Connor Hellebuyck

Carl33

Aug 25, 2007
Hellebuyck, your 9th prospect?

so even with good size and incredible numbers in ncaa he's not a top 5 prospect for you, do you think he might juste had a very good year that won't translate in the NHL?

I never see him play but his stats ares impressives, someone can give a small scouting repport on him?

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Granted his stats were good this year, great actually, but it's only been 1 year and goalies are hard to predict. He definitely looks like a good pick-up, though. I voted for him a little higher up but he isn't really the most proven prospect so far.

From what I've heard he's a big goalie who likes to use his size and positioning to stop the puck. I've never seen him but I'm gonna guess a decent comparable in style might be Lundqvist.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
A fellow on another forum who follows NCAA said that UMass-Lowell had a stifling defensive system last season, which may have helped elevate his stat line. I know that there are stat gurus here who say that a team's defensive play affects a goalie's SV% by a miniscule amount, but it's also been only one season. I'm excited to see how his development proceeds, but yeah, goalies are awfully hard to project into the NHL.

Still, really excited to see that we may have a stud goalie prospect in the system.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
A fellow on another forum who follows NCAA said that UMass-Lowell had a stifling defensive system last season, which may have helped elevate his stat line. I know that there are stat gurus here who say that a team's defensive play affects a goalie's SV% by a miniscule amount, but it's also been only one season. I'm excited to see how his development proceeds, but yeah, goalies are awfully hard to project into the NHL.

Still, really excited to see that we may have a stud goalie prospect in the system.

Almost notorious hard to predict (particularly NCAA where LOTS of goalies post great stats). Jon Quick had great NCAA stats but so did this guy.

Hellebuyck projects well due to his size and positioning. Moves really well in the net for someone his size as well. Lots of top end potential, but lots of bust potential.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

so even with good size and incredible numbers in ncaa he's not a top 5 prospect for you, do you think he might juste had a very good year that won't translate in the NHL?

I never see him play but his stats ares impressives, someone can give a small scouting repport on him?

Most want repeated success before they start giving their heart away but are still excited to think what becomes...

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Just to add a bit on Connor under the heading of its a small world.

A good friend of mine was out for dinner in Minneapolis two weeks ago and happened to meet one of the coach's (not sure if it was head coach or assistant) of the Odessa Jackalopes and he said Helleybuyck totally carried their team and he couldn't say enough good things about Connor (Raved is the term my buddy said). Feels he definitely has the raw talent to be a "very good" starter in the NHL one day.

So we can add that to his big year in Collage ;)

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Just to add a bit on Connor under the heading of its a small world.

A good friend of mine was out for dinner in Minneapolis two weeks ago and happened to meet one of the coach's (not sure if it was head coach or assistant) of the Odessa Jackalopes and he said Helleybuyck totally carried their team and he couldn't say enough good things about Connor (Raved is the term my buddy said). Feels he definitely has the raw talent to be a "very good" starter in the NHL one day.

So we can add that to his big year in Collage ;)

Yeah but that's Odessa, Texas. Not real hockey country therefore it does not count. :sarcasm:

Seriously though that is good to hear, but in all honesty it is the NAHL, not a very high level. Hard to say from that.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Yeah but that's Odessa, Texas. Not real hockey country therefore it does not count. :sarcasm:

Seriously though that is good to hear, but in all honesty it is the NAHL, not a very high level. Hard to say from that.

Definitely not if multiples of my family have played that level...

Wait... I wonder if my brother played against him that season... I should ask.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

100% agree and I will try to get a bit more context of the conversation.

on second thought I wonder how we scouted him to be drafted out of that league (seems a tad obscure) ??

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I like connor but i felt we put him too high. He's big and looks good but A)goalies are very hard to forecast, B) he's only had one good season and C) he has no pedigree prior.

I need at least one more season for sure to know whether or not he holds as much promise as it seems ( i hope he does, but not sure i'm cutting the cake yet)

Fluctuations in good years/etc are too common for me to hitch my expectations to Connor just yet. I'd argue that Comrie's pedigree alone probably should put him at the same level as a goalie prospect.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
100% agree and I will try to get a bit more context of the conversation.

on second thought I wonder how we scouted him to be drafted out of that league (seems a tad obscure) ??

NAHL gets a few draft picks per year or maybe less. Much like the EJHL, AJHL, SJHL, MJHL, BCHL Minnesota HS, Massachusetts HS, GOJHL (JrB), KIJHL(JrB) get draft picks, scouts go to the players, not the other way around.

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg

I voted him for number 4 on our prospect list. It's hard to ignore his accolades (NAHL allstar, NAHL top goaltender/rookie, some of the best numbers in the 2012-2013 NCAA season as a freshman).

Honestly, I am not sure why he is so underrated. Probably because he is playing in the NCAA.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
I've been voting for him every round since 4th I think. I am high on him and hope he will be the guy some day. Still needs like 3-4 years tho.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
He describes himself as "Big and Boring"

as to U Mass' defensive system, they still gave up a fair number of shots

OT: Jets could use a new goalie coach - Bring back [keilback]Essssennsssaaaa![/keilback]

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

I'd imagine UMass-Lowell usually play a tight defensive system (even by NCAA standards) because they probably don't recruit a lot of high-end offensive players.

Do their goalies always have a .950 save percentage?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
With the way he's been developing, and the high opinions of Comrie before the draft, we should be pretty set for goaltending for awhile. I like Connor but it's difficult to judge goalie prospects compared to skaters. He's definitely our current top G prospect, though, just ahead of Comrie.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Goalies are a crap shoot.

I am very happy that the Jets own the rights to 3 of the top 16 NCAA starters and Comrie, but I need to see more from all of them before I rank them high.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Olkinoura but he's moved pro.

No i think it was in reference to the other goalie we drafted last year... Phillips? can't remember his name.... another NCAA guy but was actually rated int he draft (unlike connor)

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
If he can put up solid numbers in the AHL, when he gets there, and continues to develop his game then we can START to feel good about his potential. Until then, it's nice to have strong NCAA stats, but he's a long ways away still.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad