Colton Orr

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
His hockey play isn't good enough. I would much rather play one of our prospects who can fight but still have offensive potential than Orr if that is the route we are going.

Oct 18, 2010
A lot of people liked the way he played/worked on his game in the AHL. I think he'll get his chance especially with how soft the Leafs were last year.

zoA

Mar 23, 2010
Orr was pretty good with the Marlies. If he can work on his skating and refocus his actual play (he was pretty useful in his first year here), I'd much rather have him than Rosehill. I'd be happy to have him as the 13th.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Unless we make an addition, this is still a very soft team. I'm not sure Rosie is coming back so Orr is still under contract, why not have him there for insurance, not sure if he is any different than Parros. One more year with Devane honing his skill in the minors perhaps. Carlyle is his ace in the hole.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Orr was pretty good with the Marlies. If he can work on his skating and refocus his actual play (he was pretty useful in his first year here), I'd much rather have him than Rosehill. I'd be happy to have him as the 13th.

This. I thought I was the only one that liked Orr here. He didn't exactly bring offense to the table, but he was no liability defensively. Wouldn't be surprised if he's here on the 4th line or as a 13th forward next year.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
This. I thought I was the only one that liked Orr here. He didn't exactly bring offense to the table, but he was no liability defensively. Wouldn't be surprised if he's here on the 4th line or as a 13th forward next year.

I disagree. In years past when his line got caught out on the ice against skilled guys, they were hemmed in their zone.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Orr is freaking useless and always has been . His 4 mins a night will never be missed . If Burke wants an enforcer he has to find a Thornton type who can at least play bottom line minutes .

LeafDangler

Apr 25, 2006
Colton Orr is a terrible hockey player. Sure he's likable and doesn't back down from a scrap but we were a 25th place hockey team last year. Getting as many good hockey players in the lineup as possible should be the priority.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Colton Orr is a terrible hockey player. Sure he's likable and doesn't back down from a scrap but we were a 25th place hockey team last year. Getting as many good hockey players in the lineup as possible should be the priority.

If you have a stacked team, then maybe you can have a spot for a Colton Orr type. If not, then you need as many players that can play as possible.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The only thing I will say in Orr's defence the last 2 seasons, was he was totally marginalized by Ron Wilson and never had a chance to be part of the team, he was placed in a very difficult position of not making any mistakes and was not used properly in very limited mins. No one could succeed under these conditions.

This is strange since he had a very good first year under Wilson, when he actually used him a lot. Remember the season before when Luke Schenn was the team's toughest player where he was the kid that defended guys 10 years older. Just an embaressement to have to rely on a 18 kid do this.

Orr brought in instant respectability the following season, no one stepped on a Leafs jersey while he was in the line up, his knock outs of Carkner 3x and a broken Lucic nose are testaments of this. He had a very good initial season for the Leafs when he was used correctly. I also recall a game where Green was snooping around the Leafs net looking to run up the score, Orr flattened him. This is what he brings to a Leafs team, doesn't take losing well. To me we could use many more guys that display this trait. Will always thank him for this, not letting the Leafs jersey be trampled on.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Orr's not capable at playing hockey at an NHL level the only reason he will ever be back in the NHL is if someone is looking for a fighter

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
What about the intangibles.

I used to box for years and know for a fact I can intimidate a Kessel ,a Kadri or Kulemin.But would I play monkey business with Orr maybe coming out soon to dance.No!How did we play once Orr got sent down,what was that record again?

G51 K81*

If it was up to HF board to create our starting line up we would have a 1 dimensional group up front with 12 offensive forwards. Look at all the top teams in the east, they all had enforcers during the 82 game season. The only time a enforcer is not needed is playing another soft team in the playoffs.

Last season :

NYR - Bickel, Rupp
Boston - Thornton, Macdermid
Florida - Barch
Flyers - Shelley, Sestito
Penguins - Engelland, Mac
NJ - Janssens, Boulton
Ottawa - Carkner, Neil, Konopka, Smith

The evidence that enforcers are useful in a 82 game season is obvious. But there all always those oblivious people that debate knowing they are wrong.

Orr starts next season.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I used to box for years and know for a fact I can intimidate a Kessel ,a Kadri or Kulemin.But would I play monkey business with Orr maybe coming out soon to dance.No!How did we play once Orr got sent down,what was that record again?

Eakins saw fit to start Orr 8 games in the AHL playoffs even when he was not eligible, guys that played hockey know the intangibles a player like this brings, it's not all about looking good out there doing figure 8's while going nowhere in the neutral zone.

Orr may or may not be done, but he is a good influence on a young player:

Even more of a probable motivation for Kadri was to respond to the good-natured ribbing he'd taken from Marlies teammate Colton Orr earlier in the day after choosing not to go on the ice for an optional morning skate after not being on the ice the day before as the club travelled to British Columbia for Game 3 of their AHL best-of-seven series against the Heat.

"You better be good tonight," chided Orr, currently ineligible to play in the AHL playoffs because of roster limits but a strong veteran presence in the dressing room for head coach Dallas Eakins anyway.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
If it was up to HF board to create our starting line up we would have a 1 dimensional group up front with 12 offensive forwards. Look at all the top teams in the east, they all had enforcers during the 82 game season. The only time a enforcer is not needed is playing another soft team in the playoffs.

Last season :

NYR - Bickel, Rupp
Boston - Thornton, Macdermid
Florida - Barch
Flyers - Shelley, Sestito
Penguins - Engelland, Mac
NJ - Janssens, Boulton
Ottawa - Carkner, Neil, Konopka, Smith

The evidence that enforcers are useful in a 82 game season is obvious. But there all always those oblivious people that debate knowing they are wrong.

Orr starts next season.

if there was no fighting period in hockey most of those guys you listed would still be capable at playing at an NHL level Orr can't. all he's got is fighting.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Orr is kinda useless unless someone is willing to fight him, Leafs need a guy like Chris Neil not only can he fight and stick up for his teammates but can pot in like 10-13 goals a year

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
According to people who saw Broll play at the rookie game. Do you think he has a chance of sneaking into the line up ? at 6'2", and 230 pounds his body is definitely big enough for the nhl level. His skills could probably use more developing, but he ACTUALLY has stick skills, and fights in the corners and uses his size effectively. I am sure the Broll-dozer will be tearing it up in the A or O, but who knows if he has a good summer training and in camp !

Komarov/Broll - Stekel - Brown is my guess.

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
You guys who say Colton Orr is useless and takes up a roster spot and blah blah blah, and are fine watching Luke Schenn as an 18 year old fight seasoned bigger vets in the league because no one else on our team would stand up. Don't deserve to have an opinion on this matter, go back to ice capades or baseball..

CG14

Aug 15, 2010
Halifax
All for bringing Orr back up. Looking forward to watching a team that doesn't get pushed around constantly like last year (pending roster moves)

SnipeCheeseAllDay

Jan 16, 2007
Toronto
Brown - Steckel - Orr

When Orr got sent down, our team got pushed around and teams were picking on our best players knowing we had a soft team. The only guys standing up for our players were Phaneuf, Brown and Komisarek... and none of them come close to Orr in terms of fighting/toughness.

Sure he's not the best NHL player, but it's not like we are putting 4 enforcers out there. One on the 4th line is fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad