GDT: Colorado vs Tampa Sunday 19th February 6 PM MST/8 PM EST || Where's Joe Colborne?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I'm very confused by some of these Duchene > MacK comments. Seems very convenient. I mean, that was Duchene's first goal in 13 games, after all.

They go on stretches at different times. I think it's glaringly obvious the difference in the two is not big. Despite the fact that many claimed Mack was a franchise player and will be a top 5 in the NHL.

Mack has been at his best on the wing, maybe they should go back to that?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
They go on stretches at different times. I think it's glaringly obvious the difference in the two is not big. Despite the fact that many claimed Mack was a franchise player and will be a top 5 in the NHL.

Mack has been at his best on the wing, maybe they should go back to that?

I think so too. The experiment with him as the 1C has gone on long enough. Maybe take that pressure off him, let him go back to wing and see if that jump starts his game. He's in a rut out there. I think his effort is there, but he's too stuck in his ways and needs a fresh perspective.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I fundamentally disagree with the notion that MacKinnon was best on the wing. The MacKinnon of today is better than the MacKinnon in his rookie season, in my view. There is a very large difference between running around on the wing with zero defensive responsibilities, poor defensive play, and having Stastny distribute you the puck with Landeskog on the other wing, against a league that has yet to figure out how to handle your speed, vs. playing centre, being passable defensively, being the go-to guy on your line, and playing against opponents that are well prepared and bring out their best to shut you down. I entirely disagree with the idea that MacKinnon is worse or only equal to the player that he was in his rookie year. I firmly believe he is better, and I hope we never see him on the wing again.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I fundamentally disagree with the notion that MacKinnon was best on the wing. The MacKinnon of today is better than the MacKinnon in his rookie season, in my view. There is a very large difference between running around on the wing with zero defensive responsibilities, poor defensive play, and having Stastny distribute you the puck with Landeskog on the other wing, against a league that has yet to figure out how to handle your speed, vs. playing centre, being passable defensively, being the go-to guy on your line, and playing against opponents that are well prepared and bring out their best to shut you down. I entirely disagree with the idea that MacKinnon is worse or only equal to the player that he was in his rookie year. I firmly believe he is better, and I hope we never see him on the wing again.

Wherever MacKinnon plays matters not so long as it helps the team win. If that's at wing then fine. If that's at center then fine. Whatever works.

Avalanche

Mar 18, 2011
Cornwall
TSN spent more time showing the kid mushing his face on the glass than the actual game.

20 seconds on the kid. 10 seconds on Drouin's goal.

:laugh:

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
Great effort from Drouin but let's not forget that the Avs had Tyutin, Nieto and Comeau out there. It's like they were trying to lose.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Hey, it's a valid point though :laugh:

You won't get an argument from me...if the avs listened to me my username would be D2D::P:D

Jokes aside lol, I wouldn't have taken Drouin. I would have taken Jones, and if not Jones it would have been Barkov.

However after taking MacKinnon, and Drouin becoming available I would have ripped Mr. Y's arm off to get him. Whatever the piece was that the deal fell through over at that deadline I would have given up.

When the Avs invested their future in MacKinnon I would have went all in on getting him that winger that could help take his game to the next level. They failed to get that player for Duchene, and then the last and youngest one he worked with ended up traded.

MacK is like a horse with no rider right now, and while Mikko is good, and still may yet help MacK, hes got his own game to figure out. That and MacK does not play off of his RW the same way he does his left side.

IMO the next thing we have coming who could really boost MacKinnon's game is Jost. Jost has the IQ to make use of MacK's power and speed combination, and is strong at LW.

The problem is that if Duchene is traded away, and we don't end up with a center out of this draft, Jost is the next best thing for the #2 role. Compher of course having an outside shot.

We'll see how things shake out, and I don't hate MacKinnon, and I can find reasons to be positive about him, but I can't help myself from taking some shots at him at times.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
In about twelve years a kid in Denver's going to bring a girl home for the first time. He was nervous about asking her out, he was nervous when they went to see Iron-Man 7: Iron Harder in case she didn't like it, he's nervous about her meeting his parents. What if they... no, they know how much it bothers him.

Anyway, they meet and he's relived as it's all going well. Mother keeps saying what a nice girl she is, and dad took him aside and furtively said 'well done son.' The evening was going better than this kid have hoped for until, after dinner, his stomach drops to the floor. "When Jimmy was a boy he liked this hockey team. You know the Yukon Roadrunners? They used to play right here in Colorado, until they lost two hundred games in a row and they moved because there was a bigger audience for them in the tundra. Well this one time he was at a game and he was on TV! Look how cute he was."

Little Jimmy moves out shortly after. His parents never hear from him again. When he's on his deathbed he allows himself a bitter grin that he got closer to the play in an NHL game than Mikhail Grigorenko ever did.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Was Zadorov benched last night?

He has been heading in the wrong direction. Bad things happen when he refuses to move his feet and there has been a lot of that. What makes it more frustrating is that it comes after some of his best games of the season.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
He has been heading in the wrong direction. Bad things happen when he refuses to move his feet and there has been a lot of that. What makes it more frustrating is that it comes after some of his best games of the season.

Yah that inconsistency is just something we going have to live with with these young dman. Doesn't look like he be moving his feet much now doe. Apparently injured in practice. Wonderful.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I wouldn't take Drouin over Mackinnon.

I can make an argument for either, but that's with the knowledge I currently have.

At the draft it would have been; Jones, Barkov, MacKinnon, Drouin for me. But I'm not BPA at all costs, and I'm not even remotely saying I was 100% Barkov over MacK.

Today who would I take?

Jones, Barkov, MacKinnon, Drouin... In the end I can't get over the C versus Winger valuation. I think MacK is still more important to a team overall. Even if MacK ends up a RW, I still feel like the power aspect of his game works better in the west.

It's really close between the two though. We really need to find an intelligent LW for MacK.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Hasn't been moving his feet for a bit now. And that hinders his physical play too. Been a real bad stretch for him lately

I wouldn't take Drouin over Mackinnon.

I would. Honestly, if I'm doing a re-draft for 2013 I'm going:

1) Jones
2) Ristolainen
3) Barkov
4) Drouin
5) MacKinnon

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Hasn't been moving his feet for a bit now. And that hinders his physical play too. Been a real bad stretch for him lately

Yup. During the Sabres game the NBC announcers mentioned that Bednar said his play slipped and he needs to get back to doing what he was doing before. That clearly didn't happen so I guess they felt he had to sit in the 3rd period last night.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Maybe Z's game had dipped a bit but last night was his first negative possession game in a long time, and it was only by one shot. He's been pretty consistently above 50% for a good while now, with tough minutes too. The Avs were better with him on the ice than off.

Comeau had one of those games last night where you just want to punch him right in his rat face.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad