Post-Game Talk: Complete Domination, Leafs win

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Gardiner seemed quite solid to good tonight. Anyone have his advanced stats for the game?

Maybe having Muzzin has taken some pressure off him.
He looks better with Zaitsev off his line. They need to be split up asap.

Gards Dermott
Hainsey Zaitsev
or
Gards Hainsey
Dermott Zaitsev

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Anaheim is a terrible team. Winnipeg was up 6-0 in the first on them Saturday and won the game 9-3. Their previous game Anaheim lost to STL 5-1...I know a win is nice but don't get too giddy here. The Leafs are still a baby soft team not equipped for the playoffs.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Nice to see Nylander getting back to speed.
Brown has fit in really well with Kadri and Nylander.

Nice to see Johnsson is starting to play with some grit.

Be interesting to see if Lindholm or Gauthier take a seat when Ennis is back.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Mar 26, 2010
Good win, don’t look back now... keep rolling!

Reactions: LDN

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Gardiner seemed quite solid to good tonight. Anyone have his advanced stats for the game?

Maybe having Muzzin has taken some pressure off him.
gardiner was 2nd best to nylander in metrics tonight

73.47% CF%
85.23% xgf%

edit: actually i messed up... all my stats were all situations

but 5v5 wasn't too much different.

the thing that is so impressive with gardiners stats is his pairing had 40% OZS... only pairing below 50%

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Leafs dominated the 1st. period, just didn't get anything done. Had around double the shot attempts in the 2nd.? Sometimes they go in sometimes they don't.

Leafs still aren't firing on all cylinders though, Marner been a little flat. Too predictable.

This team has more to give, and Muzzin is still new to the system.

One RD ...

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Anaheim is a terrible team. Winnipeg was up 6-0 in the first on them Saturday and won the game 9-3. Their previous game Anaheim lost to STL 5-1...I know a win is nice but don't get too giddy here. The Leafs are still a baby soft team not equipped for the playoffs.

Not sure how you can beat any team other than the one you're scheduled to play.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
Good win against one of the worst teams I've seen in a long time. That said, to sustain this type of offense going forward, I think Toronto needs to get Matthews going. With Nylander playing a little bit better, I'd be in favour of going...

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Mango-Matthews-Nylander
Moore-Kadri-Kapanen
Ennis-Marleau-Brown
Linholm
Gauthier

At this point I think you should load of your top 2 lines and let the Kadri line chip in what they will by giving him two speedy wingers who can score. It's obvious Naz is snake bitten. He easily could have had a hat trick tonight and he's up to 10 posts / cross bars on the season. I say quit fighting to get him going, and focus on getting Matthews back to his dangerous self. Marleau at 83 is still a better 4C option than Gauthier or Lindholm, with a responsible two way guy on one wing in Brown and a guy that can give you some 4th line scoring in Ennis.
I’m sorry but Ennis sucks. He will be even more benign coming off a broken ankle especially because most of his offence is generated by good edgework. Enzo *should* be traded after his first or second game back. Lindholm better, Moore has replaced him.

Reactions: BigBlu

kb

Aug 28, 2009
He looks better with Zaitsev off his line. They need to be split up asap.

Gards Dermott
Hainsey Zaitsev
or
Gards Hainsey
Dermott Zaitsev
And conversely Zaitsev looks better without Gardiner. That pairing needs to be broken up. Zaitsev looked better with Dermott because Dermott is more predictable and Z doesn't have to look up to see where he is, unlike with Jake. Hainsey and Gardiner have looked good too - Hainsey can play with anyone.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
fred_flintstone_yabba_dabba_doo_card-r1c74bda6a2da47ecbb77cc05fca5c0e0_xvuat_8byvr_400.jpg

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Nice to see Nylander getting back to speed.
Brown has fit in really well with Kadri and Nylander.

Nice to see Johnsson is starting to play with some grit.

Be interesting to see if Lindholm or Gauthier take a seat when Ennis is back.
Good post.

Brown has shown chemistry with Kadri in the past and has the speed to keep up with Nylander on the rush. Kadri and Nylander seem to be gelling better with brown on that line

AJ was great again too.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I’m sorry but Ennis sucks. He will be even more benign coming off a broken ankle especially because most of his offence is generated by good edgework. Enzo *should* be traded after his first or second game back. Lindholm better, Moore has replaced him.

We already have a younger, better, faster, and stronger version of Ennis in Moore.

Reactions: weems and kb

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
And conversely Zaitsev looks better without Gardiner. That pairing needs to be broken up. Zaitsev looked better with Dermott because Dermott is more predictable and Z doesn't have to look up to see where he is, unlike with Jake. Hainsey and Gardiner have looked good too - Hainsey can play with anyone.
Zaitsev's biggest problem is that he can't defend the blue line, he can't move the puck out, he can't rush it up the ice well, and he can't contribute effectively in the offensive zone. Those things don't happen just because Gardiner is unpredictable, they are limitations in his own game.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
gardiner was 2nd best to nylander in metrics tonight

73.47% CF%
85.23% xgf%

edit: actually i messed up... all my stats were all situations

but 5v5 wasn't too much different.

the thing that is so impressive with gardiners stats is his pairing had 40% OZS... only pairing below 50%

They were excellent tonight. It's becoming fashionable to hate on them. Don't know why.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Zaitsev's biggest problem is that he can't defend the blue line, he can't move the puck out, he can't rush it up the ice well, and he can't contribute effectively in the offensive zone. Those things don't happen just because Gardiner is unpredictable, they are limitations in his own game.
I think for all the good things he does, Jake being Jake means that Zaitsev has to spend waaay too much time thinking and looking instead of reading, anticipating, and reacting. He just has never looked comfortable with Jake.

Reactions: HomerJLeafs

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I think for all the good things he does, Jake being Jake means that Zaitsev has to spend waaay too much time thinking and looking instead of reading, anticipating, and reacting. He just has never looked comfortable with Jake.
Well I agree. But at the same time, he had those issues with Rielly in that first year too. We just glossed over it because he was a rookie producing well. And personally, I had been touting him as a potential top four d-man before he came here so I might have not wanted to see it.

Reactions: kb

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Boys, do you remember when it was a guaranteed loss against the California teams?
How far we've come!

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Well I agree. But at the same time, he had those issues with Rielly in that first year too. We just glossed over it because he was a rookie producing well. And personally, I had been touting him as a potential top four d-man before he came here so I might have not wanted to see it.
Definitely has had an issue with the speed of the play at times. Babcock sees a lot in him for whatever reason.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad