Confusing Daly Quote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=112108

" ... you don't want a situation where teams on the bottom can afford only a $25-million payroll and teams at the top can spend $80 million to $90 million on players."

a) if bottom teams can only afford 25m and the NHL is opposed to significant revenue sharing, how will their proposal help anything ?

b) if the goal is to not have teams with a payroll over 80m (or even 50m), why not work with the players to construct a tax that makes it so that it can never happen.

Surely others see this inconsistency.

i feel that if this statement were true and not just cliche to fuel ignorance, then there offer doesnt resolve it and the players offer does at least offer a model to address it. the owners model EXASPERATES the problem since each team must spend over 34m. didint he just say some teams can only afford 25m ? which teams are those by the way ?

i know the players are being stubborn, but the owners are being bullies and for no good reason other than they have decided it is better to play hangmans bluff.

dr

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
DR said:
a) if bottom teams can only afford 25m and the NHL is opposed to significant revenue sharing, how will their proposal help anything ?
I've heard them say that their proposal will create a league where the teams can afford more than 25m. (Personally, I don't see how it would help the teams that are really struggling.)

DR said:
b) if the goal is to not have teams with a payroll over 80m (or even 50m), why not work with the players to construct a tax that makes it so that it can never happen.

How do you know they haven't? Last I heard when stiff taxes were discussed, the NHLPA viewed them as tantamount to a cap and unacceptable.

I would imagine there have been many ideas discussed that we'll never hear about. Both sides have been playing the media game since the start. I wouldn't make any assumptions about what's been offered and what hasn't from either side.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
I think the basic idea is the cap makes it so those 25 million dollar teams can compete

then they start winning games

more and more fans come to see them because they are winning.

more fans = more money

now they can afford to pay 10 million more in team salary.

the real answer is probably a lot more complicated.

Go Flames Go*

Bill Daly makes great points and is not inconsistent with that he says. You are too much pro-player.

Also I hate Al Strachan I saw him today and he looks more and more like hes gonna die sooner then later, he makes terrible comments that are not nesscary in this process. The players made a ridiculous proposal that would not get us anywhere.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Go Flames Go said:
Bill Daly makes great points and is not inconsistent with that he says. You are too much pro-player.

Also I hate Al Strachan I saw him today and he looks more and more like hes gonna die sooner then later, he makes terrible comments that are not nesscary in this process. The players made a ridiculous proposal that would not get us anywhere.
please dont respond to my posts. i am not interested in your opinion.

dr

Go Flames Go*

DR said:
please dont respond to my posts. i am not interested in your opinion.

dr

I can reply to whoever I want to okay son. If you have a problem with me I have PM send it there and you live in Calgary we can discuss this.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
DR said:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=112108

" ... you don't want a situation where teams on the bottom can afford only a $25-million payroll and teams at the top can spend $80 million to $90 million on players."

Surely others see this inconsistency.

i feel that if this statement were true and not just cliche to fuel ignorance, then there offer doesnt resolve it and the players offer does at least offer a model to address it. the owners model EXASPERATES the problem since each team must spend over 34m. didint he just say some teams can only afford 25m ? which teams are those by the way ?

i know the players are being stubborn, but the owners are being bullies and for no good reason other than they have decided it is better to play hangmans bluff.

dr

It is no more self contradictory than the term "cost certainty" applied to a cap. The league did a great job of marketing its proposal to the fans, and that statement agrees well with that strategy.

Isn't it amazing how much power salesmen and marketers have in todays world? :eek:

Go Flames Go*

I secone I can reply wherever I feel. Free country baby I can do what I want. If DR has a problem he lives in Calgary like I said and so do I, just PM dog and we can settle any problems you have.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
DR said:
its illegal if the labour party wont agree to it in a CBA.

wrong thread though.

dr

This doesn't really answer the question, but nice try.

Are you an NHL player? Sure sound like one.

"What's wrong with a cap?"

"...Next question!"

Brent Burns Beard