Confirmed with Link: Columbus trade Kolesar to Vegas for pick #45

letsgocaps

Apr 5, 2008
FRANCE
I also watched him play quite a lot this year. I was joking with one of my friend at the start of the year that he was going to get drafted in the first round. I was close.

What I like about his game is that he plays bigger than his size. He is not afraid to throw hits, or shove opponents. He will win board battles and he will not get knocked off the puck easily.

Someone asked if he could win faceoff, I think this is something he needs to improve..

I personally hope he plays in Finland so I can keep on watching the games on fanseat.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Thanks all. I find this pick extremely interesting. Jarmo went a bit off the grid to find his star: we needed a Datsyuk / Zetterberg type at centre ice and I believe Jarmo jumped all over it. How disappointed would he have been if he had been picked sooner? We will never know

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Interesting deal.

Kolesar scored 60 points in the WHL in the year he turned 20. That hardly projects to much in the NHL-if he ever makes it. He has the look (on paper) of a run-of-the-mill plug.

According to one of the posters, Texier ranked 24th on the CBJ board for this year's draft. That alone makes the trade worthwhile. Texier is from a league which apparently has flown under the NHL radar. One of Jarmo's major assets is his intimate knowledge of European hockey and he may have just turned over a stone his colleagues in the NHL haven't even deemed worthy of a look/see.

On the highest of upsides, there's a Datsyuk (171st pick 1998) or Zetterberg (210th pick 1999) possibility. On the highest of downsides, the CBJ risk losing a Josh Anderson-type player (based on junior numbers and physical size). Seems like a worthwhile roll of the dice to me.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Read the edit two or three posts above yours on Belizarius's post: Columbus scouts went to Grenoble 10 times to see this guy play. I agree that we have absolutely no way to judge goaltending defenders teammates etc., but our scouts saw this kid play 10 times in France. That lends some credence to Jarmo's comment that this was his pick at #24.

I can tell you I liked a lot of more highly known players at #24, but if Jarmo is that sold on him, I certainly am good with that. What I would like to ask Jarmo about is why he waited that long? Prearranged with McPhee if he's there I will trade you Keegan? How did he know Alex Texier would still be there at pick #48? Seems like a gamble for some kid you spent $25K scouting and had decided that you wanted

When we did all that scouting we still had the 24th pick and had no reason to think we wouldn't have it. Also, it's their job to scout players. They are going to be out scouting players all year no matter what picks we have. Obviously, who you scout might change a little, but you are spending money on scouting no matter what the situation is.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I think you & are on the same page her RD and you are correct, we did still have 24 when the scouting was being done of course. My point was that they didn't just scout, they traveled to and from France 10X to see this prospect. We do not have European scouts on staff, this is not like traveling over to Oxford to see the Meyers kid. Alexander Texier is a Jarmo special, and that gets me pretty excited for his future.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I think you & are on the same page her RD and you are correct, we did still have 24 when the scouting was being done of course. My point was that they didn't just scout, they traveled to and from France 10X to see this prospect. We do not have European scouts on staff, this is not like traveling over to Oxford to see the Meyers kid. Alexander Texier is a Jarmo special, and that gets me pretty excited for his future.

Director of Amateur Scouting: Ville Siren

Scouting Coordinator: Scott Harris

Assistant Director of Amateur Scouting: Chris Morehouse

Director of European Scouting: Josef Boumedienne

Amateur Scouts: Mike Antonovich, Marshall Davidson, Greg Drechsel, Derek Ginnell, Stephane Leblanc, Phil McRae, Rob Riley, Milan Tichy

Pro Scouts: Peter Dineen, Blake Geoffrion, Bob Halkidis, John Hill, Dan Hinote, Doug Macdonald, Sam McMaster

European Video Scout: Simon Barrette

Scout: Craig Hartsburg

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Ville Siren primarily located in Europe as well?

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Director of Amateur Scouting: Ville Siren

Scouting Coordinator: Scott Harris

Assistant Director of Amateur Scouting: Chris Morehouse

Amateur Scouts: Mike Antonovich, Marshall Davidson, Greg Drechsel, Derek Ginnell, Stephane Leblanc, Phil McRae, Rob Riley, Milan Tichy

Pro Scouts: Peter Dineen, Blake Geoffrion, Bob Halkidis, John Hill, Dan Hinote, Doug Macdonald, Sam McMaster

European Video Scout: Simon Barrette

Scout: Craig Hartsburg

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Ville Siren primarily located in Europe as well?

Yes he is

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Oops.. don't know what I was thinking there, forgive me folks I think I errored in my statement. I might have been thinking no scouts in FRANCE, but translated that to no scouts in Europe by the time it got to the keyboard. My bad.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Oops.. don't know what I was thinking there, forgive me folks I think I errored in my statement. I might have been thinking no scouts in FRANCE, but translated that to no scouts in Europe by the time it got to the keyboard. My bad.

Happens to the best of us! I'm sure they really had to twist arms to get the Euro scouts to visit France. :laugh:

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
Happens to the best of us! I'm sure they really had to twist arms to get the Euro scouts to visit France. :laugh:

Yes, that's definitely an unusual scouting travel. But looks like some scouts went to see other prospects as well (Ville, Koudri) while they were there. Hopefully they were impressed by the French league level of play and they will come back next year :)
We have some nice prospects, like Sarlin, Richard or Pascal :)

Heinze 57

Jan 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Oh
Rats. I got to see Kolesar I few times when I was still living in Seattle and developed an instant attachment. Was really looking forward to seeing him working in our professional ranks this season.

Turning a 2015 3rd rounder into a 2017 second rounder isn't bad on paper, but it'll be a few years before we know if this was a good move.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I just assumed since this thread is mostly about texier. I know he's hurt but it's he even over in the states for the draft?

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Maybe the quote is from Texier, but the picture is definitely of Meyer.

Meyer_Carson_20160914_D2117_28_medium.jpg

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Good grief guys, this shouldn't be that hard. Dude talking about staying in Ohio for a while is the guy from Ohio. Texier is not at camp, as Portzline has mentioned 10 times. Also, this is a pic of Texier for future reference.

video-alexandre-texier-talent-brut-du-hockey-francais-tout-le-sport-hockey-extrait_788c23e4b2b4ae660ae5ec7c473907a7.jpg

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Oh to be 17 again...well, maybe not...

The photos of Texeir made me laugh, just incredible how young these kids are, and yet how much expectation we put on them. That's not aimed at anybody - our group includes retired professionals to professional students. As a group we are passionate about our hockey club - and on here it sometimes reads like our players are expected to be plug-n-play, be ultra-talented, think like grizzled vets, always giving 100% effort, without making any major mistakes, etc...

Those 2 photos reminded me how that very much is not the case. Our group, collectively, takes HOURS upon hours to discuss whether a 17 yr old draftee was worth a trade of another, albeit somewhat older "kid." Not bashing any of us for doing it, just finding some perspective here. 'cause that's what these Boards are for.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
........, just incredible how young these kids are, and yet how much expectation we put on them.

If you have lived in this town for any length of time, you have had ample opportunity to learn how to heap totally unrealistic expectations on teenagers and very young adults (then complain mercilessly when they fail to achieve).

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
If you have lived in this town for any length of time, you have had ample opportunity to learn how to heap totally unrealistic expectations on teenagers and very young adults (then complain mercilessly when they fail to achieve).

55+ years...all but 5 right here. In my HEAD, I know we do this with OSU sports, Cavs, Browns, Bengals, Indians, Reds and CBJ....but it still amazes me and the photos only emphasized it for me (again). That or I am just lamenting (or in denial of) being older...and older...and older, every year. LOL :laugh:

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Baie-Comeau selected Texier in the Import draft. He's better off staying in Europe.

Baie-Comeau posted this on their site (in French, of course)

« Nous avons eu des discutions avec lui et son agent dernièrement. Il était au sommet de la liste des joueurs sur qui nous avions un œil. Maintenant que sa sélection est faite, nous continuerons du discuter avec eux au courant des prochaines semaines », conclue Steve Ahern.

Google Translate English version:
"We had discussions with him and his agent lately. He was at the top of the list of players we had an eye on. Now that his selection has been made, we will continue to discuss it with them over the next few weeks, "says Steve Ahern.

http://le-drakkar.com/article/le-dr...ors-de-la-seance-de-selection-europeenne-2017

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->