Proposal: Colorado - Philadelphia

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Yeah some are getting really trigger happy on our boards. I wouldn't make any moves for rentals or veterans, just stay the course and make improvements in the summer. If anything we should be selling, as long as the losing continues, but the issue there is that there is almost nothing to sell.

I'm half expecting Nemeth to get traded for a 2nd (maybe 2nd + b prospect), which makes space on the active roster for Makar, but beyond that, I agree with you about staying the course and making improvements this summer (even if that's just using all of our draft picks and letting our youngsters continue to develop). There's no reason to make desperate moves, when we already seem to be heading in the right direction.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I'm half expecting Nemeth to get traded for a 2nd (maybe 2nd + b prospect), which makes space on the active roster for Makar, but beyond that, I agree with you about staying the course and making improvements this summer (even if that's just using all of our draft picks and letting our youngsters continue to develop). There's no reason to make desperate moves, when we already seem to be heading in the right direction.
Is Nemeth that good? Admittedly, I don’t know much about him. 2nd is a real good return for some Dmen.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
This is not the return, but much to my dismay Colorado has been linked to Simmonds. It's not that I don't like the player right now, but I don't want to give up the assets for a rental, and I don't want to be the team that gives Simmonds a 5-6 year deal. Now I don't think hes going to be trash like Neal, Ladd, etc the very next year, but yeah every year after you're rolling the dice IMO.

Simmonds could actually break that mold, but there is just too many other examples of giving a pwF a contract at 30 f***ing teams.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Is Nemeth that good? Admittedly, I don’t know much about him. 2nd is a real good return for some Dmen.

He's a 26 year old big (6'3", 220 lbs) D who PKs, blocks shots, and had 15 points last season in 68 games. I think there are at least a couple of playoff teams that would give up a 2nd to get him on their bottom pairing for a playoff push.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Not Ottawa’s pick, their own non-lottery one. They are making the playoffs, aren’t they?
Yeah, they’ve won three out of their last 18 games, they’ll sooner make the top 10 at draft lottery than playoffs with goalies stopping 8 out of 10 pucks they see.

Reactions: Larry44

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Not Ottawa’s pick, their own non-lottery one. They are making the playoffs, aren’t they?

There are 3 teams that are currently not in the playoffs who are within 1 point of the Avs, and the Avs have the worst Last-10 record of any team in the league right now. They might make the playoffs, but there are no guarantees.

Reactions: Larry44

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Dont want anything to do with Simmonds. 2 Years ago he would have been a good fit but his game is falling off and I dont want to be the team that gives him his next contract.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
He's a 26 year old big (6'3", 220 lbs) D who PKs, blocks shots, and had 15 points last season in 68 games. I think there are at least a couple of playoff teams that would give up a 2nd to get him on their bottom pairing for a playoff push.
I mean... Andrew MacDonal PKs, blocks shots, and has a decent amount of points in his last whatever games, but he’s literally awful.

Not trying to degrade Nemeth, but a good scouting report from watching him yourself would be good!

Eric Robson

Jan 5, 2018
Have the Ave fans just given up Jost? I thought he is still one of the best prospects. And to trade him for a possible rental seems like a Forsberg for Erat all over again

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Have the Ave fans just given up Jost? I thought he is still one of the best prospects. And to trade him for a possible rental seems like a Forsberg for Erat all over again
He's nowhere near the level of Filip Forsberg. He's had a very poor season and flat out isn't NHL ready, hence why he was just sent down to the AHL.

As for the original trade proposal, that's laughable. Easy, easy no from the Avs. If the Avs made the playoffs it'd be Jost + Wilson + 1st for Wayne freaking Simmonds? A guy on pace for 38 points in a season where scoring has increased?

Easy pass.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I mean... Andrew MacDonal PKs, blocks shots, and has a decent amount of points in his last whatever games, but he’s literally awful.

Not trying to degrade Nemeth, but a good scouting report from watching him yourself would be good!

Sorry, I'm not willing to waste that much of my time providing detailed information to someone who is now complaining about the simple answer I already provided. If you want to think Nemeth is comparable to MacDonald, I don't really care.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Sorry, I'm not willing to waste that much of my time providing detailed information to someone who is now complaining about the simple answer I already provided. If you want to think Nemeth is comparable to MacDonald, I don't really care.
Hmmm. The bitchiness of your attitude is uncanny, but that may be because you’re on a computer.

Was asking because I don’t know a whole lot about the player. Wasn’t complaining, but I am sorry to offend you.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Hmmm. The *****iness of your attitude is uncanny, but that may be because you’re on a computer.

Was asking because I don’t know a whole lot about the player. Wasn’t complaining, but I am sorry to offend you.

I answered your question with an accurate (if brief) description about what Nemeth brings to the team only for your response to be "well, Andy MacDonald does that too, and he sucks". So, maybe the tone of my response was a reflection of the attitude I got in your response.

Nemeth is a bottom pairing defensive defenseman who can fill in adequately on the 2nd pairing if you have a good #3 like we do in Barrie (I'd call him a 4-6 kind of D). Blocking shots (top 5 in the NHL last year) and PKing (2nd among Avs D in PK TOI last year on the 4th best PK in the NHL) are about the only things he does really well, but there aren't any gaping holes in his game either. His offensive game isn't great (I'd be surprised if he ever surpasses 20 points in a season), but he's reliable enough with the puck that he's not a liability. First pass is OK most of the time, skating is good enough, and he'll play the body when it's the smart play, but he's not going to try to lay any really big hits either. I might go so far as to call him a poor man's version of Hjalmarsson. Similar type of game, just not quite that good.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I answered your question with an accurate (if brief) description about what Nemeth brings to the team only for your response to be "well, Andy MacDonald does that too, and he sucks". So, maybe the tone of my response was a reflection of the attitude I got in your response.

Nemeth is a bottom pairing defensive defenseman who can fill in adequately on the 2nd pairing if you have a good #3 like we do in Barrie (I'd call him a 4-6 kind of D). Blocking shots (top 5 in the NHL last year) and PKing (2nd among Avs D in PK TOI last year on the 4th best PK in the NHL) are about the only things he does really well, but there aren't any gaping holes in his game either. His offensive game isn't great (I'd be surprised if he ever surpasses 20 points in a season), but he's reliable enough with the puck that he's not a liability. First pass is OK most of the time, skating is good enough, and he'll play the body when it's the smart play, but he's not going to try to lay any really big hits either. I might go so far as to call him a poor man's version of Hjalmarsson. Similar type of game, just not quite that good.
Awesome response! Thank you for the detailed report.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Lack of depth is from over expansion. There’s what a half dozen teams with good roster. Parity just means 25+ teams suck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad