Speculation: Come up with an offer Edmonton would actually accept for McDavid

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I know we've had those discussions for fun before, and usually they're started out with "just for fun - what would be fair value knowing Edmonton is never actually trading McDavid".

This is different. You're hired as GM of your team, and your job is to land McDavid, no matter the cost. You have to somehow come up with an offer Edmonton *will* accept, in reality.

Can you do it?

Don't worry about overpaying - remember the goal is to do whatever it takes to ensure Edmonton says yes.

Which teams are able to land McDavid under this premise, and which teams fall short?

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
As an Oiler fan if I had to trade him Florida would be who I went to first.

Barkov + Ekblad + Huberdeau + Tippet + 2 1sts for McDavid + Lucic

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
They wont accept anything realistically , + cap makes it tough. But i feel like it would cost

Lindholm(maybe larsson + montour if they prefer) - a #1 dmen, or the package of 2 top 4 guys

Rakell- top line lw, 30+ goal guy

Steel- potential top 6 c, to play behind drai/RNH

2019 1st- just caus3

Comtois- big skilled winger

Last edited:

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
MacKinnon + Rantanen + Makar+ Girard+ Jost + Timmins+ Kaut+ Zadorov+ OTT 1st + COL 1st for McDavid + Lucic

EDM saves about 7 M in capspace and probably wins atleast 5 cups in the next decade. What do I win?

If the only aim of the game is to land McDavid regardless of the cost, I think atleast 15-20 teams could easily make it happen. Maybe even more.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Then again

Larsson = hall, so
Lindholm+ 1st = mcdavid.. come on chia you know you want too

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I`d guess that Florida would be the best tradingpartner here. Something along this would probably be ok for Oilers:

Edmonton get:

Barkov
Ekblad
Borgström
Tippett

Florida get:

McDavid

Edmonton get 1C, 1D and two top-prospects. Borgström will be a 1-2C in NHL and Tippett a top-6 forward. Both costcontrolled for years. Barkov is on a beautiful contract with 5,9M/yr.

I dont think that Florida would do this trade though.

Reactions: Ookhaab

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The OP said McDavid ... nothing about Lucic going with him.

I don't mind adding Lucic or other cap dumps to make the trade more interesting.

Also - try not to worry too much about cap. You can worry about it some or add cap dumps - but just expect that Edm may make further moves to make room on cap/or team A retains some cap.

analytics

Jun 24, 2018
Is Chiarelli the GM in this situation? If so, some prospect who peaked in juniors, an overpaid vet who didn't produce anywhere near his contract value and a lottery-protected 1st should do it.

I then offer Ritchie, Perry, and a 1st.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I know we've had those discussions for fun before, and usually they're started out with "just for fun - what would be fair value knowing Edmonton is never actually trading McDavid".

This is different. You're hired as GM of your team, and your job is to land McDavid, no matter the cost. You have to somehow come up with an offer Edmonton *will* accept, in reality.

Can you do it?

Don't worry about overpaying - remember the goal is to do whatever it takes to ensure Edmonton says yes.

Which teams are able to land McDavid under this premise, and which teams fall short?

Pretty dumb thread . Most teams could offer enough to get Edmonton to say yes . The question is would those teams be willing to gut their teams to have a one man show ? Teams are probably closer to competing with out making a trade for McDavid . See the Avs offer above , See Florida offer . Those team would be garbage after making those trades . I love McDavid but if any of the 2 team offer those packages I would drive from Halifax to Edmonton and pick him up and deliver him myself .

McDavid is almost impossible to trade in a cap era . His cap hit of 12.5 , he the best player in the NHL and the heart of soul of long suffering fans in Edmonton . Teams would have to pay a kings ransom to acquire him . They would also need the cap space and have to have enough young assets to make Edmonton a contender for years to come . In other words it is not happening

Reactions: T REX

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
As an Oiler fan if I had to trade him Florida would be who I went to first.

Barkov + Ekblad + Huberdeau + Tippet + 2 1sts for McDavid + Lucic

Lmao, I wouldn’t send that for him. He’s an amazing player and MAY (I don’t actually think he is) be worth that, but wtf would be the point?

Not a chance.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I`d guess that Florida would be the best tradingpartner here. Something along this would probably be ok for Oilers:

Edmonton get:

Barkov
Ekblad
Borgström
Tippett

Florida get:

McDavid

Edmonton get 1C, 1D and two top-prospects. Borgström will be a 1-2C in NHL and Tippett a top-6 forward. Both costcontrolled for years. Barkov is on a beautiful contract with 5,9M/yr.

I dont think that Florida would do this trade though.

No. No point, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad