Former Bruins Connor Clifton

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I can only think of one mistake he made (leading to the empty net goal) - although smaller he could be our new Boychuk type story.

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
I can only think of one mistake he made (leading to the empty net goal) - although smaller he could be our new Boychuk type story.
There’s a laundry list more than that.

The one I remember best is when he was on a 2-1 and the Dman slid over to him and he took a slapped right into him.

He can and most likely will improve, but he was really, really bad in the finals after game 3 or so

Grasshopperking

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
This guy is a godsend. Credit to the Bruins FO for finding these guys through less typical ways.
He looks like a mini McAvoy and plays with SWAGGER. Watching to see him grow will be one of the most exciting parts of this season imo

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Clifford contract is amazing. Just a great deal for the team, and good deal for the player.

if they now have Clifton for expansion... I wonder if they trade BOTH moore AND miller

protecting McAvoy/carlo/krug/grezlyck? or does gryz get exposed too?

if both miller and moore get dealt... it opens room for one of lauzon/zboril/vaakanainen to make the team this year and personally with 3 of them knocking on the door I think thats not a bad idea

McAvoy/grezlyck
carlo/chara {with the kid helping with load management}
Clifton/krug
kampfer/kid

thats still a very adequate top 8 defense for this next regular season

If they resign Krug, then Gryz likely gets dealt at some point. His next deal is likely to be fairly expensive. And really they will need to move someone at some point. No way they protect 4 defensemen. And if you don't lose a Gryz then you lose a Lauzon type

then again no matter what they do, Boston fans have to recognize they are going to lose a really good player in the next expansion draft, or they are going to have to bundle a high pick with a good player to avoid it.

A good issue for management to have, truly. Say we decide to keep 5 guys as the main D corps(Krug, Carlo, Mac, Grizz and Clifton). There are still 3 promising D in Vak, Lauzon & Zboril, who could probably play top 6 on a couple of teams right now. 1 spot for 3 guys? Question is who takes that spot.

Honestly, I really believe Vaak belongs in the AHL this year. He has to get stronger still, and needs to develop his offensive skills. He could play up in an emergency, but I am 100% of the opinion the best thing for his development is to spend the year in Providence as the #1 defenseman playing 25-27 min a night.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Saw a tweet by Dom today saying NHL Bruins Connor Clifton will require waivers after 15 more games played or -Nov 26th vs Habs.Things get tricky if Kevin Millers return is beyond that.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Saw a tweet by Dom today saying NHL Bruins Connor Clifton will require waivers after 15 more games played or -Nov 26th vs Habs.Things get tricky if Kevin Millers return is beyond that.
Hes on this team for sure. Think they would call down Kampfer and/or trade Moore before losing this kid.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Hes on this team for sure. Think they would call down Kampfer and/or trade Moore before losing this kid.
Agree - but also its worth noting that he's still pretty sheltered by the coaching staff and sees significantly less ice than most of their defense. A lot to get excited about for sure but his game is still pretty loose.

Reactions: JCRO

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Agree - but also its worth noting that he's still pretty sheltered by the coaching staff and sees significantly less ice than most of their defense. A lot to get excited about for sure but his game is still pretty loose.

I thought it was telling that Cassidy called him out and then sat him for Kampfer a few games ago. Cliffy has the makings of a good dman but he has to keep working at it because as you say his game is still pretty loose.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
guy should be on the second power play unit instead of McAvoy.
Give McAvoy less minutes. He looks rough out there lately

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
It was nice to see Clifton return

He didn't miss a beat and laid a few hard checks on guys like Necas. He even tried to unload on a much bigger guy like Staal. Kid has no fear

Offensively I think he did a nice job in pinching in and carrying the puck along the offensive boards a bit. I think they should give him a look at the PP one of these days.

Reactions: BMC

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I was surprised people wanted Lauzon over the more experienced player. I think he'll remain in now.

Better size and reach idea

but sometimes this doesn't matter

The thing is, Lauzon is better equip for regular season. He plays a steady game and uses his skating, size along board/front of the net, reach nicely. Could be valuable against the more draining/physical leaning CBJ/Blues type teams

For the playoffs Clifton has that extra gear. But his style runs him into a little bit of trouble in the regular season. Already injured on multiple occasions.

I'm glad to have both on the team. I project they will be playing in the same lineup for years to come

Reactions: BMC

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Surprising how he only managed an assist last season and 2 goals in 31 games this season

He has produced higher point totals in the playoffs

Kid has an extra gear for the big show

Good job by Donny and scouting department.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I like Cliffy and saw a good amount of him as I live 15 minutes from QU. My concern with him has just always been consistency. He tends to come out of the gate hot, looks great and then he starts trying to do too much and it hurts the team. I hope Cliffy can stay within his game because for a smaller guy, he brings a physical element to the defense, but also the ability to be a spark plug like we saw last night with his goal.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I like Cliffy and saw a good amount of him as I live 15 minutes from QU. My concern with him has just always been consistency. He tends to come out of the gate hot, looks great and then he starts trying to do too much and it hurts the team. I hope Cliffy can stay within his game because for a smaller guy, he brings a physical element to the defense, but also the ability to be a spark plug like we saw last night with his goal.
Well said,

His play as of right now is a double edged sword. And IMO this is why we saw more of Lauzon even when Cliffy was healthy. If he can get some consistency going in a zones he'll staple himself in for sure.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
With all due respect to Kevan Miller, I think Clifton has surpassed him. Going forward I don’t see a spot on this roster for Miller.

*Edit: I didn’t realize the post I replied to was from Oct.2019

Last edited:
Reactions: barriers

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
With all due respect to Kevan Miller, I think Clifton has surpassed him. Going forward I don’t see a spot on this roster for Miller.

Good thing Miller didn't return. Because Cliffy would have been picked up for sure

Btw goodluck to Miller. Wish him well.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad