Colton Orr

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
A lot depends on the style of play we are playing now, I think it's a mistake to think of Orr as prematurely obsolete, under Renney he played in key situations, under Wilson the last 2 seasons he was almost forgotten.

RC values toughness, character, and a slowed down game of dump and chase. Orr is more valuable under this new regime.

All the same, he will fill the bridge until Jamie Devane is ready, there will be a day when both Biggs and Devane are up with the big team, and you will see the difference what a couple of tough young tigers can have on the whole team. Dion will be tougher, the whole team will be tougher.

We will be instigating the pushing, rather than being the one's that are being pushed around. Big fundamental shift.

Blayzer

Jul 3, 2011
A lot depends on the style of play we are playing now, I think it's a mistake to think of Orr as prematurely obsolete, under Renney he played in key situations, under Wilson the last 2 seasons he was almost forgotten.

RC values toughness, character, and a slowed down game of dump and chase. Orr is more valuable under this new regime.

All the same, he will fill the bridge until Jamie Devane is ready, there will be a day when both Biggs and Devane are up with the big team, and you will see the difference what a couple of tough young tigers can have on the whole team. Dion will be tougher, the whole team will be tougher.

We will be instigating the pushing, rather than being the one's that are being pushed around. Big fundamental shift.

I honestly wish I could fast forward to that day. Finally we will have a team worth backing. Biggs, Devane with the likes of Ross and Broll. Will definately make things easier for the Kessel and Phaneuf's of the team.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
A player that can't keep up with the play is useless . Orr can't skate and he won't add anything to the team . Can people imagine how bad a line of Steckel , Orr and Brown would be .

This team needs grittier tougher players that can actually play , we have no use for a 3 min a night slug like Orr .

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I honestly wish I could fast forward to that day. Finally we will have a team worth backing. Biggs, Devane with the likes of Ross and Broll. Will definately make things easier for the Kessel and Phaneuf's of the team.

I may be in the vast minority here, but I have very high hopes for Jamie Devane. He was reportedly a key penalty killer for Plymouth the past 2 seasons and he was in a very good program that gets it thanks to Mike Vellucci.

Jamie can be a key piece for us in the not too distant future, I see a year of Marlies hockey for him and he will tell Eakins if he is ready. His skating looks fine to me, a 4th line physical player that can kill penalties and give this team an identity are invaluable. I'm looking fwd to the day when he makes his Leafs debut.

He's one of the players I am rooting for most in the organization.

hockeyfanz*

A player that can't keep up with the play is useless . Orr can't skate and he won't add anything to the team . Can people imagine how bad a line of Steckel , Orr and Brown would be .

This team needs grittier tougher players that can actually play , we have no use for a 3 min a night slug like Orr .

Every year fans argue the merits of a plug like Colton Orr, Jay Rosehill, Mike Brown, David Steckel etc...Its like arguing the merits of linoleum floors over ceramic when there is rain, sleet and snow pouring through the roof. I cant tell you how insignifcant these plugs are on a team as poorly constructed as the Leafs.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Every year fans argue the merits of a plug like Colton Orr, Jay Rosehill, Mike Brown, David Steckel etc...Its like arguing the merits of linoleum floors over ceramic when there is rain, sleet and snow pouring through the roof. I cant tell you how insignifcant these plugs are on a team as poorly constructed as the Leafs.

If you need your 4th line to score goals or prevent them to win games, The Leafs have bigger problems than worryng about the merits of Orr. He is an excellent 4th liner if given the chance to play rather than sitting on the end of the bench as he was under Wilson last year. He adds an identity to a team much more than others. For one, no Leaf will be taken advantaged of while he is dressed. Ie. Neil

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
If you need your 4th line to score goals or prevent them to win games, The Leafs have bigger problems than worryng about the merits of Orr. He is an excellent 4th liner if given the chance to play rather than sitting on the end of the bench as he was under Wilson last year. He adds an identity to a team much more than others. For one, no Leaf will be taken advantaged of while he is dressed. Ie. Neil

That's a myth, and I'm sure many Leafs have been taken advantage of when Orr was dressed. Orr doesn't get on the ice enough to make anyone worried, and if he does, only true heavyweights tend to fight him. And more often than not, those aren't the guys taking liberties.

hockeyfanz*

That's a myth, and I'm sure many Leafs have been taken advantage of when Orr was dressed. Orr doesn't get on the ice enough to make anyone worried, and if he does, only true heavyweights tend to fight him. And more often than not, those aren't the guys taking liberties.

This is so true. Maybe the NHL could start awarding points for broken noses distributed by the teams' heavyweights. Then the Leafs will make the playoffs.

ForSpareParts*

i somewhat agree with this, but this also challenges the validity of Mike Brown. he's a guy who supposedly takes a regular shift, but has no affect on those taking liberties. if Brown is going to get you 2 goals and 2 assists in 50 games but not do much about the PK or Rats - why have him?

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
The "clean" heavyweight doesn't really serve a point anymore unless you happen to take a run at somebody while they're on the ice. If you elbow Kessel in the head while Orr is on the ice, yeah, he's probably going to jump you.

If anytime in the game passes, Orr's window is gone and he can't really do anything about it cause anybody worth going after will just reject and skate away and he can't do much about it.

I don't advocate it in anyway but if you wanted to put legitimate worry into the other team, you need to have somebody...well...dirty.

hockeyfanz*

The "clean" heavyweight doesn't really serve a point anymore unless you happen to take a run at somebody while they're on the ice. If you elbow Kessel in the head while Orr is on the ice, yeah, he's probably going to jump you.

If anytime in the game passes, Orr's window is gone and he can't really do anything about it cause anybody worth going after will just reject and skate away and he can't do much about it.

I don't advocate it in anyway but if you wanted to put legitimate worry into the other team, you need to have somebody...well...dirty.

When would Colton Orr ever be on the ice with Phil Kessel? Probably doesn't even happen in practice. The tortoise and the roadrunner....lol.

ForSpareParts*

this is why we need a Tucker, Thomas, Wendel, etc. i wish fans weren't so attached to Lupul. if we traded Lupul we could probably get a 40-50 point forward who can play on the top line and provide jam.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
i somewhat agree with this, but this also challenges the validity of Mike Brown. he's a guy who supposedly takes a regular shift, but has no affect on those taking liberties. if Brown is going to get you 2 goals and 2 assists in 50 games but not do much about the PK or Rats - why have him?

I tend to agree. I think a good NHL team would not have room for Mike Brown on the roster.... we are not a good team unfortunately. That said, I think if all goes well, by the time hockey starts again, our best 12 forwards should not include him, which is not to say he can't or won't still play a good 70 games because 1-2 of the top-12 forwards will always be injured, that's just the way it goes.

Absolutely right.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006

That's how Tie Domi and Darcy Tucker got their love/money in Leafland when there were clearly better ways to fill their slots on the roster.

Badger Mayhew*

this is why we need a Tucker, Thomas, Wendel, etc. i wish fans weren't so attached to Lupul. if we traded Lupul we could probably get a 40-50 point forward who can play on the top line and provide jam.

Somebody like T.J. Oshie or Tuomo Ruutu would be good there, but I doubt either is available.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
That's how Tie Domi and Darcy Tucker got their love/money in Leafland when there were clearly better ways to fill their slots on the roster.

At the time of the signing, Tucker was worth that money. His body broke down but he was an elite agitator who could score 25 goals a year.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
At the time of the signing, Tucker was worth that money. His body broke down but he was an elite agitator who could score 25 goals a year.

agree.

although, the team should have been looking forward instead of clinging to the past. Hopefully even people who weren't part of tank nation back then, can finally accept that.

hockeyfanz*

agree.

although, the team should have been looking forward instead of clinging to the past. Hopefully even people who weren't part of tank nation back then, can finally accept that.

Tucker was great in his prime but yes when he signed that "buyout" contract he was done. The Leafs could sure use a Tucker type player on the current roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad