Former Bruins Connor Clifton

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Except for one rookie mistake (penalty due to puck over boards)... thought he played well

Good power skater. Had a very good rush out of the D zone, faking out a stars player up the middle

Love the right hand hammer on Spezza

Who played better last night? Zboril or Clifton?

Reactions: Kovi

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Zboril had a few bad turnovers and looked sort of nervous. Clifton was enjoyable to watch though hammering Spezza and that one rush to set up Pasta with a beautiful chance.

Reactions: Kovi and rocketdan9

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
That was my first time seeing him play and he definitely fits the bill as advertised at being wild and semi-untamed. I can't imagine how all over the place he used to be if this the what they worked with him all last year to get under control.

He had some awesome moments, some bad moments, and some interesting moments. He's certainly entertaining which will win him fans like the Globe Reporter.

Reactions: Strafer

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Clifton is a different animal in that he has an over abundance of confidence (similar to McAvoy) so they let him loose with 18 and then 20 minutes. They are not worried about him getting down on himself as evidence by his continued good play after that one bad turnover for the goal against.

+1

And another penalty due to puck over the boards??

Lol

Reactions: 00BW

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I think he played solid again tonight against the Yotes — besides the cough up that led to the goal he looked good

Great at separating players from the puck. Moves the puck well too. Seems like DS picked up a good one here.

For now :)

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Bruins RHD depth is poor after McAvoy/Chara. This kid is showing he could potentially be a bottom pairing option, which is really all he'd have to be here. Obviously a brutal giveaway that led directly to a goal, but other than that, a lot more good. He plays bigger than his size, and I love his swagger out there. Also love how he isn't afraid of throwing the body around.

Reactions: BMC

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Bruins RHD depth is poor after McAvoy/Chara. This kid is showing he could potentially be a bottom pairing option, which is really all he'd have to be here. Obviously a brutal giveaway that led directly to a goal, but other than that, a lot more good. He plays bigger than his size, and I love his swagger out there. Also love how he isn't afraid of throwing the body around.

I wouldn’t say that the B’s RH D depth is poor. Moore, Grizz, UV, Zboril, and Lauzon can all play the right side, and AA looked good in Camp and is in the pipeline.

I have all of those guys ahead of Clifton, who appears to be your classic “trick or treat” guy, where you don’t know what you are going to get from shift to shift.

Cassidy cracked a pretty funny joke last night in his post-game about talking to Clifton about the glass in the AHL being higher than NHL glass :laugh:

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I wouldn’t say that the B’s RH D depth is poor. Moore, Grizz, UV, Zboril, and Lauzon can all play the right side, and AA looked good in Camp and is in the pipeline.

I have all of those guys ahead of Clifton, who appears to be your classic “trick or treat” guy, where you don’t know what you are going to get from shift to shift.

Cassidy cracked a pretty funny joke last night in his post-game about talking to Clifton about the glass in the AHL being higher than NHL glass :laugh:

Should have been more clear. Meant right handed defenseman. I do think that's important to having that RH on the point. They have McAvoy, Carlo, and Miller at the NHL level. After Andersson and Clifton, there isn't much for RHD.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY

Yeah, but it isn't just rookies shooting it over the glass. Chara has done it this year, as have others. Every D'man does it.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I knew nothing about Cifton before he came up to the NHL, so I was pleasantly surprised to see a guy who was anything but bland.

Am very interested to see what kind of career he ends up having. Obviously needs to stay reeled in, but the last thing you want to do is take away any of that energy.

Reactions: Strafer

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
That was my first time seeing him play and he definitely fits the bill as advertised at being wild and semi-untamed. I can't imagine how all over the place he used to be if this the what they worked with him all last year to get under control.

He had some awesome moments, some bad moments, and some interesting moments. He's certainly entertaining which will win him fans like the Globe Reporter.

This team definitely NEEDS his swagger. Very enjoyable to watch with so many vanilla players going thru the motions, afraid to step over the line and make mistakes.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
I didn't know he fought against Spezza in Dallas, but I like him all the more now that I've seen the fight....

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I didn't know he fought against Spezza in Dallas, but I like him all the more now that I've seen the fight....

not really a fight...But Spezza was being "I'am a vet entitled" azz

Clifton was going to walk away but Spezza dropped the gloves then got a right hand hammer

good moment

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Apparently Clifton's first NHL point on JFK's goal vs DET was taken back as the goal was changed to unassisted.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
"Small but aggressive, right-handed defenseman who is not afraid to take the body; backs down from nobody."

"June 2018 – Originally drafted in the fifth round in 2013 by Arizona, the two sides could not come to a contract agreement and Clifton was instead signed to an AHL deal with the Providence Bruins in 2017. Prior to joining the P-Bruins he spent four years playing for Quinnipiac University. Clifton enjoyed some offensive success in his final two seasons of NCAA competition, including a 28 point campaign in 43 games in 2015-2016. But it is his aggressive play style that will most likely get him to the NHL. After a less that stellar start to the season, Clifton’s play and consistency improved all season and he turned his AHL "

Wow long road to the big show. Won't be hard for the fans to get behind him.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
"Small but aggressive, right-handed defenseman who is not afraid to take the body; backs down from nobody."

"June 2018 – Originally drafted in the fifth round in 2013 by Arizona, the two sides could not come to a contract agreement and Clifton was instead signed to an AHL deal with the Providence Bruins in 2017. Prior to joining the P-Bruins he spent four years playing for Quinnipiac University. Clifton enjoyed some offensive success in his final two seasons of NCAA competition, including a 28 point campaign in 43 games in 2015-2016. But it is his aggressive play style that will most likely get him to the NHL. After a less that stellar start to the season, Clifton’s play and consistency improved all season and he turned his AHL "

Wow long road to the big show. Won't be hard for the fans to get behind him.

Nailed it!
Small but aggressive, right-handed defenseman who is not afraid to take the body; backs down from nobody."

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Credit to the organization... the young defensemen who have been pressed into service of late (Lauzon, Clifton, Vaakanainen, Zboril, etc.) have all had varying degrees of success. Not sure there's a future in Boston for all them just due to numbers, but they all look as if they can play.

Been pretty impressed with Clifton.

tremha

Mar 9, 2011
the kid has moxie. love the way he plays. is a gamer for sure. will get better with structure but his natural tendencies you can't teach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad