TV: Community

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I just wanted to start a thread on this, I watched it when it was originally out but it holds up well, seasons 1-3 are some of the best comedy out there, I would definitely suggest this to anyone who has never seen it.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Great show.

There are some classic episodes like the chicken fingers homage to Good Fellas, the 8 bit video game and the My Dinner with Andre spoof.

Last edited:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
It's one of the best shows of all time IMO. Criminally underrated when it was on but has definitely developed cult status. Certainly one of the most well written shows I've ever seen.

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
I agree the first 3 seasons were the best, season 4 was meh without Harmon and Chevy Chase and then Donald Glover leaving affected season 5 and 6, it never recovered.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Season 4 is pretty lame television that's about as bad as anything, IMO, but 1-3 are excellent, and 5-6 still has some occasional charm. I think it's a better show than something like Rick and Morty, personally, which everyone goes nuts over.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
When you look at the wide array of comedic talent that was on the show as guest stars, it really adds credence that people recognized that it was something special.

-Seth Green
-Kumail Nanjiani
-Betty White
-John Oliver (recurring)
-Matt Berry
-Steve Guttenberg
-Martin Mull
-Billy Zane
-Lisa Loeb
-Stephen Weber
-Nathan Filion
-Chris Elliott
-David Cross
-Brie Larson
-LeVar Burton
-Walter Goggins
-Ben Folds
-Malcolm McDowell
-Tricia Helfer
-Fred Willard
-John Goodman
-Michael Ironside
-French Stewart
-Luiz Guzman
-Anthony Michael Hall
-Hilary Duff
-George Takei
-Drew Carey
-Lee Majors
-Jack Black
-Owen Wilson
-Jason Alexander
-Gina Gershon
-Patton Oswalt

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
How insane is it that NBC had a two-hour block with Community, Parks and Recreation, The Office, and 30 Rock

1993-1994 had Mad About You, Wings, Seinfeld and Frasier.

Unfortunately when they subbed in Friends for Wings, they had moved Frasier.

Reactions: CHfan1

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I re-watched it a couple years ago, still holds up great. Definitely the most original sitcom I ever saw, still streets ahead.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I've watched neither and now have a lot of spare time :laugh:

Definitely watch both, Parks and Rec first season isn't great but it is only 6 episodes and then they find their stride. Community is absolutely great out of the gate which is super impressive for a network comedy.

Miguel Cairo

Mar 18, 2020
Actually I’m kind of curious to hear what everyone thinks about Season 1. I just watched it on Netflix and it’s not bad, but it still takes a while to feel like the show I remember.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I'm 6 episodes into community. I'm a bit lukewarm at this point, but I'm gonna stick through for now.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'm 6 episodes into community. I'm a bit lukewarm at this point, but I'm gonna stick through for now.
It takes a bit of time to get going-- Starts off like a very generic sitcom and slowly figures out how off kilter it can get. If you feel yourself giving up, just jump straight to Modern Warfare to confirm that it eventually gets good.

Reactions: JianYang

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It takes a bit of time to get going. If you feel yourself giving up, just jump straight to Modern Warfare to confirm that it eventually gets good.

I'll stick through. There's not much else to do during downtime these days anyways. Good to hear that it gets better though.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Some of my favorite individual gags:

I'll stick through. There's not much else to do during downtime these days anyways. Good to hear that it gets better though.
I'd say it's a somewhat inconsistent show, aside from season 2, which is good pretty much the whole way through, but the show's bread and butter is that they frequently put all of their eggs into the "special" episodes, which are home run creative blasts that are a ton of fun to watch.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad