Conn Smythe Winner?

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I just assume everybody saying Stamkos should've won the Conn Smythe are 14 year old trolls.

Anyhow, Hedman deserved it, he had the best performance overall this playoff. Point was a bit too much "what have you done for me lately" to feel it justified for him to win it, even though he also probably deserved it. Poor Kucherov didn't get much love despite pouring in points.

Reactions: Jugitsu

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Glad it was Hedman. I thought it would be Point because of his superior finals performance but Hedman was an absolute beast through the first 3 rounds. Only MacKinnon played at a higher level than Hedman at his best these playoffs.

Reactions: kihei and BHD

Bustedprospect

Mar 10, 2006
Great overall performance and well deserved i would say. 10 goals, many minutes of play at both ends of the rink. Pretty funny how Hedman barely cared he won the award. A true team player as he only cares about winning the cup.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Great overall performance and well deserved i would say. 10 goals, many minutes of play at both ends of the rink. Pretty funny how Hedman barely cared he won the award. A true team player as he only cares about winning the cup.

does it seem like HFBoards cared more about who won the award than Hedman cared about winning the award?

Reactions: Sentinel

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Yeah, that's about the way it should've been. Hedman almost lost it in the finals but he was hands down Tampa's best players through rounds 1, 2 and 3. Both would've been good choices.

if this was Finals MVP, I think Point or Kucherov might have had an argument.

but since it’s playoffs MVP, we cannot discount how great Hedman vs CBJ/BOS/NYI because of recency bias

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
if this was Finals MVP, I think Point or Kucherov might have had an argument.

but since it’s playoffs MVP, we cannot discount how great Hedman vs CBJ/BOS/NYI because of recency bias

Come on now, it’s not like Point wasn’t fantastic this entire playoff as well. He had three GWG and as someone mentioned in another thread broke the NHL record for 5-on-5 points in a single postseason (a record that was held by none other than The Great One himself.) I can certainly see and agree with the case for Hedman but let’s not act as though Point didn’t have an equally strong case.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Close one between Point and Hedman. In the Finals it was noticable that Hedman was playing through some stuff but who isn't at that point? Good pick, what a player. Best defenseman in the league, hands down and homer glasses off.

Reactions: BHD

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Is Hedman a lock for the HHOF now? Cup/Conn Smythe/Norris

Yes, I think so. Not in a "if he retired today" sense - I mean, maybe he could still, but that's much harder. But at this point - even if he retires by ~age 35, and just adds enough longevity without any more top end award, and just a reasonable decline (vs falling off a cliff) - he'd get in.

For an "if he retired today scenario" - that's a lot trickier. Guys like Crosby, Malkin or Ovi (and not even just now in their mid 30s, but since age ~30 or before) are easy to get in early. I think players the caliber of Hedman need to play to a certain age as a minimum to qualify.

To complicate even further - if "Hedman retired today" - but did so due to some tragedy (career ending injury or such) - that tragedy/narrative might garner him enough goodwill on its own to still get him in.

Hedman? Serious?

MacKinnon was on pace for 50pts and breaking new records, he should have won it even watching from home.

MacKinnon is a chump. It should have gone to McDavid. He was on pace for 56 points in the 25 games Tampa played - shattering potential records.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Surprised it wasn’t Point but Hedman through three rounds was incredible. Had an up and down final but still well deserved.

My first vote was Point but honestly Hedman was pretty deserving of it as well. Such a solid team overall that they can win it without Stamkos without much trouble.

Reactions: Paul4587

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Hedman and Point were equally deserving. But honestly, it was such a team effort that singling anyone out is almost silly.

Honest M

May 11, 2012
Hedman was dominant, like he have been for years now. Glad to see him get it and the cup, well deserved. Tampas mvp .

He carves out a career as one of the greatest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad