Connor Hellebuyck

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Interesting to note that in last night's blowout, Hellebuyck outperformed Hutchinson, as both goalies saw nearly identical playing time. Could anyone see Hutch being traded away at the end of the preseason, so that Helle is the designated backup.

It seems peculiar that Comrie has been assigned to the Moose, rather than the ECHL.

Even if Comrie was ECHL bound he would first attend Moose camp.

Who would want Hutch right now? No one really, teams address their goaltending spots in the off-season. No one is taking chances on goalies right now.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

Who would want Hutch right now? No one really, teams address their goaltending spots in the off-season. No one is taking chances on goalies right now.

Tulsa training camp doesn't open until Oct 5

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Interesting to note that in last night's blowout, Hellebuyck outperformed Hutchinson, as both goalies saw nearly identical playing time. Could anyone see Hutch being traded away at the end of the preseason, so that Helle is the designated backup.

It seems peculiar that Comrie has been assigned to the Moose, rather than the ECHL.

Hard to say that either goalie was better or worse. Can't blame the goalies there at all. Equal time but not equal shots. And don't even talk about shot quality. Put Price in the Jets net last night and it would probably have been about the same.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

Poulin did just get claimed by Tampa.

I haven't been following camp's but **** happens and goalies do get claimed occasionally.

Most likely though, your right, Tampa was the one hungry fish and the water and they've already been fed.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

I haven't been following camp's but **** happens and goalies do get claimed occasionally.

Most likely though, your right, Tampa was the one hungry fish and the water and they've already been fed.

First one in what 4 years? Only thanks to a longterm injury early in camp. So so so rare that situation hits.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
I'd be shocked if they moved on from Hutch for Hellboy so quickly. Now, don't get me wrong, I think the future of this franchise is with Hellboy manning the pipes. I just don't think that future is here quite yet.

White Out 403*

if people think im unbearable now wanting our #2 to start over pavelec, just imagine our #2 is hellebuyck.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg

Vasilevskiy is out for like 3 months. I think that is the only reason you are seeing this move. I don't think they have much depth behind him.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Vasilevskiy is out for like 3 months. I think that is the only reason you are seeing this move. I don't think they have much depth behind him.

They only have Gudlevskis, who was once a highly touted prospect, but he just can't be consistent. They even invited Ray Emery to camp only to watch him being Ray Emery.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Hellebuyck was just sent down to the AHL move. This is a bad move. Helle is clearly ready to rumble in the NHL. Obviously the Jets are not going to part with Pavelec until his contract is up. However, IMHO, they should have placeed Hutch on waivers. There would have been a good chance Hutch cleared waivers, and could be sent down to the Moose. If not, no big loss as Comrie and Phillips are waiting in the wing.

Teams figured out Hutch after all-star game (blocker side high). They will figure him out again. I could be wrong, but if it comes down to a choice between Hutch and Hellebuyck, we should go with the future franchise goalie.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Hellebuyck was just sent down to the AHL move. This is a bad move. Helle is clearly ready to rumble in the NHL. Obviously the Jets are not going to part with Pavelec until his contract is up. However, IMHO, they should have placeed Hutch on waivers. There would have been a good chance Hutch cleared waivers, and could be sent down to the Moose. If not, no big loss as Comrie and Phillips are waiting in the wing.

Teams figured out Hutch after all-star game (blocker side high). They will figure him out again. I could be wrong, but if it comes down to a choice between Hutch and Hellebuyck, we should go with the future franchise goalie.

I have a feeling he will get his chance sometime this season. And if the goaltending doesn't take a noticeable upswing come Oct 8th it should be sooner rather that later.

ellismate

Jun 9, 2015
SK

A few things....

I mean my first point is that Pav had the same save percentage last year in the NHL as Helle did in the AHL, so lets not jump way ahead of ourselves in over estimating his long term consistency. The numbers don't back it up. Yes, Helle had a good WC tournament, and I'm hoping he will become our franchise, but lets not rush it.

Goalies take forever to find their groove in the NHL. It's why the single most important, potentially game changing player, almost never gets drafted first overall. And look at the two that have. They're nothing special.

Price had one of the most lights-out seasons in goaltending history, but look at the guy's numbers just two years prior - he had a 90.5% save. I remember going into the Olympics thinking, which one of our goalies is least likely to suck hard. It was between Price, Smith, and I don't remember who else. When they decided on Price, the consensus was sort of like "...er.. I guess he's the best we got", not "Holy crap we have the best goalie in hockey, lets do this!". My point there, is that goalies take a really long time to establish themselves.

The reason goalies rarely get drafted high is that there is almost no way to tell at a drafting age whether a goalie will turn out to be Price, or turn out to be Dipietro. People are waaaayyyy too oversold on a guy based on him playing on an Elite defensive National team, against quite a few... terrible international countries. Imagine how inflated Pav's stats would be if we played teams the caliber of Team Switzerland every other game.

Now, I'm not a Hellebuyck hater by any stretch. I hope the guy is our future. And I'm not exactly a Pavy fan either. But with Pavy, he's finally approaching an age where a typical goalie can actually make a step up from questionable to good. Guys like Craig Anderson and Carey Price were not franchise goaltenders before they hit 30. Anderson kind of sucked when he played for Colorado at age 27-28. Price kind of sucked around that age too. Having a goalie who is considered franchise in their early 20's is so extremely rare. Like I can only think of Patrick Roy. Otherwise, we get flashes in the pan like Hammond, who we have seen now, just had a bit of a hot streak, then came back to reality. Now, if Ottawa didn't have the luxury of Anderson as their starter. If they had some questionable starter, everyone would have wanted them to can that guy, and sign Hammond to a huge deal. Then they can live with that performance like he put on last night for years to come. I'm just not convinced that Hellebuyuck is some generational goaltender who is amazing from his rookie year, and I'm not in a rush to kick him off the deep end to watch him drown. I want the guy to get some experience, not play backup, hoping Pavy plays bad enough to give him ice time. I want him to get some hours in with pro level goalie coaches, and get used to some pro shots, and build his confidence so when his time comes, he can step in there and actually make an impact.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Guys like Craig Anderson and Carey Price were not franchise goaltenders before they hit 30. Anderson kind of sucked when he played for Colorado at age 27-28. Price kind of sucked around that age too.

...I think you should check Price's age again.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland

Way way too early to give up on Hutch for a unproven prospect.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
There are about a million posts about Pavelec in a series of threads that hash all this out. I don't want to wander way OT here and restart the Great Pavelec Debate, but chances are he's going to put up a SV% this year that's closer to his career average (.908) than to his last season (.920). I think he was around .909 before he went on that career-best tear to end the season...

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
ah my bad. I don't know why, but I had it in my head that he was 31. 28. Not that far off.

Still, your statement was wrong:

Indexed%20NHL%20Index.JPG

Goalies do not peak in performance earlier than players, forwards or defenders.

The difference is that - due to combination of number of jobs, the TOI a player has to play in a game, and coaching/GM bias to be risk adverse to a fault - makes goaltenders peak usage later than forwards (and defenders in the middle).

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
A few things....

I mean my first point is that Pav had the same save percentage last year in the NHL as Helle did in the AHL, so lets not jump way ahead of ourselves in over estimating his long term consistency. The numbers don't back it up. Yes, Helle had a good WC tournament, and I'm hoping he will become our franchise, but lets not rush it.

-Helle had a much much tougher workload (relatively speaking).
-Helle played on a horrible IceCaps team the whole season, and he single handedly carried the team. Pavelec played his fewest games ever, and the team in front of him was far superior.

Goalies take forever to find their groove in the NHL.

That's a misconception. Carey Price was 20 when he took the controls of the Habs net. Holtby 22, Quick 22, Lundqvist 23, Elliot 23, Mason 20, Rask 22, Pavelec 22, Fleury 19, Luongo 20. Goalies on average, start their career at age 22. Hellebuyck is 22. I just don't want him wasting away in the minors or a backup like Cory Schneider did in the Canucks organization.

Price had one of the most lights-out seasons in goaltending history, but look at the guy's numbers just two years prior - he had a 90.5% save. I remember going into the Olympics thinking, which one of our goalies is least likely to suck hard. It was between Price, Smith, and I don't remember who else. When they decided on Price, the consensus was sort of like "...er.. I guess he's the best we got", not "Holy crap we have the best goalie in hockey, lets do this!". My point there, is that goalies take a really long time to establish themselves.

Carey Price was 20, when he became the starting goalie for Montreal. He went on to have a 0.920% and was voted on the all-rookie team.

Now, I'm not a Hellebuyck hater by any stretch. I hope the guy is our future. And I'm not exactly a Pavy fan either. But with Pavy, he's finally approaching an age where a typical goalie can actually make a step up from questionable to good. Guys like Craig Anderson and Carey Price were not franchise goaltenders before they hit 30. Anderson kind of sucked when he played for Colorado at age 27-28. Price kind of sucked around that age too. Having a goalie who is considered franchise in their early 20's is so extremely rare. Like I can only think of Patrick Roy. Otherwise, we get flashes in the pan like Hammond, who we have seen now, just had a bit of a hot streak, then came back to reality. Now, if Ottawa didn't have the luxury of Anderson as their starter. If they had some questionable starter, everyone would have wanted them to can that guy, and sign Hammond to a huge deal. Then they can live with that performance like he put on last night for years to come. I'm just not convinced that Hellebuyuck is some generational goaltender who is amazing from his rookie year, and I'm not in a rush to kick him off the deep end to watch him drown. I want the guy to get some experience, not play backup, hoping Pavy plays bad enough to give him ice time. I want him to get some hours in with pro level goalie coaches, and get used to some pro shots, and build his confidence so when his time comes, he can step in there and actually make an impact.

Goalies tend to peak in their mid 20s just like every other position. Hellebuyck is 22, and is ready and will only get better. Pavelec is already past his prime at 28, and aside from the incredible run he had in the last 12 games of the season, he was been a mediocre career goalie, and largely unreliable. Hutch had the chance to dethrone Pavelec, but buckled under the pressure. Hutch is in his prime, and hasn't shown he is starting goalie material. You can argue Pavelec has never showed that he is a competent starter, and he is only in this position by default.

Give Hellebuyck a shot, and I guarantee you that the Jets will never have to worry about a goaltending controversy. I have never been so sure of anything in my life.

Last edited:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
The should have given Helly 1 full start against Calgary, as he deserve it better than Hutch.
But maybe they want to see how Hutch will be, so Helly can still come up anytime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad