Compher

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Oh they have definitely not been equally bad, but it’s the difference between a marginal player and a holy-shitballs-bad one.

And again for anyone thinking Jost is anything other than a marginal fourth line center, his defense has been good, it’s still far from elite, and it comes with no offensive production whatsoever. He’s not a net negative like Compher is but he is replacement level. And to refute what someone else said on these boards, I don’t think he’d be any more successful on a different team with a different system.

We talk all the time about Jost's skating. We also talk about how the Avs team and system rely heavily on explosive skating, and chances off the rush instead of the cycle.

Don't you think there's at least a chance he could be a better fit on a team with less skating demands, and a more defensive, keep it simple, forecheck and cycle approach?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
We talk all the time about Jost's skating. We also talk about how the Avs team and system rely heavily on explosive skating, and chances off the rush instead of the cycle.

Don't you think there's at least a chance he could be a better fit on a team with less skating demands, and a more defensive, keep it simple, forecheck and cycle approach?

All due respect, no, I don’t think so. Even in a slower system like, say, in Arizona, Jost is still going to be unable to consistently win puck battles (mostly because of that goddamned halberd he calls a stick) he will still be unable to create enough separation between himself and opposing players because he’s not big enough or fast enough, and he still won’t have a strong enough or quick enough release. Carl Soderberg is possibly the slowest skater I’ve ever seen in an Avs uniform (well, apart from Chris McAllister) and he found reasonable success in Bednar’s system.

Another thing about Jost’s skating that even slower, smaller guys like Elias Pettersson and Trevor Zegras have, they’re able to maneuver in tight spaces. Pettersson doesn’t have great straightforward speed but he’s fantastic at sidestepping checkers and weaving in and out of dangerous areas of the ice. I realize the comparisons are a bit unfair since I’m using two top-tier talents for my argument, I think it works.

Jost isn’t fast, he, as you rightfully pointed out, has lousy acceleration, and he’s not maneuverable at all on his skates. I think he’s a full-on bust. His NHL career will not be a notable one, nor will it be much longer. He should head to Europe while he’s still young.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
All due respect, no, I don’t think so. Even in a slower system like, say, in Arizona, Jost is still going to be unable to consistently win puck battles (mostly because of that goddamned halberd he calls a stick) he will still be unable to create enough separation between himself and opposing players because he’s not big enough or fast enough, and he still won’t have a strong enough or quick enough release. Carl Soderberg is possibly the slowest skater I’ve ever seen in an Avs uniform (well, apart from Chris McAllister) and he found reasonable success in Bednar’s system.

Another thing about Jost’s skating that even slower, smaller guys like Elias Pettersson and Trevor Zegras have, they’re able to maneuver in tight spaces. Pettersson doesn’t have great straightforward speed but he’s fantastic at sidestepping checkers and weaving in and out of dangerous areas of the ice. I realize the comparisons are a bit unfair since I’m using two top-tier talents for my argument, I think it works.

Jost isn’t fast, he, as you rightfully pointed out, has lousy acceleration, and he’s not maneuverable at all on his skates. I think he’s a full-on bust. His NHL career will not be a notable one, nor will it be much longer. He should head to Europe while he’s still young.

Fair enough, but I don't think the Soderberg comparison is a fair one. Soda was a 30 year old vet when he signed with the Avs, and even he had a very disappointing 2016-17 season, and two years in the playoffs.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
You’re contradicting yourself here, though.

You believe Compher has value, but the Avs also need to add a prospect to a package to move him.

Not really, it just depends on the circumstances. If you're moving him out for another player who's also in the same situation, who's also struggling - you're not adding anything.

Richard88 mentioned Brett Connolly from the Panthers. He's got the same exact contract as Compher... so that could be a one-for-one type of deal.

If you're looking to acquire a decent upcoming UFA and the Avs need to add Compher to the package to make things work as far as the cap goes, then I could see there being a good prospect involved there.

If you're moving him out for another player with approximately the same money on his deal but less years left, then maybe you're adding the prospect to balance that out.

The deal that should have happened is the one for Sam Bennett as that's a good deal for both teams.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Not really, it just depends on the circumstances. If you're moving him out for another player who's also in the same situation, who's also struggling - you're not adding anything.

Richard88 mentioned Brett Connolly from the Panthers. He's got the same exact contract as Compher... so that could be a one-for-one type of deal.

If you're looking to acquire a decent upcoming UFA and the Avs need to add Compher to the package to make things work as far as the cap goes, then I could see there being a good prospect involved there.

If you're moving him out for another player with approximately the same money on his deal but less years left, then maybe you're adding the prospect to balance that out.

The deal that should have happened is the one for Sam Bennett as that's a good deal for both teams.
Any deal that involves getting a player on an expiring contract (whether RFA or UFA) for Compher without the caphit being significantly higher than $3.5m would be good, whether that's Bennett or someone else.

For example, I've seen Buffalo fans agreeing to a Compher/Montour swap, and whilst Montour isn't really what we need I think you'd have to accept that simply due to the cap flexibility it creates in the offseason (unless of course you think Compher can bring back a pick or something).

We don't really have the need for another Dman especially at a $3.85m caphit like Montour, but some extra depth for the busy schedule and playoffs wouldn't be a bad thing, and his expiring contract also allows the possibility of some retention. Maybe you even consider moving Timmins for a 3C with Montour onboard too.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Any deal that involves getting a player on an expiring contract (whether RFA or UFA) for Compher without the caphit being significantly higher than $3.5m would be good, whether that's Bennett or someone else.

For example, I've seen Buffalo fans agreeing to a Compher/Montour swap, and whilst Montour isn't really what we need I think you'd have to accept that simply due to the cap flexibility it creates in the offseason (unless of course you think Compher can bring back a pick or something).

We don't really have the need for another Dman especially at a $3.85m caphit like Montour, but some extra depth for the busy schedule and playoffs wouldn't be a bad thing, and his expiring contract also allows the possibility of some retention. Maybe you even consider moving Timmins for a 3C with Montour onboard too.

Yeah I get that kind of deal and I could see Buffalo being a team that could be interested in Compher as they are likely going to move Hall and potentially others at the TDL.

Montour doesn't make too much sense to me though, fit-wise. Eric Staal though, even if he wouldn't fit our team long-term, could be a pretty good addition when you think he wouldn't have to do too much and could excel in that #3C role for potentially a final playoff run.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Yeah I get that kind of deal and I could see Buffalo being a team that could be interested in Compher as they are likely going to move Hall and potentially others at the TDL.

Montour doesn't make too much sense to me though, fit-wise. Eric Staal though, even if he wouldn't fit our team long-term, could be a pretty good addition when you think he wouldn't have to do too much and could excel in that #3C role for potentially a final playoff run.
I agree. Staal would be an infinitely better option than Montour. We'd probably need to add a pick to Compher though.

I could see a scenario where there's a rental player who's not quite worth a 1st on his own, but gets a 1st if you can include a contract going the other way. Granlund for example likely gets a 2nd + prospect sort of package, but if you can move a contract the other way then a late 1st might be feasible.

If Nashville commit to a rebuild and sell off guys like Granlund/Jarnkrok/Arvidsson/etc they probably wouldn't be too concerned about taking on an overpaid player in return considering that they would need replacement bodies anyways, especially if said player is young enough to be moved as a rental in a couple of years as well.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
For me, Nichushkin's play is concerning too. He can drive net, mostly unsuccessfully and that's about it. I didn't like his game in the bubble either. His play is a far cry from the pre-covid Nichushkin we all fell in love with.

The question becomes, is Compher at center the black hole that brings all of his linemates down? Or this more in line with the 'real' Nichuskin?

All I know is if the first line isn't scoring, we probably aren't winning (unless we can play San Jose every game).

Edit - Since the bubble, Nuke has 6 points in 27 games. That's just not good enough...

Asked and answered. :sarcasm:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
For those that are still wondering. Compher sucks. He just simply has not lived up to the promise of his draft status and he fails to earn his keep for the money he's paid. He's shown flashes lately, but I'm sick of this. He needs to play consistently like a 3rd line winger. I'm not sure he's lived up to the bill. He has a bit of fire lit under him recently, but his career is a longer item. I'm not sure I can believe a recent uptick as a projection for his future.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
He certainly had more jump tonight but the turnovers and iffy plays were still there. But Bednar seems to think he’s playing great so I think LOC will be sitting for a bit

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Damned if you do damned if you don’t. Unfortunately if they scratch JTC now it’ll destroy what little, infinitesimal amount of trade value remains on him. But play him and he might do that anyway.

I mean, he was okay in his first game back and did indeed get a key assist to open up the scoring. But yeah something is still very much wrong. I just don’t understand where the hell the shooting went. He used to throw it on net with every chance he got. Now I can’t remember many if any instances recently where he got a good close-in shot.

I suppose LOC just gotta stay patient a little bit longer.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Damned if you do damned if you don’t. Unfortunately if they scratch JTC now it’ll destroy what little, infinitesimal amount of trade value remains on him. But play him and he might do that anyway.

I mean, he was okay in his first game back and did indeed get a key assist to open up the scoring. But yeah something is still very much wrong. I just don’t understand where the hell the shooting went. He used to throw it on net with every chance he got. Now I can’t remember many if any instances recently where he got a good close-in shot.

I suppose LOC just gotta stay patient a little bit longer.

At this point, the Avs need to let the ROR trade tree rest unless they can find a taker for Compher. Letting him walk is useless but necessary unless they can take a pick for him. There is no way in any universe that he should be protected above the likes of O'Connor. He's just not good enough, but if his draft pedigree still holds a sway over a team, take the opportunity make something happen.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Compher wouldn’t get taken on waivers right now. The idea that he’s thought of holding any kind of value right now needs to get erased. The contract is a non starter for any team right now. His lack of production is the least of his problems. He’s been poor analytically leading into this year and it hasn’t improved. He doesn’t generate any shots and doesn’t do any of that stuff old school hockey people love like hits. He just pretty much takes up space. I thought he was pretty poor his first game back but better tonight, still it’s going to be a long climb up for him.

Reactions: Balthazar

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
He doesn't hold any value, and he's a player I would like taken in the expansion draft by the Kraken. That being said, he has looked a bit better the last few games, but I have serious reservations about that level of play continuing. He's had amply opportunity to prove he could sustain this level of play and has not met the minimum threshold to be productive as a third line player. He needs to stick to wing and he needs to use that to his benefit. I'm not sure he'll be able to do so. He's been jerked around so much, I'm not sure he knows what his role is. Some days he is a second line center, some days he deserving of a night off. There is a disconnect that needs to be addressed either internally or via a trade, but right now Compher is a bit of a missing link. Kinda like Nuchiskin when he's not playing up to his ability....but less important. Nichuskin has replaced him as a third line winger I'd protect.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I wouldn’t mind if Compher wasn’t taken by THE Kraken as long as he’s taken by an actual kraken instead.

It might take a lot of convincing to make him believe player sacrifices aren’t prohibited by the CBA. I guess they can start by letting him know the Avs are a pagan franchise?

Reactions: JudoKoala

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I wouldn’t mind if Compher wasn’t taken by THE Kraken as long as he’s taken by an actual kraken instead.

It might take a lot of convincing to make him believe player sacrifices aren’t prohibited by the CBA. I guess they can start by letting him know the Avs are a pagan franchise?
I'm going to be honest...it felt like english wasn't my first language when I read your response. So I will take it lightly here...How could Compher be not taken by the Kraken but taken by an actual Kraken instead? This intrigues me.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I'm going to be honest...it felt like english wasn't my first language when I read your response. So I will take it lightly here...How could Compher be not taken by the Kraken but taken by an actual Kraken instead? This intrigues me.

You've never seen Clash of the Titans?

Something along those lines.

Reactions: xpatriatedtexan

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Getting rid of Compher's contract won't be painless. Our next two seconds went to the Islanders for Toews, and a third likely won't get the deal done. So it's either a first, which is painful and an overpayment, or one of the prospects like Ranta whose ELCs we're going to need soon. Either way, it won't be fun.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Getting rid of Compher's contract won't be painless. Our next two seconds went to the Islanders for Toews, and a third likely won't get the deal done. So it's either a first, which is painful and an overpayment, or one of the prospects like Ranta whose ELCs we're going to need soon. Either way, it won't be fun.
Staple him to Timmins in a trade for a bottom 6 forward/C. A bottom feeder might see an opportunity to acquire a young RHD without giving up a top 6 forward or high draft pick, and also get a reclamation in Compher who could turn out well if he reverts to playing like he did the last 2-3 years.

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
He certainly had more jump tonight but the turnovers and iffy plays were still there. But Bednar seems to think he’s playing great so I think LOC will be sitting for a bit

Move this sentence over to the Bednar discussion, as people seem to be smoking funny stuff over there.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00