Friedman: Columbus has shown interest in Galchenyuk

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Not a top 6 player...Oh boy 57 points and 30 goals in 2015-2016. Top 40 in the NHL for the first 24 games until his injury in Dec 2016 , all while playing C...Also 16 points in his last 18 games but sure he isn't a top 6 forward. Applying logic to the decisions of the Habs management was your first mistake.
Just giving the reality of the situation. The reality is also that he does not deserve top 6 minutes or to play center with how bad he is without the puck.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
To be fair, this is the team that is putting Byron as our #1C instead of putting Chucky there. At this point, the Habs would probably rather put a 60 yr old janitor in as the #1 C over Chucky (because MB publicly stated, Chucky will never play C).
I just don’t see why another team should value him like he does play top 6 Centre minutes when he doesn’t.

Reactions: Viqsi

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Just giving the reality of the situation. The reality is also that he does not deserve top 6 minutes or to play center with how bad he is without the puck.

Absolutely overblown, he isn't bad without the puck, he won't ever be a Selke candidate but his defensive issues are way overblown. Now if you're done repeating myths and appealing to authority, I'd be open to some real facts.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Well, to be fair, considering how the Habs have used him, does anyone know how to properly value him?
Yeah, you properly value him based on what he's doing and what he's done.

If Montreal thinks Galchenyuk playing at a different position or in different situations would better reflect his talent, it's incumbent upon them to do so.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Well, to be fair, considering how the Habs have used him, does anyone know how to properly value him?

Yes - we all do, actually. You value him how he's been used. Just as Philly sold a 50-60 point winger last year for two firsts, and he ended up going elsewhere to be a ~ppg center. You dont get to say "he could be" during trades of players, unless they are very early on in their development. Montreal decided to play him inconsistently at a position. They now get to reap those rewards by him having less trade value.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
none of us know what to properly value him. Thats GM MB's job to do and if he is seeking a trade, to return value back. From the outside looking in though, it sounds like he does not value him all that high.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Yes - we all do, actually. You value him how he's been used. Just as Philly sold a 50-60 point winger last year for two firsts, and he ended up going elsewhere to be a ~ppg center. You dont get to say "he could be" during trades of players, unless they are very early on in their development. Montreal decided to play him inconsistently at a position. They now get to reap those rewards by him having less trade value.
Well, okay...so he would then be traded as a 4th line, sometimes 3rd line winger...so...maybe a 5th round pick? A 3rd round pick if you are lucky?
Pretty much a nothing value player. Course, Drouin is a 3rd line player as well.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Well, okay...so he would then be traded as a 4th line, sometimes 3rd line winger...so...maybe a 5th round pick? A 3rd round pick if you are lucky?
Pretty much a nothing value player. Course, Drouin is a 3rd line player as well.

No, Galchenyuk has demonstrated to be able to produce 50 ish points. his value is that of a 1st or 2nd line winger, much like Schenn (though, before anyone goes off on a tangent, consider this - that trade also included a 2 year cap dump). What he hasnt demonstrated - be it his fault or not - is that he can play center.

You'd have to find a VERY unique circumstance where a team will still offer you value him as a center.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
No, Galchenyuk has demonstrated to be able to produce 50 ish points. his value is that of a 1st or 2nd line winger, much like Schenn (though, before anyone goes off on a tangent, consider this - that trade also included a 2 year cap dump). What he hasnt demonstrated - be it his fault or not - is that he cant play center.

You'd have to find a VERY unique circumstance where a team will still offer you value him as a center.
Ahh, but you said you evaluate him on how he's been used and he has not been used as a 1st or 2nd line winger. He's being used as a 4th line, sometimes promoted to 3rd line winger this year. He was used as a 4th line winger for a large chunk of last year as well. He 'was' used a top 6 forward for short bursts and has produced at almost ppg but as soon as he hits a bump he gets sent to the 4th line.
This is probably the first year he has produced at a good clip as a winger. Most of his good production over the years is when he played C (those rare times he has).

Mind you, I'm not arguing that he should be valued as a C because, as you say, he has not been a C. I'm just saying, how he's been used is a mystery to pretty much all Habs fans and none of us really know what he is.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Ahh, but you said you evaluate him on how he's been used and he has not been used as a 1st or 2nd line winger. He's being used as a 4th line, sometimes promoted to 3rd line winger this year. He was used as a 4th line winger for a large chunk of last year as well. He 'was' used a top 6 forward for short bursts and has produced at almost ppg but as soon as he hits a bump he gets sent to the 4th line.
This is probably the first year he has produced at a good clip as a winger. Most of his good production over the years is when he played C (those rare times he has).

Mind you, I'm not arguing that he should be valued as a C because, as you say, he has not been a C. I'm just saying, how he's been used is a mystery to pretty much all Habs fans and none of us really know what he is.

He's been used as a winger. All of my posts alluded to the idea that he should be valued as such. I don't place a line denomination based on where someone's played because, well, that isn't indicative of their skill. I don't view Malkin only as a 2nd line center just because he only plays 2C. I also don't view Sam Gagner as a 2nd line C just because he put up 50 points last year.

Prolonged usage dictates position. Prolonged production dictates line, generally speaking.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
That Werenski even gets mentioned in this thread and in this context is an incredibly ugly condemnation of the Habs fanbase.

Point being, as a team lacking high end talent, I'm not about to trade what little we have in that department for Jenner, Murray, Abramov and the likes. We're not in a position to move quality for quantity.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Don't see a way to make this work unless PLD or Werenski are on the table, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Some media guys in Montréal said he has been part of a detox program... Which hasn't been confirmed since it's meant to be anonymous and confidential.

Aside from that [unconfirmed] piece of information... Not much has happened off-ice. That time his girlfriend got into a fight with him or whatnot? Ended up being a non story for the most part.

Thing is, Bergevin wants a certain "kind" of player on this team. Good ol' Canadian mentality, if you will. Galchenyuk has typically associated with guys that didn't exactly go in that direction, guys like Subban, DSP, Beaulieu... How many of them is there left?

Trust me there is nothing the Habs have that could get Columbus to consider offering Werenski.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Point being, as a team lacking high end talent, I'm not about to trade what little we have in that department for Jenner, Murray, Abramov and the likes. We're not in a position to move quality for quantity.
Generally, the way one gets out of such a situation (at least in part) is by doing exactly that, only with taking chances on youngsters.

Not that that means you have to trade Galchenyuk; you've got to keep some of those guys as well so that kids don't get overwhelmed. Just that that doesn't completely rule out such a trade.

(And mentioning Werenski is still in poor taste. He's something just a tad beyond "high end talent".)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Chuckie is crap. 16 points in his last 20 games, I love how Habs fans love to focus on one side of the puck. He’s also -11 over that span, the only player worse is Drouin (-12) over the same time. 5 On 5 over that time he’s also 2nd worst forward at 46.65. That is Fing awful

Relying on plus/minus stats is crap. It's been debunked time and again but it's apparently still useful when constructing a narrative.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Absolutely overblown, he isn't bad without the puck, he won't ever be a Selke candidate but his defensive issues are way overblown. Now if you're done repeating myths and appealing to authority, I'd be open to some real facts.
I’ve given plenty of real facts that had my arrive at my opinion. All I get back are Habs fans covering their eyes and saying the facts aren’t true with nothing to back up what they are saying. Can you give me something other than giving me a baseless opinion?

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
You are what you are. Only silly GMs trade big assets for wingers they hope will be centers. I think Habs fans of all people can agree with that. How’s Drouin working out at center?:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad