Speculation: Come up with an offer Edmonton would actually accept for McDavid

Status
Not open for further replies.

puterwiz53

Nov 17, 2010
Saint John, New Brunswick
The bottom line is Edmonton will never trade McDavid unless he wants out and could very well become a reality if the Oilers continue to go nowhere and stay in the basement. The big trend today is that most stars want out of a losing team when they reach free agency as their ultimate goal is the Stanley cup which they know will never be attained where they are presently at. This is why John Taveras left the Islanders.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Personally would keep Eichel and Dahlin over McDavid. Not because he isn’t amazing, because I think both of them together can accomplish what just CMcD can’t.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
The bottom line is Edmonton will never trade McDavid unless he wants out and could very well become a reality if the Oilers continue to go nowhere and stay in the basement. The big trend today is that most stars want out of a losing team when they reach free agency as their ultimate goal is the Stanley cup which they know will never be attained where they are presently at. This is why John Taveras left the Islanders.
So he's doomed to 8 more years of losing. Well, he'll be 29 with $100 & 11 million+ in his bank account (I assume he hit all his bonuses). That can make up for a lot of acceptance especially when every year the light @ the end of the tunnel comes closer.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Steve Duchesne
Peter Forsberg
Ron Hextall
Kerry Huffman
Mike Ricci
$15M cash
1993 1st round pick (#10-Jocelyn Thibault)
future considerations (Chris Simon 1994 1st round pick (#10-Nolan Baumgartner))

Hughes
Pettersson
Demko
Pouliot
Horvat
2019 1st (top 5OA pick unprotected)
2020 1st
Lucic dump ($15m in cash is hard to judge in today's market)

Sets Edmonton back a year or two but that depth after that.

Buchburger1683

Jun 20, 2014
I didn’t bother to read through all of this, so if this deal made it...sorry?

But I would actually DO this deal for McDavid:

To Buf:
McDavid
Lucic
Sekera
Russell

To Edm:
Eichel
Dahlin
Midlestadt
Ristolainen
1st Round 2019 and 2020

...and then I’d move Nuge and a 1st (yes, overpay) for extended Patches and Gallagher.

Boom. Dynasty.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Provorov + Couturier + two 1sts

/thread

edit: The cap works out beautifully as well given that Couturier is under contract at 4.3M x 4 and Provorov will likely command ~7M. The Flyers also have enough cap to take on his contract as it stands.

Last edited:

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

To Buf:
McDavid
Lucic
Sekera
Russell

To Edm:
Eichel
Dahlin
Midlestadt
Ristolainen
1st Round 2019 and 2020

...and then I’d move Nuge and a 1st (yes, overpay) for extended Patches and Gallagher.

Boom. Dynasty.

Of course you would.

Buffalo wouldn't though.

Like Eichel and Dahlin is probably too much, and you add 2 other players, two first rounders, and saddle McDavid with some hefty contracts. That deal is horrawful for BUF.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Not reading all the pages, so I’m not sure if any of the other TML fans have made this offer, but how’s this? Matthews + Nylander for mcdavid + Lucic

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017

Huh, it's a big trend now? Tavares made it a big trend?

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Any team trading for McDavid is going to lose that trade as it will gut their team and he's only one guy....and you can see how that plays out in Edmonton.

I strongly disagree. A talent that comes around every 20 years? Pay whatever and give yourself 5-7 years to draft and build a team around him. Without guaranteed number 1 overall picks, it could take teams 50 years or more to ever land a comparable player and therefore an opportunity to plan for a championship team with a relatively high degree of certainty. In other words, what you lose in the deal is gained back within 5-7 years and you still have McDavid.

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Hughes
Pettersson
Demko
Pouliot
Horvat
2019 1st (top 5OA pick unprotected)
2020 1st
Lucic dump ($15m in cash is hard to judge in today's market)

Sets Edmonton back a year or two but that depth after that.
tenor.gif

Then what? The canucks have Mcdavid and a pile of horse **** surrounding him.

Makes a lot of sense.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
It would be easy for Buffalo and doesn't involve a million pieces.

Eichel & Dahlin for McDavid but that's a big overpayment. Buffalo would be the team saying no if Dahlin reaches even 80% of his potential. In 3 years Dahlin and McDavid may even hold the same value. Dahlin is the same generational type prospect McDavid was and in fact is truly a generational prospect as there hasn't been one like him in over 40 years (Potvin). 2 Art Ross/Hart superstar centers were drafted within 11 years of McDavid (Crosby and Malkin).

A generational Lidstrom/Denis Potvin prospect alone is worth a McDavid IF he reaches his potential. Since he almost assuredly will a more realistic offer is Dahlin+Mittelstadt+1st. Generational HoF type dman and a young elite center prospect with a 1C ceiling and a near lock as a long term top 6 C. The first comes from a team that has picked 8,2,2,8,8 and 1 the last 6 years. So Dahlin+Mittelstadt and a likely top 8 pick today for McDavid. Factor in the ELCs too compared to a 12.5 mil cap hit (3 year ELCs for Dahlin and the 2019 1st and 2 years of an ELC for Mittelstadt)

McDavid is a guaranteed generational talent. Dahlin is not guaranteed. The gap between these two investor positions is massive.

johnsic

Nov 12, 2009
Caps:
Ovie - 50% retained
Kuzya - 50% retained
Carlson - 50% retained
Holtby - 50% retained

Oilers:
Mcdavid
Lucic
Talbot
Sekera

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.

To Buf:
McDavid
Lucic
Sekera
Russell

To Edm:
Eichel
Dahlin
Midlestadt
Ristolainen
1st Round 2019 and 2020

Boom. Dynasty.
Ok, well you just cleaned Buffalo out. lol

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Not a fan of either team, in fact I hate them both with a passion, but I thought I would throw this out there as I think it would be pretty fair.

to Buffalo Sabres:
- Connor McDavid
to Edmonton Oilers:
- Jack Eichel
- Rasmus Dahlin

It works cap wise, now and long-term, also IMO doesn't cripple either franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad