Colton Orr

ldnk

Apr 8, 2009
The team made the playoffs for the first time in a decade with both of them in the lineup.

And I love the sample size you choose to use. 2 games.

By that logic Bolland>Crosby

Clearly McLaren and Orr were the reason the Leafs made the playoffs.

Here I was thinking it had more to do with Kessel being a PPG player, McLement turning around a garbage PK, JVR/Kadri/Lupul providing additional scoring.

Must have been those 3-6 minute efforts from McLaren/Orr.

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
Ryan Garbutt is the resident idiot on Dallas. He was playing in the game where John Scott ran Eriksson.

Jared Boll was in the lineup when Patrick Kaleta ran around like an idiot.

Dumb hockey players are going to be dumb regardless of who is on the ice. The notion that guys who willingly go out and fight for a living are going to be afraid of being stupid because they might have to fight is just bad logic.

You do realize that Eriksson is a Bruin now right? Yeesh. Hard to take someone seriously when they can't even get simple facts right.

Also, Boll isn't much of a "tough guy". Middleweight at best. Big difference between him and the Orr/McLaren/Thornton/Parros group.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Ryan Garbutt is the resident idiot on Dallas. He was playing in the game where John Scott ran Eriksson.

Jared Boll was in the lineup when Patrick Kaleta ran around like an idiot.

Dumb hockey players are going to be dumb regardless of who is on the ice. The notion that guys who willingly go out and fight for a living are going to be afraid of being stupid because they might have to fight is just bad logic.

Its called the intimidation factor. Having both of them insure that no player will cheap shot any of our star players without having to fight to Orr & McLaren. Wonder why no one fights Orr now? Because they know Orr is a great fighter. No one would want to mess with them unless they have their own heavyweight fighter. That is reason why barely any teams attempts to cheap shots our players.

ldnk

Apr 8, 2009
You do realize that Eriksson is a Bruin now right? Yeesh. Hard to take someone seriously when they can't even get simple facts right.

Also, Boll isn't much of a "tough guy". Middleweight at best. Big difference between him and the Orr/McLaren/Thornton/Parros group.

It was an editing error. Thanks for that. What I meant to imply was that resident idiot Garbutt charged regardless of who was on the ice.

Resident idiot Scott had no problem doing it on a tough Boston team.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Clearly McLaren and Orr were the reason the Leafs made the playoffs.

Here I was thinking it had more to do with Kessel being a PPG player, McLement turning around a garbage PK, JVR/Kadri/Lupul providing additional scoring.

Must have been those 3-6 minute efforts from McLaren/Orr.

Going back on your own argument.

First you say that after Mclaren is in the line up, we are 1-1.

When you argument gets disproved, then you say Mclaren has no effect on our win ratio.

Pick a side instead of just being bias against Mclaren.

SnazzyNazzy

Oct 20, 2012
Waterloo
After a couple games of having next to ZERO time on the offensive zone, even our skill lines, Carlyle sends out our 4th line vs the Penguins. They started the Leafs off by crashin and bangin around their zone and getting momentum. I just thought Ashton and Orr brought a lot of energy last night and kept the play in the Penguins' end most of the time they were out there, so kudos to them.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
After a couple games of having next to ZERO time on the offensive zone, even our skill lines, Carlyle sends out our 4th line vs the Penguins. They started the Leafs off by crashin and bangin around their zone and getting momentum. I just thought Ashton and Orr brought a lot of energy last night and kept the play in the Penguins' end most of the time they were out there, so kudos to them.

Agreed Ashton had his best game I thought and Orr played a very intelligent game as well.

ldnk

Apr 8, 2009
Going back on your own argument.

First you say that after Mclaren is in the line up, we are 1-1.

When you argument gets disproved, then you say Mclaren has no effect on our win ratio.

Pick a side instead of just being bias against Mclaren.

I'm not following you here. The Leafs have a better record without McLaren in the lineup.

Last year + this year they are: 15-7-1 without McLaren - 110 point pace

With McLaren they are 19-14-4 - 93 point pace

How dose that differ from what I am saying exactly. My argument is that the team doesn't need both of them. They in fact have a better record without both of them in the lineup. Somehow this proves that I am wrong and that I am changing my argument?

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
I am extremely impressed by Orr the last few games, he's actually been DECENT defensively and playing a hard physical game. He definitely has a place on this team, he was brutalizing Chara in the playoffs, that was definitely a contributing factor of why we survived so long in that series.. If he can do those kinds of things while staying decent defensively, he is very welcome on the team..

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I'm not following you here. The Leafs have a better record without McLaren in the lineup.

Last year + this year they are: 15-7-1 without McLaren - 110 point pace

With McLaren they are 19-14-4 - 93 point pace

How dose that differ from what I am saying exactly. My argument is that the team doesn't need both of them. They in fact have a better record without both of them in the lineup. Somehow this proves that I am wrong and that I am changing my argument?

It's hard to figure that someone who averages less than 8 minutes a game can make enough of an impact to dictate whether a team wins or loses. Now if you're talking about someone like Kulemin or even Jvr, then it's a reasonable argument. What you really have to do is judge him based on his limited icetime, not the team, as there are just too many variables.

Both McLaren and Orr have been good contributors this season so far. Especially Orr. Happy to see Frazer drop the mitts yesterday. I really missed seeing a fight.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
It's hard to figure that someone who averages less than 8 minutes a game can make enough of an impact to dictate whether a team wins or loses. Now if you're talking about someone like Kulemin or even Jvr, then it's a reasonable argument. What you really have to do is judge him based on his limited icetime, not the team, as there are just too many variables.

Both McLaren and Orr have been good contributors this season so far. Especially Orr. Happy to see Frazer drop the mitts yesterday. I really missed seeing a fight.

Not to mention there's a billion different things that could dictate a difference between the two records.. whether it be a Kessel hot-streak, Reimer hot-streak, JVR hot-streak or whatever, whole team just in a slump, Lupul in the lineup, or just general bad play..

There's a reason +/- isn't seen as a very accurate stat.

ldnk

Apr 8, 2009

And yet the McLaren/Orr presence is supposed to be viewed as this key to victory. The team does fine whether McLaren/Orr are in the lineup or not as evidenced by their record.

The Leafs missed the playoffs for 10 years because they had:
1) Bad goaltending
2) No scoring depth
3) A bad team defense
4) An incompetent PK (combo of bad defense and bad goaltending)

They now make the playoffs because:
1) They have good goaltending
2) Scoring depth
3) Better positional defense
4) A strong PK (good defense and good goaltending)

And that is the only reason.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Why isn't Orr fighting? There has to be a reason. He hasn't fought since game 1. Is Caryle asking him to focus on his game, 1st and foremost? Does he have a minor injury? 13 games without a fight, seems too long to be just by chance.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Why isn't Orr fighting? There has to be a reason. He hasn't fought since game 1. Is Caryle asking him to focus on his game, 1st and foremost? Does he have a minor injury? 13 games without a fight, seems too long to be just by chance.

Ya it makes no sense, seems very unlike Orr

Asif16*

Yeah im a little concerned. It also sucks that Orr barely talks to the media. Dude is very quiet off the ice.

Its not just the fights, but i havent seen the edgy side of him either. Dont see him trying to get under the skin of someone, no trashtalking or getting involved in scrums. Dude's just taking regular shifts like kessel.

Asif16*

On the good side, there's no denying that Orr has become a better hockey player. Doesnt take stupid penalties and gets into the forecheck. Has become a much better skater and even gets opportunities to score here and there.

Thats all good and all, but that doesnt mean he should stop the physicality side of things. Dude just seems uninterested in the physical part of the game.

at first i thought Carlyle was trying to change Orr into a Chris Neil type of player. But neil still has the edge to him.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
He is either injured, can't find a dance partner, or (this one is out there) promised himself that he wouldn't fight until Parros is back on the ice. If McLaren is injured for the Buffalo games you can be sure he'll be fighting Scott though

Asif16*

He is either injured, can't find a dance partner, or (this one is out there) promised himself that he wouldn't fight until Parros is back on the ice. If McLaren is injured for the Buffalo games you can be sure he'll be fighting Scott though

I highly doubt it. If anything, maybe after the parros incident, he got a little scared and is hesitant to fight knowing his concussion history??

Still doesnt seem like orr though.

GifKing*

Oct 24, 2013
sloth-yawn-cute.gif

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
I think it's just finding a dance partner. It looked like he was trying to go with Gazdic at the end but Gazdic didn't want it and the ref got in the way. In general most guys don't want to fight him unless they're a big heavyweight and because of injuries we haven't played with much grit so most games haven't gotten chippy thus no fights.

For all we know it could be Carlyle as well. With all the injuries Orr has been playing more of a 3rd line role and Carlyle clearly doesn't trust guys like Devane, Smith, Abbott, Bodie as they've been playing 5 minutes or less so maybe Carlyle just wants him to be on the ice more so he doesnt have to play them more.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Even if he can't find a dance partner, I would like to see some more edge and trash talking in his game.

If no one is going to go with him, at least take some runs at their players.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Even if he can't find a dance partner, I would like to see some more edge and trash talking in his game.

If no one is going to go with him, at least take some runs at their players.

He has.... many times.... not sure what you're watching

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
Let's All Just Admire this Video (Colton Orr)

I know this didn't happen too long ago, but my gosh, this has got to be one of the most awesome sequences I've ever seen. (other than the Fraser getting hurt part). :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad