WJC: Connor Bedard rookie NHL season?

How many points will Connor Bedard get as an 18 year old in the NHL?

• Back to WHL - 0 to 10

Votes: 4 2.3%

Votes: 1 0.6%

Votes: 2 1.2%

Votes: 3 1.8%

Votes: 19 11.1%

Votes: 37 21.6%

Votes: 48 28.1%

Votes: 29 17.0%

Votes: 15 8.8%

Votes: 5 2.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 6 3.5%

• Total voters

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
This list is missing all the players with late birthdays, like, Matthews and Lemieux It's too bad McDavid was injured his rookie year, that would've been interesting. All in all I want to say he's in the Yzerman tier. 70-85ish points.
The list is not missing those players because they would be considered 19 years old during their rookie season. This is not a list of best rookie seasons, it's a list of best 18-year-old seasons. You determine a player's hockey age by their age on Dec. 31 of that season.

I have him at 30 points. He’s 15 yo ffs.
Bedard is 17 and will be 18 in July.

Reactions: Czechboy

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
90-100pts depending on the powerplay he lands in.

If he's playing in Anaheim for example with Zegras and their collection of puck moving D I'd say he has a great shot at 100.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
With ypur logic, Doug weight has to put up 100 points in his rookie season, and Petan being a superstar....

Its not that easy. Right?
Bedard will do well, but belive he will set the league on fire is unfair to him. 40-60points is fair to belive.
You did not even read what I wrote. I stated as a 17 year old. Weight and Petan were both 19. If you view the scoring statistics, Bedard is not only #1, but he is the only 17 year old in the top 20 in scoring. Most of the leading scorers were drafted in 2021.

Only two players under 18 have led scoring in the World Juniors:

Wayne Gretzky in 1978
Connor Bedard in 2023

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
If im any of those teams I'm sending him down for another year to mature. No way I'm burning a year of ELC.

Tank another year and go from there
WAY too much money involved for that. He already sells out junior arenas, and it'll be the same in the NHL.

Reactions: Jets4Life

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
WAY too much money involved for that. He already sells out junior arenas, and it'll be the same in the NHL.

Also, if we look at the first overall picks for the last 20 years, only two or three #1 draft picks have been sent down. Owen Porter and Marc Andre Fleury, may be the only two players that did not play a full NHL season, off the top of my head. No forwards that went #1, have ever been sent down in their first year after being drafted in the 21st century.

Reactions: Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
General consensus has him at near a .ppg next season. Bit surprised. Guess we'll see how wrong I am!

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
With ypur logic, Doug weight has to put up 100 points in his rookie season, and Petan being a superstar....

Its not that easy. Right?
Bedard will do well, but belive he will set the league on fire is unfair to him. 40-60points is fair to belive.
What makes you think he will put up only ~10pts more than Lafreniere did in his rookie season (at your low end)

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
If the habs win the lottery, I hope we make a trade for Dubois and ice the following top 6:

Caufield - Suzuki - Dach
Slafkovsky - Dubois - Bedard

I could see Bedard scoring 70-80 pts in his rookie season

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I'm going for 100-110 points, assuming he plays over 80 games.

So, more than Sid's 102 pts in '05-'06? Brave call.

Will be an interesting season, no doubt. I'm already anxious to get this one in the books so we can move on already to the 2023='24 season.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I have him ahead of Sylvain Turgeon but behind Sid. 91 points if healthy.
Wow 91 points really.

I'm thinking 70ish points but it might just be that the kid keeps exceeding expectations and is a perianal Hart and Art Ross/Richard finalist upper elite type of player he has been on every level so far.

Reactions: SOLR

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
He's in a no win situation. Like a lot of highly touted prospects. He has to come up with one of the all time best rookie seasons, or people will start to have questions.

I don't know about a no win situation, random people online having questions doesn't really matter, the GM's won't be questioning anything. Even if he has a 50-60 point season he'll still be an 18 year old rookie with 50-60 points which is incredible in its own right.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
I say 50 to 55 points. Depending on the team he goes to.

I watched him from the Arena every game of the WJC. He's Dynamic, elite shot, Elite passing and IQ. But something about his style screams at me that he will not adjust immediately to the lack of time and space he will have in the big league and that most of his points will be from PP1.

Its hard to even articulate. He just won't be cruising between 3 players at NHL level, and he will be getting knocked off the puck a lot more often.

Would look great with Meier and Hertl though :)

Worst case scenario for him is he goes to Tortorella and the flyers lol
Or Barry Trotz comes back to coach whatever team gets Bedard.

Reactions: SOLR

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
If scoring stays the same as this year he should be ppg player. I don't think he'll be superstar right away, so I voted 90.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
90-100pts depending on the powerplay he lands in.

If he's playing in Anaheim for example with Zegras and their collection of puck moving D I'd say he has a great shot at 100.
Come on man, You think Bedard is going to step into the NHL next year and score 90-100 points?

I say 50 to 55 points. Depending on the team he goes to.

I watched him from the Arena every game of the WJC. He's Dynamic, elite shot, Elite passing and IQ. But something about his style screams at me that he will not adjust immediately to the lack of time and space he will have in the big league and that most of his points will be from PP1.

Its hard to even articulate. He just won't be cruising between 3 players at NHL level, and he will be getting knocked off the puck a lot more often.

Would look great with Meier and Hertl though :)

Worst case scenario for him is he goes to Tortorella and the flyers lol
Or Barry Trotz comes back to coach whatever team gets Bedard.
I agree with you. If he plays a full season he might be good for 40-50 points. That said, I don't really think it's a "sty;e" issue that will hold him back. He's going to need a couple of years to figure out how to survive physically. I see an adjustment period much like Jack Hughes had and Bedard isn't as good a skater.

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
60-65 is most realistic imo. If he plays with one of Toews or Kane he could potentially hit 70. Feel that around 25/40/65 is likely.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
So, more than Sid's 102 pts in '05-'06? Brave call.

Will be an interesting season, no doubt. I'm already anxious to get this one in the books so we can move on already to the 2023='24 season.
It's not that outrageous. Scoring is noticeably higher than 05-06.

In 2005-06 there were 36 PPG players who played at least 41 games.

Last year, there were 44 PPG players who played at least 41 games.

102 points was good enough for 6th place in 2005-06. Last year, it would have been 9th place.

Bedard could have higher raw totals than 2005-06 Crosby, while finishing further behind in the scoring race.

Crosby was 6th in PPG as a rookie.
McDavid was 3rd in PPG as a rookie.
Lemieux was 9th in PPG as a rookie.

For Bedard to end up somewhere in the top 15 in PPG next year isn't crazy for someone having the junior career he's having.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
It depends on if he gets time with McDavid and Draisaitl. :snide:
Not the first time I'm reading this joke (I'm an Oiler fan).lol

Well done!

Germany may be a gold medal favorite at the World's if this keeps up.. Drai, Seider, Reichel, Stutzl and Peterka will be all available (along with Kahun and Reider).

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Not the first time I'm reading this joke (I'm an Oiler fan).lol

Well done!

Germany may be a gold medal favorite at the World's if this keeps up.. Drai, Seider, Reichel, Stutzl and Peterka will be all available (along with Kahun and Reider).
Not so fast, Montreal is not out of the running in the sucking and sucking worse by the game sweepstakes yet and the kid simply belongs in the blue blanc et rouge.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I don't know about a no win situation, random people online having questions doesn't really matter, the GM's won't be questioning anything. Even if he has a 50-60 point season he'll still be an 18 year old rookie with 50-60 points which is incredible in its own right.
It's unrealistic thinking it's not going to be pressure there because the only opinions that will impact him is a small group of GMs.

Dust

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
I don't think he get 100+. I remember when he came into the WHL there was a learning curve and it took him a bit of time to get going. It took him 15-20 games to adjust to the speed of the league and the physicality. He'll probably look really good in the 2nd half of the season though.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00