Confirmed with Link: Columbus trade Kolesar to Vegas for pick #45

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
Not a fan of this one. Regardless of how much I liked Kolesar, I think the question in my mind is does he have the value of a mid 2nd round pick at this point. I think he showed upward trajectory this year that indicates higher value than pick 45. So just on that level I don't like it. Then you add the fact that the guy we picked plays in a low tier league that has no significant track record of producing NHL players as far as I'm aware.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Not a fan of this one. Regardless of how much I liked Kolesar, I think the question in my mind is does he have the value of a mid 2nd round pick at this point. I think he showed upward trajectory this year that indicates higher value than pick 45. So just on that level I don't like it. Then you add the fact that the guy we picked plays in a low tier league that has no significant track record of producing NHL players as far as I'm aware.

None, that's true. But wasn't it the case with Kopitar too?
When the talent is there...

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

2 goals for France against Denmark. So of the 8 goals I've seen, every one of them is 8 feet and in. Like the fact he appears to like to attack the net, not float around.

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
None, that's true. But wasn't it the case with Kopitar too?
When the talent is there...

I'll take you at your word re Kopitar and certainly there's first times and exceptions to every rule and I hope this is one of those times. But I still balk at the idea of the value. Feels like Kolesar is worth more than 45.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

I dont like trading him for a pick regardless but Im not worried about Jarmo and his staff "reaching" for a player, thats 1 thing I dont question Jarmo on ever. Still dont like the trade as a whole but I do trust this groups ability to find talent and not going to discredit Texier because im upset about who was sent out to get him

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Well I jokingly asked for Datszuk or Zetterberg. I believe we just picked up a French version in Texier. I love Kolesar as much as anyone but Jarmo & crew know what they are doing. Ya gotta have faith" GM:handclap::handclap:

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Texier is rumored to play in Sweden next season, enjoying both time in SHL and SuperElite, yet he was rumored to play in Finland as well, SM Liiga being the closest to north american leagues and Texier was willing to play in a tougher championship. Maybe he could benefit some of Jarno relations in Finland now.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Texier is rumored to play in Sweden next season, enjoying both time in SHL and SuperElite, yet he was rumored to play in Finland as well, SM Liiga being the closest to north american leagues and Texier was willing to play in a tougher championship. Maybe he could benefit some of Jarno relations in Finland now.

just saw a tweet that he is likely to be drafted in the CHL draft Tuesday. No guarantee he will come over, but worth watching

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
One of the top hockey academy programs in Sweden like Frölunda would be ideal since he could play at both the junior and senior level (if he's able).

Kopitar did play in Sweden, but for Södertälje who does recruit players from Europe but isn't known for really developing and doesn't have the same level of development program and coaching. David Pastrnak also played for Södertälje and it probably was what caused him to drop in the draft since he wasn't coached very well.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
CBJ have gritty two way wingers coming out of their ears. Plus they are a dime a dozen around the league. Nothing wrong with stocking the prospect pool with skilled centers. I like it.

My initial take too.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Well, we definitely needed prospect centers, and what little I can find on this guy sounds good. Not as enamored with Kolesar as some here, but still... hoping this pans out. (If only for the inevitable "nice shootin', Tex" plays on words that will ensue.)

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I got the impression that the club was extremely high on Kolesar. Guess Jarmo got shiny new toy syndrome. And the points about gritty wingers being far easier to come by is very true as well.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I got the impression that the club was extremely high on Kolesar. Guess Jarmo got shiny new toy syndrome. And the points about gritty wingers being far easier to come by is very true as well.

Not having a pick until the 3rd round for a draft guy must be pretty tough. I personally think getting a 2nd back from Kolesar is really good value, some NHLers don't even carry that price. We'll see how Tex turns out

Now that Russian goalie.... That I'm excited about..

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Kolesar was going to be good, but it was going to be hard to fit him into the lineup. We simply have too many quality bottom 6 players for him to have had a reasonable shot within the next few years, so we traded him for an upside pick.

I really like this Texier kid, he seems like a real talent.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Kolesar was a player who was almost guaranteed to make it to the NHL. The questions was whether that as a 4th liner or a 2nd liner. Remember, Boll put up some good numbers in the OHL.

Texier has 1st line potential. But it's too early to say exactly how likely that potential is.

I'm not sure I like this trade since it's taking away a player who could help in the near future for one that's far more risky and long term. I'm not sure pulling the trigger on the trade was necessary. Would Texier have been there at #86? Joni Ikonen was still on the board and would be a similar kind of swing for the fences type of pick with less risk.

Prospects usually listen to the team that drafts them over where they think they should play. If the Jackets tell Texier he should be in the CHL, he'll likely go there. But I can see Jarmo thinking that prospects can develop just as well in Europe. The both Sweden and Finland are irked about prospects going to NA and the AHL, so NHL teams referring their prospects to those countries would be a sign of goodwill as well.

But lemme add that not many players have gone from the French league to the SHL and made an easy transition. So I wouldn't expect Texier to be able to immediately play for an SHL men's team. Maybe Allsvenskan. 4th round pick Emil Bemström will play for Leksand in Allsvenskan next season (they were relegated). Texier playing there with Bemström wouldn't be a bad idea.

Last edited:

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
CBJ have gritty two way wingers coming out of their ears. Plus they are a dime a dozen around the league. Nothing wrong with stocking the prospect pool with skilled centers. I like it.

I really like Kolesar, but this is my thinking as well. It isn't like we gave up one of our top prospects.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
This kids highlights look better than a lot of kids who got drafted in the first round, IMO. Not that it means much, but he definitely looks skilled.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

How does a prospect who has never played in the AHL or NHL have more value than this? I like Kolesar, but there is a lot of overrating going on.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I'm not sure I like this trade since it's taking away a player who could help in the near future for one that's far more risky and long term.

I actually think that might be a plus. We don't have a lot of room right now and have a lot of guys we are going to have to pay. This allows us to spread out our prospects a little better, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad