Confirmed with Link: Columbus trades Kerby Rychel for Scott Harrington and a conditional pick.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

...Toronto can't be too happy.

Why? It's not like they have alot of players they need to keep. If Rychel earns a protection spot then I'm sure they will find room for him.

Like really, other than Rielly and Freddy Andersen who is important enough for them to keep?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I thought everyone knew Kerby wasn't exempt. It was our assumption here the entire time - he'll be finishing his third pro year by the time of the draft.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If Gavrikov makes the team & is as good as many believe is Kukan the odd guy out?

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
If Gavrikov makes the team & is as good as many believe is Kukan the odd guy out?

Kukan becomes waiver fodder and Torts has to chose between two of Gavrikov, Nuti, and Harrington. Harrington's play has made this a tougher decision than most would think.

I don't think Gavrikov gets NHL games in this season, I think he gets signed and starts in the AHL, and then makes the team next season.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Kukan is the odd man out. Don’t really understand the infatuation with him. Harrrington has earned Torts’ trust so will start over Gavrikov until Torts gets a comfort level with him. Nuti is obviously going to stay in the lineup. I’m most curious about what we’re going to do with Carlsson going forward.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Kukan is the odd man out. Don’t really understand the infatuation with him.
He's shown flashes of being able to do even better - that said, his ceiling is probably second pairing. I think we could get something decentish for him presuming Gavrikov comes in and immediately kicks ass.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Since that trade;

Harrington = 102 NHL games + 2 AHL games
Rychel = 6 NHL games + 189 AHL games

I imagine there are two schools of thought. (a) Jarmo should have never wasted a first round pick on Kerby Rychel - Jarmo is a jerk - or (b) at least Jarmo recognized soon enough what he had in Rychel and moved him for something serviceable.

Count me as voting "B" in this matter.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Since that trade;

Harrington = 102 NHL games + 2 AHL games
Rychel = 6 NHL games + 189 AHL games

I imagine there are two schools of thought. (a) Jarmo should have never wasted a first round pick on Kerby Rychel - Jarmo is a jerk - or (b) at least Jarmo recognized soon enough what he had in Rychel and moved him for something serviceable.

Count me as voting "B" in this matter.

Jarmo's draft record is pretty spotty, but I'll give him credit for realizing his mistakes early enough (Rychel) or cashing out when value was high (Dano) and managing to get something out of it.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Jarmo's draft record is pretty spotty, but I'll give him credit for realizing his mistakes early enough (Rychel) or cashing out when value was high (Dano) and managing to get something out of it.

How would you consider his draft record spotty? Remember a couple of things:

1. You can't really judge a draft until 5 years after it took place. That means we only have two on record for Jarmo.
2. If you get 2 NHL players out of each draft, you're doing fine.

2013 notables: Wennberg, Bjorkstrand
2014: Milano, Elvis
2015: Werenski, Carlsson, Stenlund, Bittner, Gavrikov, Nutivaara (Bittner looks like he's coming along again, so I included him)
2016: PLD, Peeke, Abramov

The 2014 draft is a little suspect, but I think we are going to at least come away with a goaltender. The 2015 draft has the potential to be far and away the best we have ever had, with two top-4 defensemen already coming from that class.

We can talk about the guys we "should" have drafted or things we "could" have done, but hindsight is 20/20. Any team in the league would take a drafting record like this and be happy. Jarmo has done a fine job of finding talent.

Reactions: Viqsi

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
How would you consider his draft record spotty? Remember a couple of things:

1. You can't really judge a draft until 5 years after it took place. That means we only have two on record for Jarmo.
2. If you get 2 NHL players out of each draft, you're doing fine.

2013 notables: Wennberg, Bjorkstrand
2014: Milano, Elvis
2015: Werenski, Carlsson, Stenlund, Bittner, Gavrikov, Nutivaara (Bittner looks like he's coming along again, so I included him)
2016: PLD, Peeke, Abramov

The 2014 draft is a little suspect, but I think we are going to at least come away with a goaltender. The 2015 draft has the potential to be far and away the best we have ever had, with two top-4 defensemen already coming from that class.

We can talk about the guys we "should" have drafted or things we "could" have done, but hindsight is 20/20. Any team in the league would take a drafting record like this and be happy. Jarmo has done a fine job of finding talent.

We had three firsts in 2013: with Wennberg being the only one of the three to be a full time NHLer. And you know as well as I do about peoples thoughts on him. He's an NHL player though. Dano showed sparks but can't stick. That's not an ideal haul in what was thought of as a deep draft. But like I said, he was able to sell high on Dano and make the best out of Rychel, so its not a huge deal. Bjorkstrand shows promise so we'll see where it goes. The rest of the draft has busted.

2014 like you said, is big whiff. Only Milano and Elvis remain as NHL prospects. We'll see what happens, but its not ideal.

2015 looks pretty good. Werenski, Stenlund, Gavrikov, Nutivaara all remain as solid players/prospects within the organization, and Kolesar is one for Vegas. You bring up Bittner, which fair enough, but I disagree with. All in all though, seems like an excellent draft year if at least one more of Stenlund, Gavrikov, or Kolesar hit, with at the very least being a very good draft year.

2016 is still TBD, but PLD is a massive hit. We'll see on the rest (Peeke, Abramov). Thome and Thurkauf aren't NHL prospects.

All of 2017 and 2018 are too early to tell. But I am in the business of being fair, so we'll look at the positives. Texier, Tarasov, Bemstrom, Davidsson, Foudy, Marchenko, and Vehvilainen all look like solid prospects. TFW is a nice late round gamble, and Berni had a solid WJC. We'll see how this crop develops.

In review: Jarmo seems to hit when picking in the top half of the draft with PLD, Werenski, and Wennberg (with the first two being potential home runs). Bottom half not so good (Rychel, Dano, Milano, and Carlsson). And a mixed bag in the 2nd-3rd round with some late round gems.

I think you put it best with "fine job." But when he was hired he was seen as some super scout. Without doing research I would assume we're in the middle of the pack/upper middle of the pack of drafting/development. So, yeah. He's been fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac DeMarco

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
We had three firsts in 2013: with Wennberg being the only one of the three to be a full time NHLer. And you know as well as I do about peoples thoughts on him. He's an NHL player though. Dano showed sparks but can't stick. That's not an ideal haul in what was thought of as a deep draft. But like I said, he was able to sell high on Dano and make the best out of Rychel, so its not a huge deal. Bjorkstrand shows promise so we'll see where it goes. The rest of the draft has busted.

2014 like you said, is big whiff. Only Milano and Elvis remain as NHL prospects. We'll see what happens, but its not ideal.

2015 looks pretty good. Werenski, Stenlund, Gavrikov, Nutivaara all remain as solid players/prospects within the organization, and Kolesar is one for Vegas. You bring up Bittner, which fair enough, but I disagree with. All in all though, seems like an excellent draft year if at least one more of Stenlund, Gavrikov, or Kolesar hit, with at the very least being a very good draft year.

2016 is still TBD, but PLD is a massive hit. We'll see on the rest (Peeke, Abramov). Thome and Thurkauf aren't NHL prospects.

All of 2017 and 2018 are too early to tell. But I am in the business of being fair, so we'll look at the positives. Texier, Tarasov, Bemstrom, Davidsson, Foudy, Marchenko, and Vehvilainen all look like solid prospects. TFW is a nice late round gamble, and Berni had a solid WJC. We'll see how this crop develops.

In review: Jarmo seems to hit when picking in the top half of the draft with PLD, Werenski, and Wennberg (with the first two being potential home runs). Bottom half not so good (Rychel, Dano, Milano, and Carlsson). And a mixed bag in the 2nd-3rd round with some late round gems.

I think you put it best with "fine job." But when he was hired he was seen as some super scout. Without doing research I would assume we're in the middle of the pack/upper middle of the pack of drafting/development. So, yeah. He's been fine.

I think well above average, based on the picks he's been given. Finding an Alex Wennberg outside of the top-10 is a lot more common than a Dylan Larkin or Brock Boeser. I think drafting is the least of our concerns, developing is where we need improvement. It'll get there.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012

This got me wondering so I went and looked at hockeydb.

2013 Players with fewer games than our picks (Rychel 43):
11 - Sam Morin (PHI) - 3 GP
22 - Emile Poirier (CGY) - 8 GP
24 - Hunter Shinkaruk (VAN) - 15 GP

Wennberg Has played 337 games. Of that 1st round, MacKinnon, Barkov, Jones, Lindholm, Monahan, Ristolainen, Horvat have played more.

2014, Milano has not faired well:
5 - Dal Colle (NYI) - 23 GP
7 - Fleury (CAR) - 79 GP (cose enough)
14 - Honka (DAL) - 87 GP (just a note ;))
26 - Scherbak (MTL) - 37 GP
28 - Ho Sang (NYI) - 53 GP
30 - Quenneville (NJD) 29 GP

2014 was a rough draft for the Islanders. They have a total of 97 GP from 7 picks including those two 1sts.

Reactions: Sore Loser

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad