Friedman: Columbus shopping Domi

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I like his game, but it’d be tough for Toronto to trade for him cap-wise.

Kerfoot + Engvall + solid prospect
for
Domi with minor retention (~$1 mil retained? Whatever we’d need to make the cap work)

The question would be which solid prospect. Liljegren? That might be a bit too much for 1 year of Domi, though.

I'm sure Columbus would be fine retaining a lot. If you can find a way to do it that doesn't require taking on the extra year of Kerfoot, that will make a better deal for you. It's not at all that Kerfoot is a bad player, he's fine, but they're not going to want to make roster commitments next year out of a Domi trade.

Or here's another idea - Columbus retains half on Domi, and the Leafs retain $1m on Kerfoot and send a 2nd rounder to Columbus. That makes for a salary neutral deal this year, and makes it easier for Columbus to unload Kerfoot next year.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I like his game, but it’d be tough for Toronto to trade for him cap-wise.

Kerfoot + Engvall + solid prospect
for
Domi with minor retention (~$1 mil retained? Whatever we’d need to make the cap work)

The question would be which solid prospect. Liljegren? That might be a bit too much for 1 year of Domi, though.

It's not that hard if Columbus retains

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Gardiner + 2nd for Domi

Fits well in Carolina

They might part with Domi for a 2nd but I don't see them willingly taking on multi-year cap dumps like Gardiner. If you have a one year cap dump we might be able to work something out.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
lol Francis
I don’t get it. This shows Francis was right not taking him. He’s been available this whole time. Pretty much everyone left exposed on those lists was offered to all teams so they wouldn’t be lost for nothing, with the exception of those guys who helped the team meet a requirement. Domi was clearly offered to everyone before the draft and because of the shoulder, lack of performance and one year left on his deal no one wants him.

But Francis gets LOL’s for not wanting him either.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Just had surgery, last year before UFA, $6mil this season, so when do they expect him to recover by?
I would love to have a healthy Domi back with the Coyotes, but right now, he has low value until he's healthy. I think a Domi-Schmaltz on a line would work.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Domi is going to be out until December because of a offseason shoulder surgery.
That could work out well for a team like the Avs. Get him cheap because of the injury situation, and him being out for 3 months gives the Avs time to give young guys like Newhook, Kaut, Ranta some ice time to see what they've got. Basically treat Domi as a cheap deadline rental. Then if he does well you have the inside track to signing him in 2022.

Reactions: Apocalypse Dude

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
He's owed 6M in salary with no signing bonuses or anything paid by CBJ, pending UFA, and will miss at least 1-2 months after a shoulder surgery after a pretty abysmal season.

I don't think he has much trade value at all. Sounds like Jackets are just trying to jettison him if they can.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
What's wrong with the kid?.. has there ever been reports of him being a head case or anything?

Seems to wear out his welcome quick with teams
From Friedman's rumor, it sounds that it is more about stylistic fit. The Jackets moved Atkinson for Voracek because of fit (they had too many shooting wingers and not enough playmakers). Maybe they are looking at their roster and prospects and coming to the conclusion that Domi is the odd man out in a numbers game.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think what we need the most right now is:
1) Futures, and/or
2) A RD who can play a "mentor" role.

Retention is a complete and total nonissue.

Reactions: Fro

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
That could work out well for a team like the Avs. Get him cheap because of the injury situation, and him being out for 3 months gives the Avs time to give young guys like Newhook, Kaut, Ranta some ice time to see what they've got. Basically treat Domi as a cheap deadline rental. Then if he does well you have the inside track to signing him in 2022.

Domi $2m retained for Helleson.

I'd do it but maybe my sense of Helleson's value is inflated. We just need an RD who can grow into a shutdown role.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Domi $2m retained for Helleson.

I'd do it but maybe my sense of Helleson's value is inflated. We just someone who can grow into a shutdown RD.
Easy no. There's too many question marks with Domi that even at a $3.3m caphit (and $4m salary owed). He could return and struggle like Tarasenko after surgery. I wouldn't want to give up much of any significance, and certainly not a shutdown RHD prospect who's developing extremely well.

Reactions: AzHawk

GM Armchair

Dec 16, 2019
Doesn’t matter if he plays in a big market like Montreal or a small market like Arizona, kid is just a dud

Reactions: AzHawk

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2