Post-Game Talk: Congrats MAF

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
How The f*** is Puustinen., Poulin who hasn't even been up, Hinostroza Nylander any better ?
Bro.....Harkins has 0 goals in 33 games. It's nearly impossible to be worse than that. If they somehow are, then you call the next one up. A team that's out of the playoffs with the 21st ranked offense in the league can't be guaranteeing roster spots to offensive blackholes.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I fundamentally dislike watching defensive hockey. It sucks. It's boring. Yinzers bitched about watching the Devils for years and now we get to watch this team become the Devils, but without any viability.
I wouldn't care if they were winning. Winning defensive hockey is better than losing exciting hockey for me.

But the defensive hockey they are playing isn't winning. So (beyond) time to adjust the strategy.

Reactions: Andy99

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Bro.....Harkins has 0 goals in 33 games. It's nearly impossible to be worse than that. If they somehow are, then you call the next one up. A team that's out of the playoffs with the 21st ranked offense in the league can't be guaranteeing roster spots to offensive blackholes.
I don't like him, But Zohorna & the rest aren't much if any better

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I wouldn't care if they were winning. Winning defensive hockey is better than losing exciting hockey for me.

But the defensive hockey they are playing isn't winning. So (beyond) time to adjust the strategy.
This is bonkers to me. My name's not going on the Cup, wins and losses don't matter nearly as much as how watchable the team is. :laugh: I couldn't care less about wins if I'm itching to change the channel or falling asleep because of the product on the ice.

The Sid/Geno era Cup wins were awesome because they were fun, exciting hockey, not simply because they won the Cup. I definitely wouldn't have been nearly as invested if the team was playing the old Devils/recent Isles style of obstruction, clog the neutral zone, defense first, second and third hockey. Sounds f***ing awful tbh. :laugh:

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
Puusy, Poulin, Z, Hino, and Nylander should all be in before Harkins and White. Smith should be in over Ruhwedel.

Some combo of Smith, Ludvig and St. Ivany ought to be our 3rd pair every night. They all at least bring something. Smith brings offense and the ability to QB a PP, which is merely something we desperately need. Ludvig and St. Ivany bring the ability to smash people and keep the opposition from using our crease as a public campground.

POJ and Ruhwedel bring squat except vanilla ineptitude.

The best they can do is stay on the bench as much as possible and try not to be ludicrously inept when on the ice. You can't set the bar any lower than that yet they still fail way more often than even a semi-competent 3rd pairing guy should.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
He’s so f***ing regimented in his thinking…just refuses to try anything else. Like switch the wingers up for a game. Even just swap sides with some of them so there are more playing on their off-wing so maybe they can get some better looks offensively.
Try something to generate more offense.
he has mantra that nothing breaks defense like shots on goal...maybe but the shots need to be quality and you have to have players that can do something about that...again, look at the lines, other than L1 that has been playing forever together, no other line not even remotely resembles coherent unit, they are bumping at each other in NZ, they are hiding at the wall or at best waiting for a stretch pass from the defense to direct behind the defense which becomes easy to defend...

Reactions: Andy99

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Some combo of Smith, Ludvig and St. Ivany ought to be our 3rd pair every night. They all at least bring something. Smith brings offense and the ability to QB a PP, which is merely something we desperately need. Ludvig and St. Ivany bring the ability to smash people and keep the opposition from using our crease as a public campground.

POJ and Ruhwedel bring squat except vanilla ineptitude.

The best they can do is stay on the bench as much as possible and try not to be ludicrously inept when on the ice. You can't set the bar any lower than that yet they still fail way more often than even a semi-competent 3rd pairing guy should.
I'm intrigued by Ludvig as a long term project because of the physicality, but he provides basically nothing offensively which is what this team needs most and is a team worst -7 in only 19 games.

POJ has not been good this year, but he had 21 points as a 3LD last year. I'd leave him in and go with POJ-Smith. If it doesn't work and Ludvig is needed as a counterweight to Smith or something, I'm not totally against it, but it's not what I'd try first.

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
I'm intrigued by Ludvig as a long term project because of the physicality, but he provides basically nothing offensively which is what this team needs most and is a team worst -7 in only 19 games.

POJ has not been good this year, but he had 21 points as a 3LD last year. I'd leave him in and go with POJ-Smith. If it doesn't work and Ludvig is needed as a counterweight to Smith or something, I'm not totally against it, but it's not what I'd try first.

Smith probably needs to be paired with a RH defensive-type D'man (like Rutta was). Sadly, the Penguins don't have even one of those on the roster. Or at least he should be paired with SOME defensive defenseman, and the Pens only have one of those (Petts).

Smith with POJ would be a carnival (with free admission) for the other team in our zone.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
This is bonkers to me. My name's not going on the Cup, wins and losses don't matter nearly as much as how watchable the team is. :laugh: I couldn't care less about wins if I'm itching to change the channel or falling asleep because of the product on the ice.

The Sid/Geno era Cup wins were awesome because they were fun, exciting hockey, not simply because they won the Cup. I definitely wouldn't have been nearly as invested if the team was playing the old Devils/recent Isles style of obstruction, clog the neutral zone, defense first, second and third hockey. Sounds f***ing awful tbh. :laugh:
*Insert Herm Edwards meme here.

It's all about the playoffs for me and once in the playoffs, every game is exiting when it's my team. Frankly, the regular season hasn't been fun for me for quite some time even when they were a high powered offense. Crosby and Malkin winning scoring titles was great, but for the last....I dunno....decade?....it's been "can't we just fast forward to the playoffs?" by the time January rolls around.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Smith probably needs to be paired with a RH defensive-type D'man (like Rutta was). Sadly, the Penguins don't have even one of those on the roster. Or at least he should be paired with SOME defensive defenseman, and the Pens only have one of those (Petts).

Smith with POJ would be a carnival (with free admission) for the other team in our zone.
A guy like Ruuta would be great, but I don't think Ludvig is the answer. At least not yet.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
*Insert Herm Edwards meme here.

It's all about the playoffs for me and once in the playoffs, every game is exiting when it's my team. Frankly, the regular season hasn't been fun for me for quite some time even when they were a high powered offense. Crosby and Malkin winning scoring titles was great, but for the last....I dunno....decade?....it's been "can't we just fast forward to the playoffs?" by the time January rolls around.
*should be exciting

From 2019 onward, playoff hockey has been a week of varying degrees of disappointment, immediately followed by 6 months of us bitching about JR, Hextall, and Sullivan while we kick around ideas to revamp a broken team that end up about 1000x more ambitious than the shit that actually happens. :laugh:

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
*should be exciting

From 2019 onward, playoff hockey has been a week of varying degrees of disappointment, immediately followed by 6 months of us bitching about JR, Hextall, and Sullivan while we kick around ideas to revamp a broken team that end up about 1000x more ambitious than the shit that actually happens. :laugh:
Dude, the only thing that stops the bitching on here is winning the Stanley Cup :laugh: And even that is short lived.

I wasn't on this forum in 2012, but where I was posting at the time there was nothing but bitching after they lost to the Flyers even though they scored over 4 goals a game that series. Nobody was saying "at least it was exciting!"

It's ultimately been disappointing since 2019 because they lost. Period. But especially since they were series they could've/should've won. Winning cures all.

Reactions: canadianguy77

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I would rather watch a team lose in the postseason playing 6-5 firewagon hockey than watch a team playing low event 0-1 hockey and also lose in the postseason.

Ideally I would watch non-losing playoff hockey but I’m trying to be sanguine about my chances of watching playoff hockey at all.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Dude, the only thing that stops the bitching on here is winning the Stanley Cup :laugh: And even that is short lived.

I wasn't on this forum in 2012, but where I was posting at the time there was nothing but bitching after they lost to the Flyers even though they scored over 4 goals a game that series. Nobody was saying "at least it was exciting!"

It's ultimately been disappointing since 2019 because they lost. Period. But especially since they were series they could've/should've won. Winning cures all.
I was in Pittsburgh for the final two games of that series, everybody I met was having fun. The beer and pretzels at Hofbrauhaus probably helped for that sixth game though. :laugh:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I fundamentally dislike watching defensive hockey. It sucks. It's boring. Yinzers bitched about watching the Devils for years and now we get to watch this team become the Devils, but without any viability.
We're the Devils minus Brodeur, an all-star defense, and a team commitment to a defensive structure for 60 minutes.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It's funny how that is never questioned by Rossi, Yohe, Jesse and those morons. You have players getting a long look providing very little value and somehow are regulars when most teams would be shaking things up to spark something. Yet Sullivan will somehow just focus on keeping the first line going and ignore the rest and let the blame fall on the players vs how he's used them.

Smith can produce with Sid. So why can't Jake drop to Geno and get his line going and have 2 scoring lines? It also then forces teams to focus on 2 lines and frees up the third line to favourable match ups.

This coach has continued to use the roster like its filled with nothing.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
We also don't win 2017 without him. Stole the Caps series while the big two took a nap all series.
The Fleury haters can pretend the Pens win either back 2 back cups without him, truth is they don't. They needed Murray and Fleury to rotate and take over when the other couldn't. Both cups. Fleury earned both rings and the love fans have for him is because he's been a solid bloke with charities, community work, with fans, and is a lovable clown.

I think the haters are the biggest pieces of shit. To despise someone that is liked for those reasons shows how shitty blokes are to actively want to shit all over their accomplishments. Fleury was the first piece of the puzzle and the Pens royally f***ed him over to start his career, broke as f*** isn't an excuse. They almost ruined Fleury and his career before it even started fully. To be where he is today is f***ing legendary. I'd retire his number over Jaromir Jagoff every. f***ing. Day.

Jesse

Jun 28, 2005
Pittsburgh
Don't worry lads. Madden, Rossi, Yohe, Jesse, will all just tell us this was Malkin's fault.

Weird axe you've got grinding there.

It's funny how that is never questioned by Rossi, Yohe, Jesse and those morons. You have players getting a long look providing very little value and somehow are regulars when most teams would be shaking things up to spark something. Yet Sullivan will somehow just focus on keeping the first line going and ignore the rest and let the blame fall on the players vs how he's used them.

Smith can produce with Sid. So why can't Jake drop to Geno and get his line going and have 2 scoring lines? It also then forces teams to focus on 2 lines and frees up the third line to favourable match ups.

This coach has continued to use the roster like its filled with nothing.

Except for these times where I'm saying it. And that search took me 10 seconds. Keep digging and you can continue to enjoy the very things you say I don't talk about.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Weird axe you've got grinding there.

Except for these times where I'm saying it. And that search took me 10 seconds. Keep digging and you can continue to enjoy the very things you say I don't talk about.

I’m not on twitter/x - so if you aren’t writing it in an article, I am not seeing it. Also I am not going to create an account to post at that safe haven for the deranged just to reply to agree with you about Harkins being trash. A few mates will post Pens related tweets in a group chat on Whatsapp and most of the time I ignore it since it’s stuff by Yohe, Rossi, Kingerski, Madden, etc and it’s the usual “Everyone sucks except Crosby and Sullivan!” Type of stuff so you can Forgive me if I ignore most of the tweets sent my way via a group chat.

Out of curiosity, have you mentioned anything about the unfair treatment of Puustinen? The usage of the players not being put in positions to succeed by the coach?

Harkins is still a regular which is funny since your tweets are like early in the season and nothing has changed with him.

PS - The best thing about your tweet is that the Pens analysts and PBP types and I believe even Sullivan, state Harkins speed and tenacity as an asset. Also low tier depth - They barely have Hinostroza the chances they give Harkins, Poulin should have been up when he was able to be, etc etc. I mean Colin White is another Harkins issue.

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
I’m not on twitter/x - so if you aren’t writing it in an article, I am not seeing it. Also I am not going to create an account to post at that safe haven for the deranged just to reply to agree with you about Harkins being trash. A few mates will post Pens related tweets in a group chat on Whatsapp and most of the time I ignore it since it’s stuff by Yohe, Rossi, Kingerski, Madden, etc and it’s the usual “Everyone sucks except Crosby and Sullivan!” Type of stuff so you can Forgive me if I ignore most of the tweets sent my way via a group chat.

Out of curiosity, have you mentioned anything about the unfair treatment of Puustinen? The usage of the players not being put in positions to succeed by the coach?

Harkins is still a regular which is funny since your tweets are like early in the season and nothing has changed with him.

PS - The best thing about your tweet is that the Pens analysts and PBP types and I believe even Sullivan, state Harkins speed and tenacity as an asset. Also low tier depth - They barely have Hinostroza the chances they give Harkins, Poulin should have been up when he was able to be, etc etc. I mean Colin White is another Harkins issue.
I thought HF Pittsburgh was the safe haven for deranged fans.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad