Connor McDavid and Jesse Puljujärvi Vs Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner going forward?

Which tandem do you choose going forward and why?

• Connor McDavid and Jesse Puljujärvi

Votes: 262 50.0%
  • Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner

Votes: 146 27.9%
  • Toronto Fan vote McDavid and Puljujärvi

Votes: 9 1.7%
  • Toronto Fan vote Matthews and Marner

Votes: 53 10.1%
  • Oiler Fan vote McDavid and Puljujärvi

Votes: 43 8.2%
  • Oiler Fan vote Matthews and Marner

Votes: 11 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
This poll features three excellent players and a guy.

Interesting to look at the PPG's of the players involved here.

1. Matthews - 1.54
2. Marner - 1.41
3. McDavid - 1.35
4. Puljujarvi - 0.13

Matthews and Puljujarvi haven't played full seasons but certainly interesting.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
It’s a very weak argument. Lemieux is generational. And Jagr is as close as they come. If you need to exaggerate to make a point then chances are your argument is very weak to begin with.
Why is basic math hard for you to understand.

I'll make it easier for you

Sakic and Forsberg > Jagr and Kovalev.

does that help you

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario

1. Matthews - 1.54
2. Marner - 1.41
3. McDavid - 1.35
4. Puljujarvi - 0.13

Again, further illustrating my point. Whenever Matthews regresses back down a bit, even if he goes down to like regular PPG, it would still leave him at the equivalent of over 90 points.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

1. Matthews - 1.54
2. Marner - 1.41
3. McDavid - 1.35
4. Puljujarvi - 0.13

Marner 1.41 PPG
Puljujarvi 0.13 PPG

Yep. I could see how that West Coast Orka poster thinks they’re basically the same level!

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Why is basic math hard for you to understand.

I'll make it easier for you

Sakic and Forsberg > Jagr and Kovalev.

does that help you

[mod]

The fact McDavid and poolparty are winning this poll is insane!

Everyone knows hockey is not the same as basketball where 1 or 2 superstars is enough to win.

And yet these same fans vote for the clearly worse option

Last edited by a moderator:

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
McDavid is a great player but his value often gets blown so out proportion. He's not more valuable that two franchise-level talents in Matthews and Marner and this is coming from someone has absolutely no love for the Leafs. Matthews will be a 90 point player and Marner will probably be around the same. McDavid probably only outscores each of them individually by 10-15 points, most years. Puljujarvi hasn't really shown me anything that indicates he's going to be a difference maker in the NHL.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
I really don't understand how the oilers duo is winning this poll

Likely a top 5 center and a top 5 winger vs the best player and at this point someone that is looking like a big bust or atleast a fringe NHL player. This is basically like would you rather have Toews and Kane or a Crosby and a random plug back in 2010.

edit: okay I guess this poll was made back in September

Last edited:
Reactions: meng666

golieguy19

Jan 17, 2017
McDavid is the obvious best player of the 4. JP is the clear worst. The gap between McDavid and the Leafs 2 is smaller than the gap between them and PJ.

Its Marner/Matthews.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Puljujarvi is barely an NHL player, why choose him and not someone like Draisaitl?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
[QUOTE="Stamkos4life, post: 153145205, member: 309179"[mod]

The fact McDavid and poolparty are winning this poll is insane!

Everyone knows hockey is not the same as basketball where 1 or 2 superstars is enough to win.

And yet these same fans vote for the clearly worse option[/QUOTE]

The poll was made in the summer with Marner coming off a 69 point season, and expectations that Puljujarvi might establish himself as a legit player this season. Now, Marner finished last year strong and looked poised for this type of breakout, but I think a lot of people didn't realize how good he actually is until now.

Similarly McDavid finished the year strong, and with his PP production looking unsustainably low last year, a lot of people were predicting 120+ points this year. I think a lot of people were looking at it as a 120 point generational player plus a potential top line winger in Puljujarvi versus a franchise center in Matthews and a top line winger in Marner. If that's the scenario, I don't think it's unreasonable to take the Oilers.

Of course, while it's still early, Marner is now making it look like the end of last season was just the beginning and he's going to be a franchise winger you can build around, while it looks like McDavid might not be more productive after all, and Puljujarvi isn't looking promising. The way things look now, it's two franchise players against a generational player and a potential bust. In that case, it's the Leafs players, and I think a current poll would heavily lean in their favour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Stamkos4life

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
This thread is filled with some hillariously bad takes from back in September and people wearing their strongest prescription anti-Leaf blinders.

Surprised some of the posters haven’t gone back to delete their comments out of embarrassment yet

Reactions: IPS

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Puljujarvi is barely an NHL player, why choose him and not someone like Draisaitl?

Would certainly be a far more sensible comparison but sense doesn't enter into it given the results.

Kind of drives home the old adage about when you find yourself on the side of majority, you should stop and reconsider your position.

The Mentalist

Jun 29, 2018
How's Puljujarvi doing? Everyone was getting pretty mad at me when I was telling them he was a bust the whole way along. Kekalainen passing him at the draft should have been a tell-tale sign but people just want to buy the hype no matter what :laugh: how this scrub ever won a poll over Marner I will never know, that Leafs hater koolaid is one hell of a drug.

Anyone still remember his preseason breakout game thread started by TWS. Jesse Puljujarvi Possible Breakout Season. :laugh:

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
The poll was made in the summer with Marner coming off a 69 point season, and expectations that Puljujarvi might establish himself as a legit player this season. Now, Marner finished last year strong and looked poised for this type of breakout, but I think a lot of people didn't realize how good he actually is until now.

Similarly McDavid finished the year strong, and with his PP production looking unsustainably low last year, a lot of people were predicting 120+ points this year. I think a lot of people were looking at it as a 120 point generational player plus a potential top line winger in Puljujarvi versus a franchise center in Matthews and a top line winger in Marner. If that's the scenario, I don't think it's unreasonable to take the Oilers.

Of course, while it's still early, Marner is now making it look like the end of last season was just the beginning and he's going to be a franchise winger you can build around, while it looks like McDavid might not be more productive after all, and Puljujarvi isn't looking promising. The way things look now, it's two franchise players against a generational player and a potential bust. In that case, it's the Leafs players, and I think a current poll would heavily lean in their favour.

Ah thanks for that, didnt realize the thread was that old.

But I still wouldve chosen the leafs over the Oilers even back then.

Mcdavid is only human

Reactions: Keanu Reeves

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
This is Marner/Matthews and honestly I don't see how anyone could think otherwise. Before anyone calls me a homer: Yes, McDavid is indisputably the best player in the world. No, neither Marner nor Matthews is on his level. So me choosing them is far from a case of me just being a biased Leafs fan. But two elite talents against the best player in the world and Puljujarvi, who has proven/shown absolutely nothing to date? Sorry, but as unbelievable as McDavid is, I'm taking Marner and Matthews, as both are elite players capable of driving a line. The depth that creates in a lineup is harder for teams to defend against than McDavid alone.

Edit: FFS, I didn't realize that this was a bumped thread.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
McDavid

Matthews

Marner
Pulujarvi

Uh.. can you be anymore biased?

You get upsed, that people say that Matthews and Marner first need to score more than 70 points to be called as "90 point players" and you called Matthews also a 50 goal scorer. On the other hand, you call Puljujärvi as a 40 point player... so sad..

If were going by your standarts; MacDavid is 130-140pts player.. and Pulju is more likely a 50-60pts.. that's 180-200pts vs 180pts TML duo..

Agree to disagree, I guess. Off the top of my head I have: (in no particular order)

McDavid
Crosby
Malkin
Bergeron
Kopitar
Tavares
Schiefele
MacKinnon
Backstrom
Getzlaf
Stamkos

...comfortably ahead of him (matthews) with Eichel, Draisaitl, Kuznetsov, Seguin, and Barkov in the same tier as him.

Flames fan here.
I would take McDavid all by himself over Matthews & Marner.
No need to throw in Poolparty to sweeten the deal.

So McDavid only improves by 2 points but the other guys improve 20+ each.
Seems legit. McDavid is better then both combined. Put him with a random scrub making min pay and they outscore the Leafs duo.

Ooh man. Some goodies in here.

Will be even better when the season is over to come back to this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad