Congrats Christoffer Ehn on making the Wings

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Guys, I've been overly negative for the past 2-3 seasons, but this is good news. I won't be hypocritical and tell anyone to not be skeptical, but I think at this point we need to take these moves at face value. An emphasis is being made to play the kids, this is what we want.

Hard to argue that they didn't treat camp as an open jobs competition.

Look Cholowski and Ehn entered camp as guys they thought were going to Grand Rapids. They played well and they get to stay. Good on Holland and Blashill for making good on that promise on locker clear out day. Zetterberg being out or whatever caveat people want to throw out is fine, but they did it. The jobs were up for competition and they went to the guys that earned them in camp in my opinion. I know we will have some difference in our evaluations but I am really happy today with this process out of management and the coaching staff.

Oct 18, 2006
I’ve really liked what I’ve seen from him. Very good defensively, active stick in passing lanes, good speed, good size, I think he’s going to be a good 4C.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
I would argue that it has everything to do with the past. If the Red Wings would have proven at any point in the past that they were going to give the Rookies a legitimate shot, the doubters wouldn’t be doubting anything. They would have no reason to. The “tie goes to the vet” narrative has always been pretty legitimate. The biggest difference this year is that they didn’t sign Frans Nielsen to replace Zetterberg, they didn’t sign any insurance to replace an injured Kronwall or Ericsson, etc. they don’t have a #7 Kindl/Smith to plug in when injuries arrive. That’s the biggest difference to me.

They went into the offseason saying they were going to give a spot on D to someone, it looks like they may have a couple more spots open to start the year due to Green’s injury, as well as another dman or two not ready. On offense, it’s impressive that they’re giving Rasmussen a spot, giving a spot to Ehn, because I think the forward openings are pretty slim. I haven’t been able to look at the depth chart, but I’d imagine they’ll have to waive someone else? Frk? Witkowski was just waived.

Who didn't get a legit shot? Many have argued and mostly reasonably that Tatar and Nyquist were held off the big squad a year longer than they should have but outside of that, there isn't a name you can throw out with out sounding ridiculous. Oh yes, when a team is still competitive, going with an experienced guy is hardly illogical.

We did sign Vanek.... Who many complained about being the next undeserving player taking away a spot from a kid.

Anyways, congrats to Ehn. Worked hard, earned his due!

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Just goes to show why making moves in June/July with a mindset of everyone being 100% healthy and all your top prospects being NHL ready is not a great strategy.

Z ends up retiring, Svechnikov gets hurt, Zadina needs AHL time, Daley/Ericsson/Green out..

Good on Ehn to earn a shot, but he will need to take every opportunity to stay in the lineup. Probably if he looks solid we end up trading Glendening to Toronto. Otherwise he will have a hard time sticking when Svech gets healthy and Zadina starts looking NHL ready. Personally I'm more of a Turgeon fan as I think he might have a little more offense to him, but best of luck to Ehn.

Reactions: Henkka and NEWing

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Should be 5 or 6 rookies playing on opening night. I dont think anyone can complain about that and itll make it more fun to watch as well. This year will be better to watch than last year

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Just goes to show why making moves in June/July with a mindset of everyone being 100% healthy and all your top prospects being NHL ready is not a great strategy.

Z ends up retiring, Svechnikov gets hurt, Zadina needs AHL time, Daley/Ericsson/Green out..

Good on Ehn to earn a shot, but he will need to take every opportunity to stay in the lineup. Probably if he looks solid we end up trading Glendening to Toronto. Otherwise he will have a hard time sticking when Svech gets healthy and Zadina starts looking NHL ready. Personally I'm more of a Turgeon fan as I think he might have a little more offense to him, but best of luck to Ehn.

All good points. And I am also a Turgeon fan. Could do a coin flip for Ehn vs Turgeon to start Thursday. Love Ehn's size and tenacity. Looking forward to opening night!

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
wow, interesting.

remember when everyone on this message board was complaining not enough young players were going to be given a shot this year? so far cholowski, rasmussen, and ehn have made the opening night roster.

what are you on about?

most of the defense is injured at the moment and Rasmussen was always gonna be on the team because otherwise they were forced to send him back to juniors

Ehn is unexpected but who cares? the guys a career 4th liner if he sticks in the NHL at all

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
what are you on about?

most of the defense is injured at the moment and Rasmussen was always gonna be on the team because otherwise they were forced to send him back to juniors

Ehn is unexpected but who cares? the guys a career 4th liner if he sticks in the NHL at all

Opening night is going to likely have 5 or 6 rookies on the opening roster with at least 3 playing long term with the team. People complaining that young guys werent going to get a chance this year need to eat their crow. Ehn is a fourht liner? Sure, probably but hes still a young guy getting a shot because he earned it in camp. If you said they werent going to have open competition or actually give young guys a chance you were outright wrong

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
Sulak has that combination of size and speed that the wings would be insane if they were to cut him for the old guys. But looks like that may happen. The wings are a little too old school for their own good.

"He's a talent," Blashill said. "He's an athlete who has to continue to adjust on how to play efficient hockey, where he's on the right side of the puck, not giving up a chance and getting a chance. And also, the smaller sheet, so there would be some potential benefit in that, but again, we haven't made our final decision on that, so we'll wait."

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I probably didn't pay much attention on Ehn, but I really liked Smith. I guess we're thin on centers

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Wow, shocking. Not because he didn't deserve it, but just because 1 month ago, had you told me Christoffer Ehn is making the opening night roster, I'd have called you crazy. Based off what I saw in the preseason, he looks like he can be a solid 4th line guy. This somewhat reminds me of when Kopecky made the team out of nowhere. Let's see what he can do.

I love Zadina, but he clearly wasn't ready. Hopefully he can be roughly a point per game player in the A. I'm sure we see Zadina at some point this year.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Wow, shocking. Not because he didn't deserve it, but just because 1 month ago, had you told me Christoffer Ehn is making the opening night roster, I'd have called you crazy. Based off what I saw in the preseason, he looks like he can be a solid 4th line guy. This somewhat reminds me of when Kopecky made the team out of nowhere. Let's see what he can do.

I love Zadina, but he clearly wasn't ready. Hopefully he can be roughly a point per game player in the A. I'm sure we see Zadina at some point this year.

I think Kopecky only made it in the hoes he could be a tough guy who could play. He could play ok but wasnt tough. Ehn made it based off who he is not what he could be, he looks like a solid future bottom 6er and fourth line center right now

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
Svech is hurt

Hopefully it’s not too serious and Chevy can come back to push for a scoring line job. I was really impressed with his ability to manipulate space to be open for a shot during the preseason. If he can get something going on the 4th line when he comes back, I’d love to see him get some time with Larkin and Martha.

Happy for Ehn too. He reminds me an awful lot of Daniel Winnik.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Figured Ras would make it. But Ehn? Was pulling for Zadina. Oh well at least Cholowski made it too.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Witowski waived. I appreciate the guys heart but there is no place for him on this team. Let him go to the Griffs as personal protection for Zadina. It’s a good role for him.

His place was giving us fire when Blashill was aimlessly "coaching" this team. I went to a game in December that was a real snoozer until Witkowski brought the game to life by dropping the gloves twice.

This is the modern NHL, however, and the blue collar bruiser is the Dodo of hockey players. Damn shame too.

mikerooooose

Nov 7, 2009
Michigan
Too bad. I like Frk's skillset.
He's pretty bad. He "skill" is a hard shot. However most NHL players could probably shoot just as hard if they used the same spazzy swing as his. He's miss the net by a mile several times. I don't think he'll be missed.

Oct 18, 2006
He's pretty bad. He "skill" is a hard shot. However most NHL players could probably shoot just as hard if they used the same spazzy swing as his. He's miss the net by a mile several times. I don't think he'll be missed.
He’s physical and is now actually reasonably fast. He’s done a real admirable job to make it this far, and he’s not done yet. He actually had a pretty reasonable rookie season in a team that stunk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad