Former Bruins Connor Clifton

aguineapig

Cliffy ain't scared. He doesn't know he's not supposed to crank a guy 3-4 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier into a heap. He's not supposed to wheel the puck out of the corner in his own zone, make a quick pass and then take off to join the rush,. Sneak in from the point in the third period of a one goal game in the playoffs and snipe a top shelf laser. That's Cliffy, he don't know better. So please, nobody tell him. Cause Cliffy don't play scared.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Cliffy ain't scared. He doesn't know he's not supposed to crank a guy 3-4 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier into a heap. He's not supposed to wheel the puck out of the corner in his own zone, make a quick pass and then take off to join the rush,. Sneak in from the point in the third period of a one goal game in the playoffs and snipe a top shelf laser. That's Cliffy, he don't know better. So please, nobody tell him. Cause Cliffy don't play scared.

I certainly don't wish for this, but one of these days some big Tom Wilson-esque brute is going to absolutely truck him with a hit and lay him out. Just because he's a smaller guy who's no respecter of size and puts his body where many others won't. That's the moment when we'll see whether his fearlessness really is unshakable and he's going to carry on with his style no matter what, or whether he tempers it somewhat. I'm all for the former and think that's just what he'll do. Cliffy hockey and all the joy it brings will just keep on keeping on.

Reactions: GordonHowe and BMC

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
No problem with the contract, although the term is a bit puzzling. I would have thought two years. Cliffy plays great in stretches, and can really impact the game, but he also has a tendency to fade, and when he does he makes a lot of mistakes. Right now he has certainly proven himself as the #6D.

Next year:

Gryz - McAvoy
Lauzon - Carlo
Chara - Cliffy

*Chara can prove me wrong and claim his top spot, but I think it might be time to transition new d-pairs.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I certainly don't wish for this, but one of these days some big Tom Wilson-esque brute is going to absolutely truck him with a hit and lay him out. Just because he's a smaller guy who's no respecter of size and puts his body where many others won't. That's the moment when we'll see whether his fearlessness really is unshakable and he's going to carry on with his style no matter what, or whether he tempers it somewhat. I'm all for the former and think that's just what he'll do. Cliffy hockey and all the joy it brings will just keep on keeping on.

Yeah I can't help wishing he was a little taller and a little heavier. I also wish his taller, heavier teammates had a little more of his guts.

Last edited:

False Start

May 8, 2018
hes gotta be our fastest defenseman.
he is the only one i consistantly see getting by opposing players carrying the puck.
i think he should do that more often. his offensive ability is underrated.

He definitely won't do it more often. McAvoy does it, Grzelyck does it, Krug does it.

Bruce benches Clifton if he's playing too fast, which leads to turnovers and lost coverage on D. I often get Clifton mixed up with Charlie when they go end to end. He's got flair and skill but it comes with a high risk. Everyone knows this and since the other guys have been doing it longer, Bruce trust them more.

That said, he's outplayed Lauzon thus far in post season, when it was the other way around in the regular season.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
No problem with the contract, although the term is a bit puzzling. I would have thought two years. Cliffy plays great in stretches, and can really impact the game, but he also has a tendency to fade, and when he does he makes a lot of mistakes. Right now he has certainly proven himself as the #6D.

Next year:

Gryz - McAvoy
Lauzon - Carlo
Chara - Cliffy

*Chara can prove me wrong and claim his top spot, but I think it might be time to transition new d-pairs.

I assume you feel Krug won’t be with the bruins then?

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
He definitely won't do it more often. McAvoy does it, Grzelyck does it, Krug does it.

Bruce benches Clifton if he's playing too fast, which leads to turnovers and lost coverage on D. I often get Clifton mixed up with Charlie when they go end to end. He's got flair and skill but it comes with a high risk. Everyone knows this and since the other guys have been doing it longer, Bruce trust them more.

That said, he's outplayed Lauzon thus far in post season, when it was the other way around in the regular season.
krug should not be doing it. he doesnt have the speed. he gets himself in trouble when he tries carrying thepuck through the opposing team. He is an excellent passer with great vision tbough.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles

Clifton also doesn’t have the same defensive awareness, ability to get back after a rush, or puck handling skills as a McAvoy.

Also depends on who the forward lines are that Clifton plays with. If he rushes the puck up and Krejci has to cover for him rather than a Bergeron or Coyle, he may think twice about rushing it up.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Sweeney is great at identifying solid d-men. This deal is great. Need to keep him away from Seattle.

Even with Chara and Krug gone we are unfortunately going to most likely lose a quality Dman... my hope is that Sweeney offers up an extra incentive for Seattle to take John Moore assuming he isn't moved before then. I've always thought the expansion draft was one of the reasons, aside from depth, for the moore signing.

Reactions: trenton1

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
This guy is making Bruce's job harder than expected in deciding who comes out when Grizz is back. It's probably still Cliffy, which is a shame because he is playing quite well. With him as the 7th and Moore as the 8th, that's some serious depth. Who knows if Vaak makes his way in there too at some point.

Reactions: BMC

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I like Cliffy's play in general. He can be churlish and punishing, and he has some attack to his game. All good things. But I sometimes see him struggling a bit with decision-making in the D zone. Maybe it's just me? Does it seem like his D zone hockey IQ might be a little behind the rest of the pack?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I like Cliffy's play in general. He can be churlish and punishing, and he has some attack to his game. All good things. But I sometimes see him struggling a bit with decision-making in the D zone. Maybe it's just me? Does it seem like his D zone hockey IQ might be a little behind the rest of the pack?

He leads the defense in defensive zone starts. I think the coaches trust him back there.

Reactions: RustyBruins72

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Cliffy doesn’t think he just does. Sometimes he does too quickly and recklessly.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
no.
hes one of the few that actually dont mess around and gets the puck out.
he takes the body well and doesnt gets pushed around.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
This guy is making Bruce's job harder than expected in deciding who comes out when Grizz is back. It's probably still Cliffy, which is a shame because he is playing quite well. With him as the 7th and Moore as the 8th, that's some serious depth. Who knows if Vaak makes his way in there too at some point.
Love watching this kid play

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad