Compher

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
They need to quit f***ing around and put the best team they possibly can on the ice. This fourth-line-as-third-line bullshit is 100% because Compher is far and away the worst player on the team right now and if they don’t watch it, it’s going to bite them in the ass. It’s the biggest concern at present and there’s simply no excuse to wait any longer. Either make a deal and throw someone a draft pick to take him or waive/demote him now. Put Bowers in and see what happens. It can’t continue like this.

I was all for allowing Bowers to marinate in the AHL in order to get minutes. But after the JTC black hole of death game last night, it makes sense to give Bowers his shot. He'll make rookie mistakes, just like Timmins is. But JTC looks like a rookie out there right now. I have come around to Richard88's way of thinking - that someone out there will have lost a #5 forward in the expansion draft, and will take a runner on JTC. Perhaps a change of scenery is what he needs.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
If Florida can move Matheson ($4.875m x 6) for a semi-useful player with less term in return then Sakic should be able to find a taker for Compher. It's all about identifying someone who's got something that could be useful for us even if the other teams wants to move him.

For example, maybe there's a team with a player on a NTC who would only waive to come to a contender, and who's team would prefer to move on from them, kinda like Hornqvist.

Alternatively maybe a change of scenery type trade for a similar struggling player to try to shake things up and see if they can find a spark on a new team, something like Compher for Connelly perhaps.

Failing that just hold out until the expansion draft and find a way to get Seattle to take that contract.

I hope you’re right, but I just think his value is tanking big time right now. If the Avs offered him to every team in the league for a 7th round pick, I’m not sure they’d get a taker.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I was all for allowing Bowers to marinate in the AHL in order to get minutes. But after the JTC black hole of death game last night, it makes sense to give Bowers his shot. He'll make rookie mistakes, just like Timmins is. But JTC looks like a rookie out there right now. I have come around to Richard88's way of thinking - that someone out there will have lost a #5 forward in the expansion draft, and will take a runner on JTC. Perhaps a change of scenery is what he needs.

It's better to make a move this year. Too much is at risk. On the season he gets 15:04 a game. That's 15:04 that we concede to the other team. The Avs are good but they have to score more in 45 minutes than the other team does in 60 minutes.

Or put another way, if the 15 minutes that Compher plays were at the end of the game and the Avs are behind, they might as well pack up and go home.

Yes, it's that bad. Now think about trying to win deep in the playoffs like this.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I wouldn’t be against giving Bowers a game or two up here but I just don’t see any scenario where he’s ready. I mean he wasn’t even playing his natural position last year for the eagles.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
If Florida can move Matheson ($4.875m x 6) for a semi-useful player with less term in return then Sakic should be able to find a taker for Compher. It's all about identifying someone who's got something that could be useful for us even if the other teams wants to move him.

For example, maybe there's a team with a player on a NTC who would only waive to come to a contender, and who's team would prefer to move on from them, kinda like Hornqvist.

Alternatively maybe a change of scenery type trade for a similar struggling player to try to shake things up and see if they can find a spark on a new team, something like Compher for Connelly perhaps.

Failing that just hold out until the expansion draft and find a way to get Seattle to take that contract.

Agree with you. Only on HFBoards will you get people seeing a player go through a tough stretch of 15 games and then automatically proclaim him to have zero value and a boat anchor contract going forward. Fortunately, GMs don't really think and see things that way.

Compher has been a decently productive middle-6 forward for the past 2-3 years and his contract isn't the albatross that people seem to think it is. It's reasonable for a player that was able to put up 32 pts in 66gp and 31 pts in 67 gp in back-to-back years.

Do people really forget that Matt Duchene only put up 5 pts in his last 25 games played for the Avs during the 2016-17 season? We were still able to get a decent return for that guy. :sarcasm:

Or that there was actually a team that wanted Ian Cole?

There could be teams interested in Compher that are rebuilding and have trouble attracting free agents as it is. They are going to have UFAs to move out and could need a placeholder like Compher until their young talent is ready.

Teams like New Jersey and Ottawa come to mind and Minnesota if they are out of it, to name a few.

Now maybe that means that the Avs need to add a good prospect along for the deal to happen. You never know the kind of prospects that teams would be targeting but a guy like Helleson comes to mind as a solid prospect with value that is likely to be blocked by depth in years to come. (Makar, Girard/Toews, Timmins, Baron)

Reactions: Richard88

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Agree with you. Only on HFBoards will you get people seeing a player go through a tough stretch of 15 games and then automatically proclaim him to have zero value and a boat anchor contract going forward. Fortunately, GMs don't really think and see things that way.

Compher has been a decently productive middle-6 forward for the past 2-3 years and his contract isn't the albatross that people seem to think it is. It's reasonable for a player that was able to put up 32 pts in 66gp and 31 pts in 67 gp in back-to-back years.

Do people really forget that Matt Duchene only put up 5 pts in his last 25 games played for the Avs during the 2016-17 season? We were still able to get a decent return for that guy. :sarcasm:

There could be teams interested in Compher that are rebuilding and have trouble attracting free agents as it is. They are going to have UFAs to move out and could need a placeholder like Compher until their young talent is ready.

Teams like New Jersey and Ottawa come to mind and Minnesota if they are out of it, to name a few.

Now maybe that means that the Avs need to add a good prospect along for the deal to happen. You never know the kind of prospects that teams would be targeting but a guy like Helleson comes to mind as a solid prospect with value that is likely to be blocked by depth in years to come. (Makar, Girard/Toews, Timmins, Baron)
I mean this is a way different economic landscape than when we traded away Duchene. Teams won’t be adding salary especially for players that have been bad for 1/3 players of this season and all of the playoffs. I mean I’m sure there’s a way we could move him but it will be infinitely harder with the flat cap.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

You’re contradicting yourself here, though.

You believe Compher has value, but the Avs also need to add a prospect to a package to move him.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
If he's going to keep playing like waiver wire fodder he needs to sit in favor of a guy that will at the very least give it his all every shift like LOC. Plain and simple

Reactions: cinchronicity

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Baugh just posted this on the athletic

w8FxDO0.png

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Compher for Eric Staal
Jost for Jarnkrok

Jarnkrok-Staal-Donskoi
Calvert-Bellemare-Nichushkin

That's an upgraded bottom 6 right there

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Must be nice to be Tyson Jost.

He’s been so bad prior to this season that expectations are so low that he can fly under the radar with terrible play.
He’s at least been useful defensively this season, it’s just that Jost can’t create offense at the NHL level. Compher literally hasn’t done anything positive this season.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
He’s at least been useful defensively this season, it’s just that Jost can’t create offense at the NHL level. Compher literally hasn’t done anything positive this season.

They’ve been equally bad imo.

Maybe I don’t place enough value on defensive forwards. I just feel that if you’re a forward you need to be contributing on offence, getting in on the forecheck, creating momentum with attack.

If a guy like Ryan Graves goes pointless in ten straight games, I won’t bat an eye because he’s a defenceman.

When it comes to defensive forwards, I want them to at least be able to do something offensively. Otherwise they’re not coming out on the positive end anyways.

Reactions: henchman21

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Maybe I don’t place enough value on defensive forwards. I just feel that if you’re a forward you need to be contributing on offence, getting in on the forecheck, creating momentum with attack.

If a guy like Ryan Graves goes pointless in ten straight games, I won’t bat an eye because he’s a defenceman.

When it comes to defensive forwards, I want them to at least be able to do something offensively. Otherwise they’re not coming out on the positive end anyways.

So [bad offensively + bad defensively] = [bad offensively + good defensively]?

Reactions: The Merchant

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I think they’ve both been bad, I’m just saying at least Jost is actually doing something helpful whereas Compher literally isn’t helping at all anywhere. Jost’s bad has just been somehow less bad than Comphers.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
So [bad offensively + bad defensively] = [bad offensively + good defensively]?

I guess you can say Jost has been better by a small margin, but they’ve both been ass.

As far as I’m concerned you’re pretty much useless if you’re a forward and you go 13 games with no production.

If he was getting 7-8 minutes a night and was a black hole on offence, but good defensively that might be serviceable. The guy is playing 14 minutes a game though.

Offence is just way more important than defence when it comes to forwards.

I’m even starting to get a little annoyed with Nichushkin, who’s good defensively, but inept on offence.

Reactions: henchman21

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I guess you can say Jost has been better by a small margin, but they’ve both been ass.

As far as I’m concerned you’re pretty much useless if you’re a forward and you go 13 games with no production.

If he was getting 7-8 minutes a night and was a black hole on offence, but good defensively that might be serviceable. The guy is playing 14 minutes a game though.

Offence is just way more important than defence when it comes to forwards.

I’m even starting to get a little annoyed with Nichushkin, who’s good defensively, but useless on offence.
Did we become best friends?

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

They've both struggled for sure. I don't think Jost is playing that much better than in the past either. He's been moving his feet more which has helped him and made him more noticeable, but he's always been pretty sound defensively, and made the "right play" in a lot of situations.

He's generated chances in the past too. Jost's problem has always been production and consistently finishing his chances, and so far that's been an issue again this year.

He's just not a great fit on this team with their system. Like you say though he's helping the team more than Compher has, because Compher is a lot more one dimensional than Jost. Though I think Compher has played better and battled harder in the past couple games than he did earlier in the year.

Matt Roberts

May 26, 2019
I just realized Compher has 10 shots on goal in 15 games for the year. That's tied with MacDonald, who has done it in 4 games, and trails LOC, Calvert, Timmins, Jost, etc. That's even worse than I thought.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I just realized Compher has 10 shots on goal in 15 games for the year. That's tied with MacDonald, who has done it in 4 games, and trails LOC, Calvert, Timmins, Jost, etc. That's even worse than I thought.

Especially when he has the shot he has.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Oh they have definitely not been equally bad, but it’s the difference between a marginal player and a holy-shitballs-bad one.

And again for anyone thinking Jost is anything other than a marginal fourth line center, his defense has been good, it’s still far from elite, and it comes with no offensive production whatsoever. He’s not a net negative like Compher is but he is replacement level. And to refute what someone else said on these boards, I don’t think he’d be any more successful on a different team with a different system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad