Post-Game Talk: Columbus Downs Edmonton in a Shootout 5-4

Pablo Aimar

Nov 28, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Dreger did like the day after he was fired. I haven't really heard anything since. Might be I just haven't had my ear close enough to the ground :dunno:

And honestly... is the team really any better without Eakins? I'll full admit Eakins was terrible. Nelson is definitely a better fit for this team.

But even with having fixed the PP and having players like Eberle/Nuge/Yak scoring at or around a PPG lataely we've got one win in our last 10 games?

This team is just ****ing awful. That clearly was not even close to being all on Dallas Eakins. In the grand scheme of things it seems like it is a relatively minor part of it.

Ridiculous. Eakins had a team with Perron, Petry, and a healthy Taylor Hall. The team still sucks now but Nelson has much less to work with and the young players look infinitely better. Eakins was a big part of it. Unfortunately the biggest culprits, the idiots in management, are still around.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Dreger did like the day after he was fired. I haven't really heard anything since. Might be I just haven't had my ear close enough to the ground :dunno:

And honestly... is the team really any better without Eakins? I'll full admit Eakins was terrible. Nelson is definitely a better fit for this team.

But even with having fixed the PP and having players like Eberle/Nuge/Yak scoring at or around a PPG lataely we've got one win in our last 10 games?

This team is just ****ing awful. That clearly was not even close to being all on Dallas Eakins. In the grand scheme of things it seems like it is a relatively minor part of it.
Eakins was a huge problem. The team at least looks like it has some life in it now. They looked like they hated hockey when he was here. The biggest problem is still Mactavish and by extension Lowe. They aren't going anywhere until those two are gone.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Imagine an Eakins coached Oilers without Hall and Petry. We'd have less points than Buffalo.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Watching SportsCentre with some morning coffee and it wasn't until 17 minutes into the program that they ran Oilers highlights. Calgary/Toronto, Ottawa/Islanders, Raptors Basketball, Commercial, Dallas/Washington, Anaheim/Minnesota, and now Edmonton/Columbus closing it out.

Last billing on a Canadian network. Yikes.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Ridiculous. Eakins had a team with Perron, Petry, and a healthy Taylor Hall. The team still sucks now but Nelson has much less to work with and the young players look infinitely better. Eakins was a big part of it. Unfortunately the biggest culprits, the idiots in management, are still around.

Thanks. It pisses me off to no end that Nelson is getting half an AHL lineup to work with so that the org at the end of his run can pedantically say "not good enough" and go in search of other unknown idiots to bring in as headcoach.

Jesus couldn't coach this lineup to a winning record as I pointed out in disgust several games ago. A lineup of Aulie, Hamilton, Fraser, Oesterle, Klinkhammer, Gazdik, Marincin maybe All AHL but give you nothing at this level but loss after mounting loss of frustration.

A good team can absorb a few AHL recruits at any one time. A bad team can't absorb half a dozen of them..:shakehead

nando2392

Apr 26, 2013
Nuge is the key to our future, everyone understimate how silky he is!!! God with the puck

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I've got to defend Eakins here when he's getting bashed so hard... that guy was absolute gold in delivering a 30th place finish in a year when there was going to be 2 generational talents in this draft.

I have zero doubt the Oilers would be in 30th place right now under Eakins and well clear of Buffalo/Arizona.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
I know that................???

I've got to defend Eakins here when he's getting bashed so hard... that guy was absolute gold in delivering a 30th place finish in a year when there was going to be 2 generational talents in this draft.

I have zero doubt the Oilers would be in 30th place right now under Eakins and well clear of Buffalo/Arizona.

I know that you are being sarcastic but Buffalo and Arizona really are sucks.

Tonight for instant, both teams got shut out or at the max can only score one goal per game..........the Oilers at least can score and that's without Taylor Hall in the line up.

The Oilers problems are defensive.......!!!

Last edited:

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria

Tonight for instant, both teams got shut out or at the max can only score one goal per game..........the Oilers at least can score and that's without Taylor Hall in the line up.

Haha the one area our GM said that we are set, what kind of bizarro world does Craig live in?

Seriously, guys on the weed or something

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

The Oilers problems are everywhere. Arizona, Buffalo and New Jersey are the only team that scores fewer than the Oilers.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Side note. Interesting that Eberle is the 3rd highest point getter since early Feb. I knew he was playing well, but that is a high level even for him. Maybe that 70p+ season wasn't a one off.

Where do you find stats like this? NHL.com? I'd love to look at some other trends.

Good to see that Eberle has produced so much, hopefully him and Yakupov can carry this kind of play into next season

Arctic Fox

Nov 17, 2007
The Oilers problems are everywhere. Arizona, Buffalo and New Jersey are the only team that scores fewer than the Oilers.

But we are leading the league in goals against. It's quite obvious that we are set on D and G. At least visually. Craig's off it.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
My how you forget we were already last place for part of the year when we had all 3 haha

That man had a way with sucking the life out of a season.

Thanks. It pisses me off to no end that Nelson is getting half an AHL lineup to work with so that the org at the end of his run can pedantically say "not good enough" and go in search of other unknown idiots to bring in as headcoach.

Jesus couldn't coach this lineup to a winning record as I pointed out in disgust several games ago. A lineup of Aulie, Hamilton, Fraser, Oesterle, Klinkhammer, Gazdik, Marincin maybe All AHL but give you nothing at this level but loss after mounting loss of frustration.

A good team can absorb a few AHL recruits at any one time. A bad team can't absorb half a dozen of them..:shakehead

If Nelson gets turfed I hope that he goes somewhere and wins the Jack Adams and Stanley Cup the very next season while we continue to wallow in the pig **** that is the bottom of the league.

Without Hall, Petry, and Perron. Those are the key missing figures.

True because he had all 3 of them.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

Unsurprising given that every forward was on pace for career lows until Eakins left.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter

In his mind, it's just like the games on his computer, everyone's base stats will increase next year, no need to bring in anyone.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Unsurprising given that every forward was on pace for career lows until Eakins left.

What he said, and also it's hard to score goals when you are hemmed in your own zone for periods at a time.

I would be confident that goals for post eakins, and especially since Feb after Nelson could really start working finer points, are improved.

If we have competent system play and lineup decisions with improved D we won't be hemmed in out own zone and then I have no doubts these boys can score goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad