Confirmed with Link: Columbus trade Kolesar to Vegas for pick #45

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
Kolesar was a third-round pick when he was drafted, and now Jarmo's flipped him for a second-rounder. Texier looks like a genuine talent, too. Much as I was looking forward to seeing Kolesar in Columbus, diversifying the prospect pool in both age and skillset makes sense. It's also possible that Jarmo and co. think Kolesar's never going to be more valuable than he is now, and it's also possible they're right about that. I'm not going to play expert, I'm just excited to have Tex on board (that's got to be his nickname, right?) and I hope Kolesar does well in Vegas.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Alright, We upgraded Kolesar who was a 3rd round pick just a couple years ago into a mid 2nd round pick some 2 years later. Shoot, I remember last year-Tampa Bay traded a 1st round prospect in 2014-Anthony Deangelo for a 2nd round pick, albeit he has some issues.

I seen someone mention that they think Kolesar could bring back a 1st round pick.. I highly doubt that. I think 2nd round pick is decent value for Kolesar. Keep in mind, he doesn't have any AHL/NHL games to judge on either.

Texier is 17 years old still. He just barely made the cut-off birthday for this draft. Yes, he was playing in the French men's league.. He had 19 points in 40 games during the regular season, but he scored 10 points in 12 games in the playoffs for that league. Of course, he was a pretty big riser as a prospect. Shoot, I've seen several draft evaluators have him ranked in the top 50 prospects so it's not like we had a major reach on him. Shoot, one draft guy listed "Top 6 Center potential". We'll see if he goes to Sweden, Finland, or the CHL next season and kind of truly see how he compares. I'm not one to really critique Jarmo and his staff for his scouting over here. He's done really well in that regard.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
How is a 6'3" 227 pound winger that led his playoffs in scoring expendable? I absolutely hate this trade. We already have one soft center in Wennberg
Because it's jrs, tons of kids have led their team in playoff scoring and amount to nothing. Jr production means jack **** until you do it against men.

And why would you bring Wennberg into this? How many big two way forward centers are winning cups? Toews... Kopitar...? And how has going big worked for LA lately? We have two big centers already, Dubi and PLD. As far as size on the roster, Boone, Dubi, Foligno, Hartnell, Anderson, Jones, Savard, Werenski, PLD.. All are over 6' 200lbs

Not to mention Gavrikov and Carlsson are ginormous

I feel like you're stuck in the 80s or 90s, this team has a lot of size already but is lacking serious top tier talent.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
How is a 6'3" 227 pound winger that led his playoffs in scoring expendable? I absolutely hate this trade. We already have one soft center in Wennberg

Because we already have two players exactly like him in Jenner and Anderson. I liked Kolesar too, but having three of the same type of player doesn't make sense. I wish we kept him, because I think he could have pushed out Calvert or Hartnell in a year or two. But we need more center prospects.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Little surprised at this trade as I was high on Kolesar but:

1) I also wonder whether something like this was part of the previous trade but it was contingent on a certain player(s) being available at a given pick.

2) I trust Jarmo in drafting so I'll defer any judgement until we see what this kid can bring in a few years.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
We traded Kolesar because we think we got someone much better.

I second the earlier point though as this smells of prearranged. It was suspected at one point, we were trading our 1st pick for a later second. Plus "prospect" seemed always in the equation. Likely contingent on how we liked our list at that point.

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
I saw Texier 1st game vs men. It was the 1st game of the season, on his 17th birthday. He scored a hat trick.

What I like about him, it's his leadership. He was captain of the U18 team who earned the promotion to elite for the 1st time ever. I saw some clips about his speach before the game, that was something. Captain.

To put it in perspective, we never had a player so effective this young in France. Never ever. That's the 1st time ever scouts went to our Magnus league to scout someone.
He's the jewel of the French system at this point, and will become a true role model for a lot of our prospects, who, now, can think "I can be drafted at 18 year old".

10 years ago, our league was a mess, our national team was at the second level and we didn't have a true federation.
And now... 3 players in the NHL, a prospect drafted out of our league, 44 games instead of 24, the U18 program reaching the elite...

That's a huge moment for our hockey country :)

EDIT : I'm reading a french report by a local media. Columbus came 10 times to see him in Grenoble. That's something.

Last edited:

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
I saw Texier 1st game vs men. It was the 1st game of the season, on his 17th birthday. He scored a hat trick.

What I like about him, it's his leadership. He was captain of the U18 team who earned the promotion to elite for the 1st time ever. I saw some clips about his speach before the game, that was something. Captain.

To put it in perspective, we never had a player so effective this young in France. Never ever. That's the 1st time ever scouts went to our Magnus league to scout someone.
He's the jewel of the French system at this point, and will become a true role model for a lot of our prospects, who, now, can think "I can be drafted at 18 year old".

10 years ago, our league was a mess, our national team was at the second level and we didn't have a true federation.
And now... 3 players in the NHL, a prospect drafted out of our league, 44 games instead of 24, the U18 program reaching the elite...

EDIT : I'm reading a french report by a local media. Columbus came 10 times to see him in Grenoble. That's something.

Thanks for sharing. I'm in the camp we have a plethora of 3rd and 4th liners. I have no problem with his pick, Jarmo knows a helluva lot more than me.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Saw a quote on the Twitter from Jarmo that said he would have taken Texier at 24 if they kept the pick. Clearly very high on this kid. 6' at 17 still leaves room for growth too. Needed future high end prospects.

Now can be win a face off? :D

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I have got to say that I am really impressed by Jarmo's moves. He got rid of Clarkson and still managed to preserve what, in effect, seems to be his intended first round pick, a high skill young center. Very nice.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I have got to say that I am really impressed by Jarmo's moves. He got rid of Clarkson and still managed to preserve what, in effect, seems to be his intended first round pick, a high skill young center. Very nice.

Don't forget cap space. Now we just need to use the cap space to sign our guys, and see if we can add something else.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Alright, We upgraded Kolesar who was a 3rd round pick just a couple years ago into a mid 2nd round pick some 2 years later.

This is why I love draft picks. Kolesar came to Dev Camp and Traverse City. They probably spent some development team time keeping in touch with his junior team coaches and trainers. All things considered they didn't spend a ton of $$ on his development. I hate losing this kid.......,but

We traded Kolesar because we think we got someone much better..

Exactly. I don't know Tex. He was ranked #98 in the Hockey News draft preview. But I trust Jarmo and scouting team that they know what they are doing. If the CBJ keep hitting on draft pick and enhancing value, they are going to have a stable of prospects that they package and flip for the complementary pieces they need.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

thanks for the post! is that speech online anywhere?

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
thanks for the post! is that speech online anywhere?

I'll try to find it.

Last words :
At 14, he started at the U18 level, scoring 11 pts in 8 games.
At 15, he was a regular at U18 with 34 pts in 17 games.
The next season, at 16, he was double shifted, playing both U18 (70 pts in 17 games, and 21 more in 6 playoffs games) and U22. Against players 6 years older, he had 17 pts in 11 games.
This season, at 17, he played 6 games with the national team and finished with 2 goals and 2 assists.
Here's the scoring board for France at the international level this year :
http://www.eliteprospects.com/leagu...=&nation=14&nationname=France&age=&prospects=

Yes, Texier was good, and only a late shoulder injury in training camp stopped him. He was penciled for France 2nd line for the World championships.

Goldorak

Sep 7, 2013
Indeed he was the only player missing for France at the senior WC. Would have likely played 2nd line center on a team that had 4 players with some NHL experience(Roussel, Bellemarre, Auvitu, Da Costa). At worst he would have been the 13th forward running the second PP.

Saw him play some warm up games and he didn't look out of place at all. Good speed and vision, of course he'll need to fill out but that's the case with just about any 17YO. He's quite competitive even against grown men and ran afoul of the soft refereeing in France on a few occasions, that's a good thing.:nod:

Injury that made him miss WC was a shoulder, he's had surgery and has been rehabbing in Grenoble. Will be interesting to see where he ends up next year. I doubt he can get ice time in SHL but Superelit with some Allsvenskan should be doable. Finland is also a possibility with his agent and now new GM both hailing from there. QMJHL seems a distant third option based on his comments today.

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
Over in the Draft thread, JacketsFanWest does a pretty good job of summing up my concerns about the trade: 'I don't mind the Texier pick, but I'm not sure about giving up Keegan to draft a risky player.'

All in all, neither is a lock for NHL time, but it certainly seems like we traded away the less-risky player. Las Vegas got a player on a trajectory to be a 4th liner, maybe a 3rd liner, in exchange for a near unknown quantity (who sounds like he has a desirable skillset but plays in a low tier league that doesn't provide a lot of great opportunities to compare skill-on-skill).

That's where I think we didn't maximize the value - we gave Las Vegas a much more certain win at the 45th pick and in exchange we got a high upside/potential bust. I would have been happier to see another pick coming back - maybe a 4th this year or something like a 3rd next. I don't know.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
According to Jarmo, Tex would have been our first round pick if we had one. Hence, getting him in the second round was getting value. I suspect that if Tex has not been available as the second young pick, we would d not have made the trade. As for your concern about giving up a "sure" fourth line wing, I am glad to see that our GM sees the franchise see as having gotten past holding funerals over the loss of a potential fourth liner.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
I have no issue with the trade. But like most hockey draftees because they are so young and play often in leagues where it is hard to know what the numbers mean, you really have no idea what Texier is going to be in 2-3 years when you can finally start to project something tangible in the NHL. Kolesar has become much more projectable because 2 years have past since he was drafted.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio

Thank you for sharing this information with us. Is there any chance you are related to Texier or are somone close to him? Do you know what his plans are for the future? I am hoping to see him at the prospects camp in Columbus where he can meet our other players, get a personalized fitness plan and just get comfortable with the arena, practice facility and the city of Columbus. I heard an interview where he said he chooses to develop in a Men's league vs the Canadian Major Jr.,

Would you mind keeping in touch with us as I do not speak or read French and it would be good to hear about his development. Thanks

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
you really have no idea what Texier is going to be in 2-3 years when you can finally start to project something tangible in the NHL.
Read the edit two or three posts above yours on Belizarius's post: Columbus scouts went to Grenoble 10 times to see this guy play. I agree that we have absolutely no way to judge goaltending defenders teammates etc., but our scouts saw this kid play 10 times in France. That lends some credence to Jarmo's comment that this was his pick at #24.

I can tell you I liked a lot of more highly known players at #24, but if Jarmo is that sold on him, I certainly am good with that. What I would like to ask Jarmo about is why he waited that long? Prearranged with McPhee if he's there I will trade you Keegan? How did he know Alex Texier would still be there at pick #48? Seems like a gamble for some kid you spent $25K scouting and had decided that you wanted

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
Thank you for sharing this information with us. Is there any chance you are related to Texier or are somone close to him? Do you know what his plans are for the future? I am hoping to see him at the prospects camp in Columbus where he can meet our other players, get a personalized fitness plan and just get comfortable with the arena, practice facility and the city of Columbus. I heard an interview where he said he chooses to develop in a Men's league vs the Canadian Major Jr.,

Would you mind keeping in touch with us as I do not speak or read French and it would be good to hear about his development. Thanks

Absolutely no relation, and in fact, I never saw him play live. I watched a lot of Grenoble games with the new streaming system which was implemanted this season, though.

I'm writing a lot of articles for a french website and a magazine, and went the last 4 years to the world championship with media accreditation. I was so dispapointed when he injured his shoulder during the last pre-tournament game :(

I can share with you some news about him, no problem.

Today, he had half a page in the lone daily sports newspaper in France. That's huge, because hockey is a very small part of their pages usually.

For the people who can read French, here the article :
http://hpics.li/b0854ea

What Texier said :
-didn't expected to be drafted this high, proud for french hockey
-happy to be the 1st pick of Columbus, makes him prouder than being a 4th or 5th choice
-the draft isn't the end, understands the importance of what is coming ahead. Columbus traded up for him, that means a lot and he wants to succeed for that
-no preference for next year. Will see with agent and team. Wants a team where he'll have a good spot, a good role
-says to be drafted is just a start for French hockey. Not a curiosity anymore and believe one day, sooner than later, a kid from France will be drafted in the 1st round. And why not, like Switzerland, 1st overall.

I read elsewhere he's considering Finland (agent is from there and he had some summer training there), Sweden. CHL is the 3rd choice for him, depends of which team will pick him during the import draft. But he would like to play vs grown men.
He's going to the rookie camp in Columbus, though he's still rehabbing from the shoulder injury. Will be ready in august.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad