Connor Hellebuyck's seemingly excellent season.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I think Vasilevsky will likely win both Vezina and Jennings, but Hellebuyck deserves a nomination at least.

I find he only struggles when he has no help for a certain amount of time. Otherwise, I think he's just amazing, I had faith in him since he debuted for the Jets.

He'd have to go on a pretty crazy run to win the Jennings at this point

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Odd thread.

Teams in general want their goalies to have a high low danger save% because then they know that with proper defense they can really affect the end result and it usually is easy to see what went wrong in a loss. If, on the other hand, a goalie's constantly allowing softies while having a good high danger save% it's much more difficult to know what went wrong and the players could start feeling like playing defense might not even matter.

As such, I completely disagree with your analysis and believe that reality is actually the very opposite.

Reactions: libertarian

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Literally one of the most basic stats. I'd be shocked if NHL teams weren't using this data, and stuff far more advanced to track their goalies play. SV% and GAA are horribly misleading.

How most teams/coaches/scouts gauge goaltending:

Watching for...
- Consistency
- Positioning
- Overall Mobility
- Lateral Movement
- Puck Handling
- Rebound Control
- Puck Tracking Ability
- etc..

What GM's like Chayka look for:
- Spreadsheet lookin' good!

Reactions: GoJetsGo55

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
How is save percentage and goals against "horribly" misleading? You're really going to sit there and say a guy with a record of 32-10-8, GAA of 2.39 and a SP of .921 really isn't actually that good because...advanced stats?

Quite literally the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Jets fans the last 5 years said Pavelec was terrible. We were told he was actually good, but our defence was just bad. Now we have an actual good goalie in Hellebuyck, but he’s bad because our defense is now suddenly good?

Hfboards really are a fickle bunch

Reactions: GoJetsGo55 and cg98

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Jets fans the last 5 years said Pavelec was terrible. We were told he was actually good, but our defence was just bad. Now we have an actual good goalie in Hellebuyck, but he’s bad because our defense is now suddenly good?

Hfboards really are a fickle bunch

just 1 person, the op claiming Helley's numbers are inflated

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad