Come home Stevie.............

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
If I were stevie I would stay in Tampa. That article is just speculation with no real backing.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
If I were stevie I would stay in Tampa. That article is just speculation with no real backing.

Oh wow, really? It's by a radio talk show host. Of course it's speculation with no backing.

If I'm Yzerman, I stay in Tampa because I'm under contract and they're a better team with better pieces right now. Also, I talk to Alan Trammell and Joe Dumars about how much the city loves you when you come back and don't win.

You get a honeymoon year or two... and then they ****ing hate you. Even captaining a clearly rebuilding piece of crap won't save you. Trammell came in after 2003's 43-119 and got them back to just slightly losing records and he got ran out of town on a rail.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
not sure what some peoples obsession with wanting Yzerman to be the GM is

he's made some savvy moves over the years but he's also made some pretty awful ones as well,like that time he traded two 2nds for Anders Lindback,or that time he drafted Brett Connolly 6th overall over guys like Skinner/Granlund/Fowler,or that time he caused his teams leading scorer(who was 1 year removed from an Art Ross!) to demand a trade

I wonder how people would react if Holland pissed off Zetterberg to the point that he demanded a trade out of here

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
Oh wow, really? It's by a radio talk show host. Of course it's speculation with no backing.

If I'm Yzerman, I stay in Tampa because I'm under contract and they're a better team with better pieces right now. Also, I talk to Alan Trammell and Joe Dumars about how much the city loves you when you come back and don't win.

You get a honeymoon year or two... and then they ****ing hate you. Even captaining a clearly rebuilding piece of crap won't save you. Trammell came in after 2003's 43-119 and got them back to just slightly losing records and he got ran out of town on a rail.

Oh wow, really? I agree just did not type out the long response

NoVA Wings Fan

Jun 24, 2016
Northern Virginia

he's made some savvy moves over the years but he's also made some pretty awful ones as well,like that time he traded two 2nds for Anders Lindback,or that time he drafted Brett Connolly 6th overall over guys like Skinner/Granlund/Fowler,or that time he caused his teams leading scorer(who was 1 year removed from an Art Ross!) to demand a trade

I wonder how people would react if Holland pissed off Zetterberg to the point that he demanded a trade out of here

Z wouldn't be the type to demand a trade. Stevie was dealing with an immature player.

As much as I'd love to see Stevie back in Detroit, I don't think I'd want him to play the GM role. People love him, including the organization, so not sure how well they'd be able to judge the moves he'd make. He may get too much slack. I'd love to see him in a different role within the organization.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah, this doesn't mean much of anything to me. Whole bunch of speculation from someone I'm not very familiar with.

It's just lazily drawing dots together. Yzerman played here > Yzerman is a GM > Yzerman will come back to be our GM. No one has any idea if that will actually happen.

Yzerman has an elite forward that is 23. He has a top 3 defenseman that is 26. Detroit has.... a new arena. If a reputable insider reports that Yzerman is considering this in the next 2-3 years, then let's talk about this then.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
As much as I'd love to see Stevie back in Detroit, I don't think I'd want him to play the GM role. People love him, including the organization, so not sure how well they'd be able to judge the moves he'd make. He may get too much slack. I'd love to see him in a different role within the organization.
This is the direction I'm leaning towards as well.

He's my all-time favorite player, and overall, I like the way he's handled things in Tampa, but I'd much rather that Detroit scoured every inch of the Earth, and made certain that they put in place the best candidate for rebuilding this particular franchise, rather than just hand the keys to a favorite son, who might do a good job, but might not be the best guy for the task (both in aptitude and latitude given).

Now if the Wings turn over every rock in the world when looking for a new GM, and Stevie Y still emerges as the best candidate, then thumbs up. I just want due diligence to come before loyalty.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
This whole narrative about 'Bring Stevie Home!!!' is so ridiculous. The writers in this town have no idea what they're talking about.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Z wouldn't be the type to demand a trade. Stevie was dealing with an immature player.

Some act like he's a god so that is pretty concerning

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Yzerman's personality all but guarantees he doesn't leave Tampa for Detroit.

He is determined and loyal. He isn't going to cut and run on Tampa just because Detroit is begging him back.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
The only good thing with Yzerman coming back, really any new GM, is he would have no loyalty to any current player.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
The only good thing with Yzerman coming back, really any new GM, is he would have no loyalty to any current player.

Seriously, I just want anyone that doesn't have some crippling loyalty issues. Contracts like the ones given to Abby and DDK make me facepalm every time I think of them.

Don't forget the whole Cleary saga lmao

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
There's not any single chance Yzerman is coming back until he wins a Cup at Tampa or will get fired.

I think holland has at least 5 years left, before he considers retirement/promotion to Devellano's role. Hopefully Stevie can complete his Tampa-job before that.

Why 5 years ?

Tyler Wright has now been our scouting director for 4 seasons. Our last scouting directors served 9 years on their duty. Both Nill and McDonell went like this. That seems to be the timeline for a scouting director, which will be then promoted to assistant GM.

So Wright has done his job for 4 years and has ~5 left.

After Five years I see a situation where:

Summer of 2022
- Ken Holland is promoted to senior Vice President
- GM spot will be open
- Tyler Wright will become Assistant GM
- New Scouting director will be hired

At summer of 2022:

- Dylan Larkin is 25-year old
- Anthony Mantha is 27-year old
- Andreas Athanasiou is 27-year old
- Evgeni Svechnikov is 25-year old
- Tyler Bertuzzi is 27-year old
- 2017 1st round pick is 23-year old
- 2018 1st round pick is 22-year old
- 2019 1st round pick is 21-year old
- Gustav Nyquist is 32-year old
- Tomas Tatar is 31-year old
- Filip Hronek is 24 year old
- Dennis Cholowski is 24-year old
- Vili Saarijärvi is 24-year old
- Dan DeKeyser is 32-year old
- Xavier Ouellet is 28 year old
- Nick Jensen is 31-year old
- Petr Mrazek is 31-year old

etc.

Almost all the bad/big contracts are gone, final year of Nielsen is left + 2 years of Abdelkader. Those will be team leaders.

Last edited:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
There's not any single chance Yzerman is coming back until he wins a Cup at Tampa or will get fired.

I think holland has at least 5 years left, before he considers retirement/promotion to Devellano's role. Hopefully Stevie can complete his Tampa-job before that.

Why 5 years ?

Tyler Wright has now been our scouting director for 4 seasons. Our last scouting directors served 9 years on their duty. Both Nill and McDonell went like this. That seems to be the timeline for a scouting director, which will be then promoted to assistant GM.

So Wright has done his job for 4 years and has ~5 left.

After Five years I see a situation where:

Summer of 2022
- Ken Holland is promoted to senior Vice President
- GM spot will be open
- Tyler Wright will become Assistant GM
- New Scouting director will be hired

At summer of 2022:

- Dylan Larkin is 25-year old
- Anthony Mantha is 27-year old
- Andreas Athanasiou is 27-year old
- Evgeni Svechnikov is 25-year old
- Tyler Bertuzzi is 27-year old
- 2017 1st round pick is 23-year old
- 2018 1st round pick is 22-year old
- 2019 1st round pick is 21-year old
- Gustav Nyquist is 32-year old
- Tomas Tatar is 31-year old
- Filip Hronek is 24 year old
- Dennis Cholowski is 24-year old
- Vili Saarijärvi is 24-year old
- Dan DeKeyser is 32-year old
- Xavier Ouellet is 28 year old
- Nick Jensen is 31-year old
- Petr Mrazek is 31-year old

etc.

Almost all the bad/big contracts are gone, final year of Nielsen is left + 2 years of Abdelkader. Those will be team leaders.

That's a pretty good outlook on the situation, but Petr Mrazek will be 30 years old :thumbu:

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I think Yzerman is a really good fit for the organization for a multitude of reasons. But I am not obsessed with the idea. If someone is a better fit I would be fine with that. I think Yzerman is just a constant reminder that this organization passed on a golden opportunity to move on from Holland and avoid a lot of the damage he has done. There is always two sides when Yzerman is discussed as a great GM but I don't think there is much debate that he is a good GM. Holland is no Ionger even an average GM.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

Yeah no kidding, also i'm sure everyone around here would be just fine with Holland if his team completely missed the playoffs with Hedman, Stamkos, Kucherov, and Bishop caliber players on the roster in their prime.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Yeah no kidding, also i'm sure everyone around here would be just fine with Holland if his team completely missed the playoffs with Hedman, Stamkos, Kucherov, and Bishop caliber players on the roster in their prime.

People are not going to act rationally towards the idea of Yzerman. He earned that through his years in Detroit. The bigger point here is that Holland has done the same thing in the eyes of the Ilitch family. It is why his rope isn't nearly as short as people want it to be. Yzerman similarly has missed the playoffs a couple times gone all in on Matt Carle and now Coburn looks a terrible decision. He has some bad marks on his resume and since most that want Holland out want ultimate contender status and Cups are all that matters Stevie wouldn't meet that standard either. But it is what it is. Really for him to leave Tampa I cannot see him doing it without a cup anyway, so I guess the big Yzerman fans should become pretty big backers of Tampa next year as that is the only way I see this transpiring.

I totally get why fans overlook the mediocre parts of Yzerman's tenure though. Notice the Nill talk died pretty quickly when he couldn't sort out the pieces to get his two legit superstars in the playoffs. There isn't the same love for him that Stevie has built up over the years. Yzerman is the most universally beloved athlete I can remember in Detroit sports.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
There are a few options I'd prefer to take over for Holland over Stevie. Wouldn't mind him coming back, but not pining for it by any means.

I want someone with a track record of drafting defenseman, or a young guy with a more progressive approach. Yzerman doesn't really provide either. Although I do like that he is a shrewd negotiatior, pretty much the antithesis of Holland in that regard.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I like the article. Not for the Yzerman thing, which is never going to happen, but because it's properly harsh on Holland. We need more of that in the local media.

They need to blast ownership first and foremost. If not Holland, they'll employ another GM that can help them sell tickets. Ilitches are the true culprits if there is one.

That said, they are opening a billion dollar state of the art high tech arena using lots of tax payers money. There is lots of politics behind it. Add to the fact the 25 year streak and the recent closing of the Joe. Ownership isn't going to promote full tank mode when they can sell tickets now to the casual fan happy to be part of the near arena and watch the combination of Zetterberg being all-star and all these exciting up-and-coming kids (who some here may not be impressed with, people like shiny new toys all the same).

Holland is just being used as the flame suite to protect the true villains; the Ilitches. People here would have turned their back on Steve Yzerman a few years ago when he missed the playoffs and failed to win a cup with his current core. He would be public enemy #1 to the "non-casual-fans".

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
They need to blast ownership first and foremost. If not Holland, they'll employ another GM that can help them sell tickets. Ilitches are the true culprits if there is one.

That said, they are opening a billion dollar state of the art high tech arena using lots of tax payers money. There is lots of politics behind it. Add to the fact the 25 year streak and the recent closing of the Joe. Ownership isn't going to promote full tank mode when they can sell tickets now to the casual fan happy to be part of the near arena and watch the combination of Zetterberg being all-star and all these exciting up-and-coming kids (who some here may not be impressed with, people like shiny new toys all the same).

Holland is just being used as the flame suite to protect the true villains; the Ilitches. People here would have turned their back on Steve Yzerman a few years ago when he missed the playoffs and failed to win a cup with his current core. He would be public enemy #1 to the "non-casual-fans".

Yeah...no.

The Ilitches are certainly complicit in the failed state of the DRW roster, but Ken Holland is the architect of it all. They trust him because it's all they have ever known. If Holland argued that the current plan wasn't going to work, i suspect they would go along with him. Unfortunately that isn't the case. Instead we have a relic from a bygone era arguing to continue down the same insane road that turned the Wings into an irrelevant franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad