Connor Hellebuyck

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Do we have the best pick ups after round three of the draft or what! This guy is the real deal, great scouting, bet that scout is smiling now!

Cool story about his being scouted by Rick St Croix. He was scouting a different goalie that was playing against Hellboy and came back and said "Forget about that guy. We need to draft Hellebyck!" That looks to be St Croix's claim to fame as a scout though.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
what are the chances that if there are some mean nothing games later on, weather its due to clinching a playoff spot or knocked out of playoff contention, that Jets show their love to Helle and call him up for a few games?

I know Id love to see him get in a few games this year

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
what are the chances that if there are some mean nothing games later on, weather its due to clinching a playoff spot or knocked out of playoff contention, that Jets show their love to Helle and call him up for a few games?

Pretty much zero, imo.

igorulanov

Jan 31, 2015
Winnipeg

Maybe they'd call him up just to see how he meshes with the team? Especially if the Jets think he's got a real shot at a promotion next year?

Didn't they do that with Trouba, have him around for the end of the season for an extended time so he could practice with the big boys?

What else does Helle need to prove in the AHL (outside of playoff success maybe)?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Maybe they'd call him up just to see how he meshes with the team? Especially if the Jets think he's got a real shot at a promotion next year?

Didn't they do that with Trouba, have him around for the end of the season for an extended time so he could practice with the big boys?

What else does Helle need to prove in the AHL (outside of playoff success maybe)?

Ya why not call him up for a week or so... may as well!... maybe itll light a fire under Pavalec's a*#

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Ya why not call him up for a week or so... may as well!... maybe itll light a fire under Pavalec's a*#

There are no more fires to be lit - either Pavelec changes his fundamentals, or he'll remain the same goaltender that he's always been. It's not a question of "want" - I believe Pavelec "wants" to be a great goaltender.

Probably better to discuss this in the goaltending thread though, and keep this thread focused on Hellebuyck.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Cool story about his being scouted by Rick St Croix. He was scouting a different goalie that was playing against Hellboy and came back and said "Forget about that guy. We need to draft Hellebyck!" That looks to be St Croix's claim to fame as a scout though.

Where'd you see/hear that? I've been wondering for ages who the hell was scouting the Odessa Jackalopes and unearthed this guy...

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Where'd you see/hear that? I've been wondering for ages who the hell was scouting the Odessa Jackalopes and unearthed this guy...

Came up on a google search. I could fnd it again if you can't find it.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Well, that's what happened with Datsyuk. So if Hellebuyck doesn't end up being at least as good for us as Datsyuk has been for Detroit, I consider that pick a failure.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I really don't want anything to disrupt Hellebuyck's rookie year in the AHL. So many people want him to be called up. That won't happen unless there's an injury, and I wouldn't doubt that Budaj gets called up before Hellboy.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I really don't want anything to disrupt Hellebuyck's rookie year in the AHL. So many people want him to be called up. That won't happen unless there's an injury, and I wouldn't doubt that Budaj gets called up before Hellboy.

So what is to disrupt? He is your top goalie in your farm system. Having a rookie goalie and a sub par veteran at the NHL level and not adding any goalie depth would indicate the Jets have left themselves open to the chance of calling up Helly.

Budaj is really not even an AHL capable goalie at this point in his career. I doubt the Jets would put the playoff hopes on the shoulders of a player significantly worse then Pavs.

I'd buy the disruption argument for Helly if the Jets brought him up to sit in the pressbox and watch hockey. But if he is called up to play games how is that a disruption? If you don't think he has developed enough or is mature enough that is a different and valid discussion IMO.

He is a bit young for an NHL goalie but it is not like he is a high school or junior age kid. He will be 22 yo in a couple months and has been playing professional hockey for most of a season. He is the same age as Gibson for the Ducks who happens to be playing pretty solid for them right now.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

I see what you're saying, but considering this rookie year wasn't part of anyone's plan (seriously, he has almost 400 more shots against than the 2nd ranked goalie this season), I think his chances of getting called up are greater than they would have been if he were in a situation anyone could have foreseen.

Also, I doubt they call up Budaj. The guy is done.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Wow not even ranked by central scouting. Sometimes scouting is just pure dumb luck, and in this case I night just be.

The interesting thing is that despite not being ranked, and first being scouted when the scout was scouting someone else, we still drafted him in the 5th round.

Our 2012 draft is shaping up to look really good, actually.

1st round: Trouba
2nd round: Lukas ****ing Sutter!:rant::rant::rant::rant:
3rd round: Scott Kosmachuk
4th round: Pick traded for Fehr
5th round: Connor Hellebuyck
6th round: Ryan Olsen
7th round: Jamie Phillips

That's four players signed to a contract, with a possible fifth depending on if this season actually shows what Phillips is capable of or not. It has good chances to lead to at least three players spending considerable time in the NHL. Could be as low as 1 if we're unlucky, and as many as 5 (highly unlikely) if we're lucky.

That Sutter pick though...

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
The interesting thing is that despite not being ranked, and first being scouted when the scout was scouting someone else, we still drafted him in the 5th round.

That's four players signed to a contract, with a possible fifth depending on if this season actually shows what Phillips is capable of or not. It has good chances to lead to at least three players spending considerable time in the NHL. Could be as low as 1 if we're unlucky, and as many as 5 (highly unlikely) if we're lucky.

That's like buying a Rolex from a guy with a van, then looking at it more closely to find it's a Bolex.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Could end up with 2 or 3 NHLers out of that draft. If Hellebuyck is the real deal, he could be a #1 goalie. Nabbing a franchise level defenseman and #1 goalie in a single draft year is terrific. If Kosmo becomes an NHLer, it's icing on the cake.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Wow not even ranked by central scouting. Sometimes scouting is just pure dumb luck, and in this case I night just be.

...if it keeps happening, it might not just be "dumb luck".

The Jets doubled their scouting staff from the Thrashers' days, so they can cover more ground and have more viewings of players. They can also cross-reference scouting to get more stable ranking systems. Add to that a good scouting philosophy (hockey sense, good character instead of pure emphasis on size, or even worse, "truculence"), and you start to tilt the drafting odds into your favour. That's what an effective "draft and develop" strategy does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad