to death of the effort they put forward in many games, even with these key injuries. I just hate the feeling that they've thrown in the towel before the game starts. Hoping they really go for the best possible results this year yet instead of sticking to the bottom for a best possible draft pick. The mental benefits of this are needed with these players in order to get a better start next season.

scb23

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton
This is true but I'm still scared to death of the effort they put forward in many games, even with these key injuries. I just hate the feeling that they've thrown in the towel before the game starts. Hoping they really go for the best possible results this year yet instead of sticking to the bottom for a best possible draft pick. The mental benefits of this are needed with these players in order to get a better start next season.

Completely agree. I sincerely hope chia will be purging this team of mentally weak players ASAP. That attitude has been a plague.

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
CbCnaxSUkAA1k_c.jpg_large_zpsmo56fed3.jpg

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB
Mcdavid will want to take less to help the team win, but the union will push him towards max value. He'll either take 8 years at 9.7 per, or 8 years at 97 million total

Does the NHLPA push for max value the way it used to? Cost certainty means that McDavid making more simply means someone else makes less.

In any event, it'll be an 8 year x 12 million dollar contract or thereabouts, making him the highest-paid player in the league, but just.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Lots of "hypothetical" questions floating around on "offer sheets" anyway these days. :deadhorse

Of course some are just asking for a friend though. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad