Colton Orr

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I think Orr is the best enforcer in the league. Great fighter, knows when to fight, who to fight, when to make big hits and rough up the other team.

Ask around on the main boards even, its almost a unanimous decision that Orr is the best enforcer.

Asif16*

Orr is the boss. Elite heavyweight in the game. Glad he is on our team.

I think the main thing people have to look at is Carlyle. Carlyle has literally made him a regular in the lineup. THere is just no way orr is coming out unless he is injured.

Polo*

Broll is not a heavyweight and neither is Bodie. In fact Bodie doesn't look like a good fighter at all. McLaren is a great fighter but he is not leaps and bounds better than Orr. Devane would be with the team if Carlyle felt comfortable with him in the line up.

One of the most inaccurate posts ive ever seen.

Anyways Orr was a beast in the playoffs and took care of Chara and ran him down many times.

What you guys are forgetting is his intimidation factor alone is a huge plus. When the leafs had no tough guys they were getting run by guys like Chris Neil and Milan Lucic. When Orr is in the line up these guys tend to behave themselves....or just simply focus their attention on Orr and McLaren

Kessel would be getting run non stop...Lupul would be injured twice as much if it wasnt for these guys

Use your smarts. Skill isnt the only thing that matters when it comes to being an enforcer.

The Hockey Life

Feb 27, 2011
Leafs Nation
I like Orr, don't get me wrong, I just think sometimes he gets us in the stupidest position by taking dumb penalties. Like last night in Edmonton when he just grabbed the guy 100ft away from the puck, it wasn't necessary and eventually led to RNH tying it up.

I like Orr, guy plays his role very well, I just think he needs to work on discipline and not taking stupid penalties.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

Anyways Orr was a beast in the playoffs and took care of Chara and ran him down many times.

What you guys are forgetting is his intimidation factor alone is a huge plus. When the leafs had no tough guys they were getting run by guys like Chris Neil and Milan Lucic. When Orr is in the line up these guys tend to behave themselves....or just simply focus their attention on Orr and McLaren

Kessel would be getting run non stop...Lupul would be injured twice as much if it wasnt for these guys

Use your smarts. Skill isnt the only thing that matters when it comes to being an enforcer.

How is it inaccurate?

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I like Orr, don't get me wrong, I just think sometimes he gets us in the stupidest position by taking dumb penalties. Like last night in Edmonton when he just grabbed the guy 100ft away from the puck, it wasn't necessary and eventually led to RNH tying it up.

I like Orr, guy plays his role very well, I just think he needs to work on discipline and not taking stupid penalties.

In his defense, that was one of the softest calls on the planet, and was followed up by the JVR phantom call.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013

This is it. You can't quantify how much more relaxed your skilled players are with 2 heavyweights like Orr and McLaren sitting on the bench. You just have to use them wisely and sparingly ie. not playing wing next to Kadri.
Rosehill injured 2 of our players, I can't imagine anybody else on this team trying to decapitate him. Tell me other teams' **** disturbers don't notice that stuff, play dirty with the Leafs and you better up your dental insurance.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Those who don't want Orr in the Lineup are Dumbasses, I bet you guys were enjoying seeing Steckel, Dupuis, Wallin, Crabb, etc on the fourth line and see the Leafs get pushed around every game.

leafstilldeath*

The Sheriff

sheriff-badge.jpg

Nuff Said

glg51*

What kills me is when people want guys on the 4th line that are offensive. I remember when everyone wanted Colbourne on the 4th line. Guy couldn't score on the 2nd or 3rd line... Wtf is he going to do with 5 minutes of icetime. Orr is the perfect 4th line player.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think Orr is the best enforcer in the league. Great fighter, knows when to fight, who to fight, when to make big hits and rough up the other team.

Ask around on the main boards even, its almost a unanimous decision that Orr is the best enforcer.

I second that, I still am miffed when posters say he is just a goon. He can play a 4th line shift and not hurt you, even trusted to move up on the 3rd line in light of injuries.

When Clarkson, Fraser, and Mclaren come back our team has a distinct personality. Given that we are 2nd in the NHL on the PK again this year, it's an edge we can afford.

Like it or not, these guys are a reason why we are night and day to the run and gun days when we often were intimidated as a team. Results say muscle matters.

ldnk

Apr 8, 2009
I'm not sure how Orr is the "perfect" 4th liner. Jay McLement is the perfect 4th liner. A guy who is strong defensively, but has a skill that the rest of the team doesn't that gets him additional minutes on the PK.

Colton Orr is really bad at hockey (relative to his peers). He's not the worst player in the league but he is the worst player on the team. He does provide a skill to the team in that he wins most of his fights but as we have seen from the first 6 games of the year. He fought in one of them. The first fight was a typically 4th on 4th, and the second fight wasn't even really a fight as it was a grab match that led to Parros face-planting on the ice and looking really ugly for the sport.

To me, a good 4th line can fight sure, but they play good defense. Colton Orr doesn't. A 4th liner should have a hockey-related skill that offsets the rest of their game being weak. Orr has that in fighting but nothing else. He takes too many penalties for what he offers back in return. Some of those are "reputation" calls, but they are there because of past experience and it isn't something that is going to change.

I'm ok if he's the 12th/13th forward on the team in general, but I think it is a downright shame that he makes close to a million dollars on a cap-starved team and that superior players get demoted despite superior play. Top 6 forwards deserve leeway and reputation spots on NHL teams. 4th liners shouldn't.

This "muscle matters" garbage is completely overblown. You know what the biggest difference between the Wilson teams that couldn't make the playoffs and the Carlyle team that did?

JVR, Kadri, Lupul, McLement, Franson, Bernier, a good Reimer, a more mature Kessel. But hey, it couldn't be that, it must be Colton Orr's 5 minutes a game.

hockeyfanz*

Colton Orr...:laugh:

Absolute horrible hockey player.

One of the best fighters in hockey bar none.

Seems like a pretty cool guy.

Not an NHL caliber player.

The Truth.

yakfish

"Holy Mackinaw!"
Dec 21, 2012
Ohio
What's up with Orr not fighting since the Parros incident? Is he afraid he will hurt someone? Or is he just not able to find a sparring partner? Also his checking game seems to have lost a few steps as well. He's not been nearly as physical this year. I'm happy we have MacLaren back in the line up to help pick up some of the slack. This team needs to get more physical again. Teams just don't seem to be as intimidated as they were last season. I am missing the Colton Orr of last season.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
I thought Orr played his best game of the season yesterday. He was hitting, forechecking, backchecking and also intimidating others players. He's also pretty good along the boards as well. Definitely should be a regular when we have a full line-up. Him along with McLaren will help create an identity for the leafs which is hard, physical, fighting team. Something that has been missing since the start of the season.

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
What's up with Orr not fighting since the Parros incident? Is he afraid he will hurt someone? Or is he just not able to find a sparring partner? Also his checking game seems to have lost a few steps as well. He's not been nearly as physical this year. I'm happy we have MacLaren back in the line up to help pick up some of the slack. This team needs to get more physical again. Teams just don't seem to be as intimidated as they were last season. I am missing the Colton Orr of last season.

Orr has been fantastic the last couple games....good defensively, blocked some shots, no dumb penalties, hitting everything in sight, seems like his skating has improved too. I don't know what guy your watching. Last night especially, he along with Ashton and McClement were a monster forechecking line.

As for the fighting thing, it takes two to tango. No one seems overly interested in fighting him, as he's tried to get into them a few times and guys have simply said no, such as Bollig on Chicago.

ldnk

Apr 8, 2009
I thought Orr played his best game of the season yesterday. He was hitting, forechecking, backchecking and also intimidating others players. He's also pretty good along the boards as well. Definitely should be a regular when we have a full line-up. Him along with McLaren will help create an identity for the leafs which is hard, physical, fighting team. Something that has been missing since the start of the season.

Just so we are clear. The team was 7-3 without Orr+McLaren.

The team is 1-1 with both of them in the lineup. The notion that the team needs both of them in the lineup is a joke. McLaren fought Engelland at the end of the 1st in a very even game. Pittsburgh came out and dominated the Leafs for the entire second period. The fight did absolutely nothing.

One of them, sure, both is just a waste of roster space.

Take away the 5 fights in the opening Montreal game and the Leafs have fought 4 times in 11 games.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto

The team is 1-1 with both of them in the lineup. The notion that the team needs both of them in the lineup is a joke. McLaren fought Engelland at the end of the 1st in a very even game. Pittsburgh came out and dominated the Leafs for the entire second period. The fight did absolutely nothing.

Orr was playing with the leafs since the start of the season. Also, why don't we have both them? Last year we did fine with both of them and McClement in the middle. I don't see how having both of them helps our star player breath better knowing they have two fighters on the bench. It helps prevent Scott incident and more. People still don't see the value both fighters brings to the team.

yakfish

"Holy Mackinaw!"
Dec 21, 2012
Ohio
I agree that Orr and the 4th line in general have been better recently. Fewer penalties and more responsible play. Just not as physical as we are used to seeing.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010

Take away the 5 fights in the opening Montreal game and the Leafs have fought 4 times in 11 games.

The team made the playoffs for the first time in a decade with both of them in the lineup.

And I love the sample size you choose to use. 2 games.

By that logic Bolland>Crosby

ldnk

Apr 8, 2009
Orr was playing with the leafs since the start of the season. Also, why don't we have both them? Last year we did fine with both of them and McClement in the middle. I don't see how having both of them helps our star player breath better knowing they have two fighters on the bench. It helps prevent Scott incident and more. People still don't see the value both fighters brings to the team.

Ryan Garbutt is the resident idiot on Dallas. He was playing in the game where John Scott ran Eriksson.

Jared Boll was in the lineup when Patrick Kaleta ran around like an idiot.

Dumb hockey players are going to be dumb regardless of who is on the ice. The notion that guys who willingly go out and fight for a living are going to be afraid of being stupid because they might have to fight is just bad logic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad