Connor Hellebuyck's seemingly excellent season.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
On paper Hellebuyck seems to be having a fantastic season. A record of: 32-10-8 with a GAA of 2.39 and a Sv% of 92.16. But with advanced metrics, we now have something known as DSv%, which is your actual save percentage minus your expected save percentage.

5on5, of all goalies that played at least 1,500 minutes, Hellebuyck is 24/29 in DSv%. He has a net negative in it as well with a -0.51 DSv%. Meaning he is actually doing worse than what is expected from him. Winnipeg's defense deserves a ton of credit for the season he is having.

Hellebuyck is facing a league-low of 3.98 high danger shots per 60 5on5.

I'm glad Winnipeg found a goalie that they could depend on, but the reality is not only is Hellebuyck not having an excellent season, he's actually having a below average season as far as what's expected from him.

Those that think Hellebuyck deserves Vezina nomination are the same that probably overrated Dubnyk not realizing Dubnyk is constantly performing below his expected save percentage.

And while I agree 100% goalies can influence stats with their puck handling and rebound control, Hellebuyck isn't good in either category, meaning his defense does far more work to influece his expected save percentage.

Check DSv% on: Corsica | Goalie Stats

Last edited:

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
On paper Hellebuyck seems to be having a fantastic season. A record of: 32-10-8 with a GAA of 2.39 and a Sv% of 92.16. But with advanced metrics, we now have something known as DSv%, which is your actual save percentage minus your expected save percentage.

5on5, of all goalies that played at least 1,500 minutes, Hellebuyck is 24/29 in DSv%. He has a net negative in it as well with a -0.51 DSv%. Meaning he is actually doing worse than what is expected from him. Winnipeg's defense deserves a ton of credit for the season he is having.

Hellebuyck is facing a league-low of 3.98 high danger shots per 60 5on5.

I'm glad Winnipeg found a goalie that they could depend on, but the reality is not only is Hellebuyck not having an excellent season, he's actually having a below average season as far as what's expected from him.

Those that think Hellebuyck deserves Norris nomination are the same that probably overrated Dubnyk not realizing Dubnyk is constantly performing below his expected save percentage.

And while I agree 100% goalies can influence stats with their puck handling and rebound control, Hellebuyck isn't good in either category, meaning his defense does far more work to influece his expected save percentage.
I'd like to have a word with them

Reactions: Boud

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
uh.. no no no

I remember at the start of the season people said WPG's underlying #s is a worry... Well, they're still doing well because you can't apply the same principle to every team

Also got attacked for saying they were not a below average team last year.. because corsi

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I agree that Winnipeg has done a much better job defensively this year in limiting quality chances.

I am OK with your conclusion if we can parlay that for his upcoming contract negotiations.

In fairness to Hellebuyck, he always lavishes praise on how the team plays in front of him and for good reason.

I am good with the collective results.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I could see it. I see Hellebuyck's play as pretty solid as oppose to dominant. He carried the team the first month or so.

Good to hear the Jets are doing such a great job limiting dangerous chances.

Last time Maurice had the squad playing this well as a team Pavelec and Hutch both had their best years.

dratbunnies

Nov 23, 2009
Winnipeg Manitoba
Interesting. Good piece of context to keep in mind, and it has definitely swayed my opinion but remember it is still just a piece of the context. Your conclusion is stronger than it merits IMO

Reactions: Flair Hay

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Helle was stealing games for us earlier in the year when we were getting outshot and outchanced. As the Jets shot totals (offensively and defensively) have improved over the year he hasn't had to, and we've just needed him to be solid.

I agree that he shouldn't win or be a contender for the vezina. The Jets defense for the most part (and when healthy) have done a great job limiting shots and high danger chances against, and Helle has benefitted from it.

A lot of goalies from other teams with similar stats face a higher and more dangerous volume of shots.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think Vasilevsky will likely win both Vezina and Jennings, but Hellebuyck deserves a nomination at least.

I find he only struggles when he has no help for a certain amount of time. Otherwise, I think he's just amazing, I had faith in him since he debuted for the Jets.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
So you're telling me that a goalie who has 2.39 GAA and 92.2 save pct is performing way worse than he should.

This is why i hate all these advanced stats. I watch every Jets game and i can tell you as good as we have been, we are not THAT good that if our goalie is not posting the best numbers in the league he sucks.

Hellebuyck's stolen games for us this season. He hasn't had many stinkers. His numbers are great. What more can you ask ?

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Anyone who has watched him play a fair bit this year can see the worthlessness of the OP statistics.

He has been a rock.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
If you go deep enough, you can create a mathematical formula to support or deride a player's performance.

As a Jets fan, I'm not too worried right now. Even after the Nashville game :help:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
If you go deep enough, you can create a mathematical formula to support or deride a player's performance.

As a Jets fan, I'm not too worried right now. Even after the Nashville game :help:
How is factoring in the quality of shots a goalie faces "going deep"?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Not sure I agree with judging goalies based only on 5v5 play.

I can understand it more with skaters since PP/PK time can vary wildly among players, but every goalie is important on the PK.

FWIW Helle scores really well by this metric when you adjust it to PK only. 3rd after Gibson and Andersen. That counts too.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
All Winnipeg really needed was competent goaltending to take the next step. Going from disastrous to competent is a huge step up.

I'm not putting my money on the jets, but they are my bandwagon team of choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad