WJC: Connor Bedard rookie NHL season?

How many points will Connor Bedard get as an 18 year old in the NHL?

• Back to WHL - 0 to 10

Votes: 4 2.3%

Votes: 1 0.6%

Votes: 2 1.2%

Votes: 3 1.8%

Votes: 19 11.1%

Votes: 37 21.6%

Votes: 48 28.1%

Votes: 29 17.0%

Votes: 15 8.8%

Votes: 5 2.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 6 3.5%

• Total voters

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Jeez, I go away for one day to drive home from vacation and all the fun posts were shut down.lol

I'm noticing a real trend around here about Connor Bedard. Lots of moving goal posts and an insane amount of flaming. Apparantly suggesting he won't win the Hart next year is the same as saying he sucks. Or saying he's not Connor McDavid means he's going to the ECHL.

So I have to ask what people think he'll do as an 18 year old rookie. I've said 50 points personally but that was apparently way off! It would appear he is set to go score at least 140 points next season as a small 18 year old. I know, Gretzky had no problems and he was the same size. We already know he's better than HOF Peter Forsberg becuase he didn't make the NHL at 18 (loser!).

So, have at it.

Here are the top 18 year old seasons according to quant hockey (if you have a better one then post it and I'll replace this one). I've highlighted the 3 best 18 year old seasons in the last decade.

1673107279451.png

Attachments

• 1673107206140.png
    1673107206140.png
    65.7 KB · Views: 3

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Jeez, I go away for one day to drive home from vacation and all the fun posts were shut down.lol

I'm noticing a real trend around here about Connor Bedard. Lots of moving goal posts and an insane amount of flaming. Apparantly suggesting he won't win the Hart next year is the same as saying he sucks. Or saying he's not Connor McDavid means he's going to the ECHL.

So I have to ask what people think he'll do as an 18 year old rookie. I've said 50 points personally but that was apparently way off! It would appear he is set to go score at least 140 points next season as a small 18 year old. I know, Gretzky had no problems and he was the same size. We already know he's better than HOF Peter Forsberg becuase he didn't make the NHL at 18 (loser!).

So, have at it.

Here are the top 18 year old seasons according to quant hockey (if you have a better one then post it and I'll replace this one). I've highlighted the 3 best 18 year old seasons in the last decade.

View attachment 631681
A lot of it will depend on which team drafts him, but assuming it’s not a team completely devoid of talent (Chicago) I would expect around 60-70. Likely close to 70

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
A lot of it will depend on which team drafts him, but assuming it’s not a team completely devoid of talent (Chicago) I would expect around 60-70. Likely close to 70
1673107956689.png

Bottom 5 based on win percentage today.

Columbus got derailed with injuries but if they got him, they'd be very good over night if the injured guys came back next season.

Chicago is in a bad place to my eye next season.

Anaheim has some great pieces and he'd do well there next season.

San Jose is 50-50 depending on if they sell of their good players

Arizona has some nice pieces too and are due to start winning... I think.lol

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
View attachment 631683

Columbus got derailed with injuries but if they got him, they'd be very good over night if the injured guys came back next season.

Yeah Chicago has literally no one to play with once Kane/Toews are traded

Anaheim with Zegras would be electric, although a nightmare defensively

Columbus with Gaudreau and Laine would be a lot of fun to watch

SJ and Arizona are just meh.

All things remaining equal, I’d like to see Anaheim get him

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
View attachment 631683

LOL. Arizona always has nice pieces...that always seem to fizzle out and fade by year D+4.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
This list is missing all the players with late birthdays, like, Matthews and Lemieux It's too bad McDavid was injured his rookie year, that would've been interesting. All in all I want to say he's in the Yzerman tier. 70-85ish points.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
This list is missing all the players with late birthdays, like, Matthews and Lemieux It's too bad McDavid was injured his rookie year, that would've been interesting. All in all I want to say he's in the Yzerman tier. 70-85ish points.
Quant isn't always the best... so if you have a better one, post it and I'll edit it.

Matthews had 69 points in his rookie year.

Lemieux had 100. It seems most the records were in the 80's.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Yeah Chicago has literally no one to play with once Kane/Toews are traded

Anaheim with Zegras would be electric, although a nightmare defensively

Columbus with Gaudreau and Laine would be a lot of fun to watch

SJ and Arizona are just meh.

All things remaining equal, I’d like to see Anaheim get him
Anaheim or Columbus would be ideal imo. Heck, he'd get his good buddy Svozil to play with in a few seasons too!

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Quant isn't always the best... so if you have a better one, post it and I'll edit it.

Matthews had 69 points in his rookie year.

Lemieux had 100. It seems most the records were in the 80's.
Anaheim would be cool, I could see him being the reincarnate of Kariya. He probably would've had 70-80 points as an 18 year old if there wasn't a lockout.

I see him as being in the Kariya, Yzerman, Sakic tier when all is said and done.

Recipe Unlimited

Sep 1, 2019
Start with Connor McDavid's rookie year point totals. Extrapolate that to a full 82 game season. Add 10% since scoring is up 10-15% since 2015-16. Add an additional 15% if he gets on a team with someone who can feed him the puck. (e.g. Columbus with Gaudreau). Minus 15% if he gets on a team with an old school coach that won't give him as much opportunity (e.g. Philly with Tortorella).

Reactions: NextYear67

GreenLine

May 24, 2021
I'm assuming any team bad enough to draft him will immediately look to make him a major component of the offense, both because they're starved for offense and because they need to offer the fans some hope, so he'll get top 6 minutes (maybe sheltered) and first unit power play usage. I voted 80. Anything from 60-100 points wouldn't surprise me though.

I have less concern about his game translating to the NHL than I did for McDavid, which is to say that there's a ton of uncertainty in this. It's a huge adjustment from juniors to the NHL for every player.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
I am 100 per cent positive he won't be going "Back to the OHL"

1673116730220.png

As for his point total, I'm pretty confident he can score 50 points in the NHL next year, given a full season. A lot depends on who drafts him though. I might bump this up if it's Anaheim and he'll have better linemates and talent around him. Chicago without a Patrick Kane for example? He might be in tough to hit 50.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I am 100 per cent positive he won't be going "Back to the OHL"

View attachment 631732

As for his point total, I'm pretty confident he can score 50 points in the NHL next year, given a full season. A lot depends on who drafts him though. I might bump this up if it's Anaheim and he'll have better linemates and talent around him. Chicago without a Patrick Kane for example? He might be in tough to hit 50.
I originally had a 'more than Michkov' option too.lol.

Wright would've clicked that box for instance. Few NHL points and back to junior. Not saying it'll happen to Bedard but kakko, Hughes and laf all struggled as 18 year olds. Hughes has clearly figured it out.lol.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
People need to curb their expectations. His size will limit his immediate impact, he will have a Patrick Kane rookie season at best.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Going with the 60 range. I do think he could achieve PPG if he's gets PP time with some shooting aces on the opposite side, but I do believe there will be an adjustment period and increases his speed.

His 19 year old season will be the one to watch for.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I'm not really sure why people are so dismissive of Bedard's accomplishments, especially compared to McDavid. When McDavid competed in the 2015 WJC, Nic Petan and Sam Reinhart both were tied with him in points (11). With Bedard, he was far ahead of everyone with 23. Nobody even came close. In fact, he has led his WHL team by a mile. Nobody is remotely close to him in scoring.

The only person who came close to being this dominant for a 17 year old in an international competition was Gretzky in 1978. Even when Eric Lindros was so dominant for team Canada in 1991, Doug Weight put up more points for Team USA.

My prediction would be at a similar level to Crosby in 2005-06.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I'm not really sure why people are so dismissive of Bedard's accomplishments, especially compared to McDavid. When McDavid competed in the 2015 WJC, Nic Petan and Sam Reinhart both were tied with him in points (11). With Bedard, he was far ahead of everyone with 23. Nobody even came close. In fact, he has led his WHL team by a mile. Nobody is remotely close to him in scoring.

The only person who came close to being this dominant for a 17 year old in an international competition was Gretzky in 1978. Even when Eric Lindros was so dominant for team Canada in 1991, Doug Weight put up more points for Team USA.

My prediction would be at a similar level to Crosby in 2005-06.
With ypur logic, Doug weight has to put up 100 points in his rookie season, and Petan being a superstar....

Its not that easy. Right?
Bedard will do well, but belive he will set the league on fire is unfair to him. 40-60points is fair to belive.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
I put him around 90. He is a ppg player or better for sure, but he is likely going to be on a bad team with less than stellar linemates. If the pick gets traded and he ends up on a decent team (not likely going to happen), that could push him over 100.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
I originally had a 'more than Michkov' option too.lol.

Wright would've clicked that box for instance. Few NHL points and back to junior. Not saying it'll happen to Bedard but kakko, Hughes and laf all struggled as 18 year olds. Hughes has clearly figured it out.lol.
Bedard can’t go back to the OHL, because he’s a WHL player

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
If im any of those teams I'm sending him down for another year to mature. No way I'm burning a year of ELC.

Tank another year and go from there

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3