Confusing Daly Quote

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
DR said:
what thread are you referring to anyhow ?

dr

http://sports.sympatico.msn.ca/Home...itemid=17328017

Linden also says the cap will shred teams like the Detroit Red Wings, Toronto Maple Leafs, Philadelphia Flyers or Colorado Avalanche with star players stripped away.

If the players STILL don't understand why this has to happen and why this will in fact be GOOD for NHL, then we see just how stupid the players are...

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
DR said:
i think you missed the point. Daly's quote says they dont want a situation where one team can only afford a 25m payroll and another can afford an 80 or 90m payroll.

since the NHL's proposal forces all teams to be at least 34m in payroll, how has he addressed the issue of a team only affording a 25m payroll. logic would say with revenue sharing, but thats not part of their proposal, so the NHL proposal itself doesnt meet the test of Daly's concern.

dr

Simply cannot see forest for the trees can you?...and you know well as I that now you are simply nitpicking with symantics...so why not accept a 34m cap and have the league share the 9M that will make up the difference and start playing? I bet the owners will jump at this offer if presented tonight!!!

Isn't it REALLY simple?????

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
David said:
Simply cannot see forest for the trees can you?...and you know well as I that now you are simply nitpicking with symantics...so why not accept a 34m cap and have the league share the 9M that will make up the difference and start playing? I bet the owners will jump at this offer if presented tonight!!!

Isn't it REALLY simple?????
its not up to me to accept a cap. the NHL has no other option but to negotiate a deal with the NHLPA. since the NHLPA has shown they will not accept a cap, what is the NHL's plan B ?

dr

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
DR said:
its not up to me to accept a cap. the NHL has no other option but to negotiate a deal with the NHLPA. since the NHLPA has shown they will not accept a cap, what is the NHL's plan B ?

dr

Plan B is to wait, wait and wait some more. The owners have the upper hand in this fiasco and can afford to sit out longer than the players.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
CarlRacki said:
Plan B is to wait, wait and wait some more. The owners have the upper hand in this fiasco and can afford to sit out longer than the players.
i think you are right. what a sad strategy.

dr

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
DR said:
i think you are right. what a sad strategy.

dr

Oh, please. It's no sadder than the NHLPA claiming they're "insulted" by a system that would guarantee an average salary of "only" $1.6 million. Oh, the humanity!
Seriously, whiule I don't begrudge the players for wanting every penny they can get, I do bregrudge stupid and insulting comments about how insulted they are. As if the average fan needed more proof that players have lost touch with reality.

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
DR said:

dr

You still don't get it, do you?

To put it as SIMPLY as possible, the NHL does NOT need a plan B.

Why you ask? Because if this season goes by without NHL hockey, they can soon replace the entire PA with who ever they want at whatever price that they are willing to pay...even if it's $5/hr!!! (and then let's see how many of the current PA players won't come crawling back!) True, there are minor points to address in order to accomplish this but they are just that. MINOR.

So, the longer this thing drags on, you're simply giving more power to the owners.

If you don't believe me, try holding out until next January and let's talk again. Let's see if you'd regret not taking the cap.

In the simplest terms that I can use, THIS IS A FIGHT THAT THE PA CANNOT WIN AT THIS TIME. They need to accept the cap and then negotiate the best possible deal for now and survive for now so that they can come back and fight another day.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
Smail said:
Why is it sad? What's their other option if cost certainty is their main strategy for the next 10 years?
its sad that they prefer scorched earth over a negotiated settlement.

dr

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
David said:
Why you ask? Because if this season goes by without NHL hockey, they can soon replace the entire PA with who ever they want at whatever price that they are willing to pay...even if it's $5/hr!!! (and then let's see how many of the current PA players won't come crawling back!) True, there are minor points to address in order to accomplish this but they are just that. MINOR.
how do you propose the NHL legally will be able to replace the PA with whoever they want ?

dr

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
DR said:

dr

The NHLPA could certainly negociate a decent enough salary cap. Also, if the cap is a success, the NHLPA could ask for even more in further CBAs.

Edit: besides, both parties are using the Scorched Earth negociating strategy so far, you can't blame one party solely.

Wetcoaster

David said:
You still don't get it, do you?

To put it as SIMPLY as possible, the NHL does NOT need a plan B.

Highly unlikely.
http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=125166

Look at post #4

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Wetcoaster said:

Actually, not that unlikely.

Just as I suspected. It seems like the whole PA is hinging their entire future on this minor point...as I pointed out before, this is a MINOR point that can be worked around without too much difficulty under the right circumstances. Furthermore, I'm sorry to disappoint you but don't you think that NHL isn't aware of this?

There is one sure way to find out whether this little loop hole in the labour laws is something to hinge your entire career around...let the season go by without NHL hockey and let's talk again next January and then let's talk again in the January after that.

Wetcoaster

David said:
Actually, not that unlikely.

Just as I suspected. It seems like the whole PA is hinging their entire future on this minor point...as I pointed out before, this is a MINOR point that can be worked around without too much difficulty under the right circumstances. Furthermore, I'm sorry to disappoint you but don't you think that NHL isn't aware of this?

There is one sure way to find out whether this little loop hole in the labour laws is something to hinge your entire career around...let the season go by without NHL hockey and let's talk again next January and then let's talk again in the January after that.

Minor point??? Your reading comprehension needs work.

Sammy*

DR said:

dr
Its sad the NHLPA wont negotiate at all on a cap & therefore allows itself to be scorched.

Wetcoaster

Sammy said:
Its sad the NHLPA wont negotiate at all on a cap & therefore allows itself to be scorched.

Its (sic) sad the NHL owners wont (sic) negotiate at all on anything but a hard cap & therefore allows themselves to be scorched.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
Wetcoaster said:
Its (sic) sad the NHL owners wont (sic) negotiate at all on anything but a hard cap & therefore allows themselves to be scorched.

Once again, why should they? They can wait 3-5-10 years. Eventually, some people will want to earn the highest salaries in the world playing hockey and agree with them... :amazed:

Wetcoaster

Smail said:
Once again, why should they? They can wait 3-5-10 years. Eventually, some people will want to earn the highest salaries in the world playing hockey and agree with them... :amazed:

I simply turned an unsupported opinion around on the orignal poster.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
David said:
I have a sneaking suspiscion that you are either Linden himself or some very close to the union. Judging by some of your asinine comments on the other thread and how quickly it was closed down, I would say that you are indeed a player...and if my hunch is correct, then it's no wonder that there is no NHL hockey. I CANNOT believe the stupidity coming out of yours and players' mouths!

Why is it always the pro-owner lapdogs who are the first to start throwing around these ridiculous accusations and insults?

Wetcoaster

Epsilon said:
Why is it always the pro-owner lapdogs who are the first to start throwing around these ridiculous accusations and insults?
When you have no reasoned argument to make, it is the best you can do.

Sammy*

Epsilon said:
Kinda like the NHLPA lapdogs who say very stupid things, like Jacobs signed Lapointe to an idiotic contract to shopw the present systim doesnt work.
Or why when all is lost, its the NHLPA lapdogs who post inflamatory & stupid posts that have no probative value, like the one quoted? Why is that?

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
DR said:
i think you missed the point. Daly's quote says they dont want a situation where one team can only afford a 25m payroll and another can afford an 80 or 90m payroll.

since the NHL's proposal forces all teams to be at least 34m in payroll, how has he addressed the issue of a team only affording a 25m payroll. logic would say with revenue sharing, but thats not part of their proposal, so the NHL proposal itself doesnt meet the test of Daly's concern.

dr

Because, it won't be that it is only a 25 mill payroll, but rather what that 25 mill payroll can get. Under a cap (34 mill as you state here), players across the board will have to take less to fit on teams. Palffy would cost 5 mill, not 8 mill....Demitra would cost 5 mill, not 7 mill........etc. This salary reduction trickles down to all guys. If Palffy is getting less, then Val Bure gets less, Darren McCarty gets less, etc.

Basically, instead of teams like Nashville stacking their lineups with 3rd liners and kids, they would actually be able to afford a few players who normally would be out of their range under the current system. This would provide a more balanced spread of talent throughout the league, as more teams can afford to pay the elite talent.

The jist of what I am saying is, a $25 mill payroll in a $34 mill cap league will be much more competitive year in and year out than a $25 mill payroll in a league with $80 and $90 mill payrolls. Just because a team can't afford to reach the maximum level of a cap, it doesn't mean the cap doesn't benefit them.

Brent Burns Beard