Proposal: Colorado & Ottawa

Status
Not open for further replies.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Karlsson is priceless. As are Crosby and McDavid. You don't trade something that franchises can go decades without.

Sens are more likely to makes those upgrades than ever get another Karlsson.

[Insert Gretzky traded twice argument here]

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
I would like to hate on Avs fans but the never ending garbage that is proposed for Stastny, ROR, Duchene, Barrie and now Langdeskog?

Ryan is the oldest player in the deal and Ottawa isn't even happy with Chabot. Avs decline...

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
[Insert Gretzky traded twice argument here]

Exactly. Look at history to prove trading players of Karlssons calibre will only lead to regret. (Not claiming Karlsson is Gretzky calibre.)

I would like to hate on Avs fans but the never ending garbage that is proposed for Stastny, ROR, Duchene, Barrie and now Langdeskog?

Ryan is the oldest player in the deal and Ottawa isn't even happy with Chabot. Avs decline...

Good job misunderstanding that one comment about Chabot. Chabot was a player they wouldn't include for Drouin.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Colorado

Gabriel Landeskog
Tyson Barrie

Ottawa

Bobby Ryan
Thomas Chabot

Obviously a terrible OP... but let's work on this a little:

First offer would need to start with Ceci (RFA) for Barrie (RFA). We can argue all day about who adds what, but ultimately if Barrie is too expensive for Colorado to re-sign, they can make up for their bridging deal mistake with Barrie and sign Ceci to a longer more palatable deal. In this scenario both teams obviously get the opportunity to talk to the players in question to negotiate $$.

Now, for a budget team like Ottawa it would make no sense to trade away a player who is prepared to sign a more manageable contract (especially a local kid) for one who has big $$ demands, but let's say they want to do that because they prefer Phaneuf-Karlsson as their top pairing (Methot and Ceci don't gel well together) and they pull the trigger ...

Ceci for Barrie IMO is fair value... but argue away on that one.

OK ...now I reckon Colorado are about as willing to trade away Landeskog as Ottawa are willing to ship out Ceci, but let's say in this fantasy world that they want to dangle him to the trade market because they want to save some more money. I would guess that the 3 players who can at least start the conversation are Stone, Hoffman and Zibanejad. I don't believe they are going to save any money with Stone (RFA after 2017) so it leaves the other two guys... who are both eligible to sign extensions. This works in our fantasy scenario again, because it means Colorado could negotiate before the trade.

Now, what exactly is the market value for a 23 year old 4 time 20 goal scorer who has been the captain of his team for 3 years? Well - it's not going to be cheap. I would think that either of the following packages would be "reasonable".

Package 1: Hoffman, Lazar, 1st round pick
Package 2: Zibanejad, Perron, 1st round pick (+ cheap roster player as small $$ dump)

Not saying Colorado accepts either of these, but these are about as good a package as Ottawa could assemble without gutting the team.

So ... back to our original proposal. If these two teams really decided to look at trading these players, I believe the best possible offer Ottawa could make would be ..

Hoffman, Lazar, Ceci, 1st

or

Zibanejad, Perron, Ceci, 1st, Borowiecki.

This of course makes a whole bunch of assumptions, including that they can't get a better deal elsewhere... and that this would need to be financially motivated from Colorado's end ... since neither package gives them a necessarily "better" team.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Barrie's career high in points is more than double Ceci's, and he's 24, Ceci is 22. You basically pray Ceci becomes Barrie. How is their value now equal?

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN

It's nice to see at least one outsider who sees and understands our plight.

What I don't get is how it's nearly always a Canadian team that is dragging the Avalanche through the coals.

I figured out, not too long ago, a compelling theory on why this is the case. No Canadian team has won the Stanley Cup since the Habs in 93 and yet Colorado has won it twice since then. So many think that we've stolen the only stanley cups that Canada would have had since then. And thus the hockey Gods have compelled various unscrupulous types to degenerate themselves with troll trade proposals. I personally feel like it will most likely carry on until the next cup is hoisted in Canada and probably won't stop completely even then. And who are we kidding, the Avs will probably win another cup before any Canadian team does so perhaps it will all be worth it

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Far too slanted in our favor ,doesnt really help either team .Ottawa is decent on the left side and the right side of our blueline is very good .AVS,are thin after Lando on the left ,and need defensemen far more than wingers

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Barrie's career high in points is more than double Ceci's, and he's 24, Ceci is 22. You basically pray Ceci becomes Barrie. How is their value now equal?

We dont look for offence from Ceci, we have EK for that...

Regardless, the OP trade offer was horrendous.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It's nice to see at least one outsider who sees and understands our plight.

What I don't get is how it's nearly always a Canadian team that is dragging the Avalanche through the coals.

I figured out, not too long ago, a compelling theory on why this is the case. No Canadian team has won the Stanley Cup since the Habs in 93 and yet Colorado has won it twice since then. So many think that we've stolen the only stanley cups that Canada would have had since then. And thus the hockey Gods have compelled various unscrupulous types to degenerate themselves with troll trade proposals. I personally feel like it will most likely carry on until the next cup is hoisted in Canada and probably won't stop completely even then. And who are we kidding, the Avs will probably win another cup before any Canadian team does so perhaps it will all be worth it

Hey......it was NOT a Sens fan that made this proposal.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Yeah Colorado is so easily not doing this, This would be an easy pass from Sakic. Colorado is giving up far to much and Ottawa Ryan and a LD prospect in Chabot yeah this is a big fat no from Colorado.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Not only is the OP beyond ridiculous, but the pissing contest between Avs and Sens fans is possibly even worse.

Just close the thread. The OP is an embarrassment to hockey and the next 2.5 pages make me wish I was blind.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

I decided long ago, never to walk in anyone's shadows.

If I fail, if I succeed. At least I'll live as I believe.

No matter what they take from me. They can't take away my dignity.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
So ok:

MacKinnon, Stone, Duchene, Landeskog, Hoffman, Turris, Zibanejad

Johnson, Ceci, Phaneuf

Varlamov

Or

Turris, Stone, Hoffman, Macarthur, Zibanejad, Ryan, Pageau

Karlsson, Ceci, Phaneuf

Anderson

Do you really think the top one makes for a better team? I don't.

And I thought our homers were bad :laugh:

I'm even a big fan of EK...he'd win the Norris most seasons, if I was in charge, alongside regular Hart trophies...but jeebus man, this isn't the NBA. No one player has that much of an impact, not even EK.

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I would like to subscribe to OP's newsletter, and pledge to his fundraiser, because I fully support everything he's suggesting in his proposal.

I volunteer to canvass for the cause, but I'm only available on Tuesday, Thursday nights, and alternating Sundays, so someone else will need to fill the gaps for the rest of the weeks.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
And I thought our homers were bad :laugh:

I'm even a big fan of EK...he'd win the Norris most seasons, if I was in charge, alongside regular Hart trophies...but jeebus man, this isn't the NBA. No one player has that much of an impact, not even EK.

Macarthur - 36
Ryan - 56
Pageau - 43

vs

MacKinnon - 52
Duchene - 59
Landeskog - 53

135 points versus 164 points, difference of 29.

Karlsson - 82
Johnson - 27

82 versus 27 points, difference of 55 points

Sens would lose 26 points by making this trade. That's very significant. And they would add $4M in salary. That's very significant.

Not to mention this is just the numbers of it, I originally was basing my argument on the eye-test, but just brought this up because of the notion that I am some type of homer.

Karlsson is better than the Avalanche because of the expansion draft. Period.

They don't have enough high-end talent.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
You're not making yourself look any better there.

Why are you still trying to argue there he has a Karlsson avatar picture, you won't win there mate :laugh:

What our team would be if we traded our entire roster(Duchene, MacKinnon, Landeskog, EJ) for Karlsson ? Probably Johnny Malkin centering first line with Cody Mcleod on the left and Blake Comeau on the right lmao

To get back to the OP proposal that's beyond horrible let's stop the fight between our fan bases for one bad proposal :D

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Why are you still trying to argue there he has a Karlsson avatar picture, you won't win there mate :laugh:

What our team would be if we traded our entire roster(Duchene, MacKinnon, Landeskog, EJ) for Karlsson ? Probably Johnny Malkin centering first line with Cody Mcleod on the left and Blake Comeau on the right lmao

To get back to the OP proposal that's beyond horrible let's stop the fight between our fan bases for one bad proposal :D

Colorado would definitely be worse if they gave all that up for Karlsson; that isn't what's being discussed.

You can't just add 4 quality players to Ottawa's roster and remove 1 superstar in an expansion year. It just doesn't make sense.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Just cause someone recognize that EK is awesome, doesn't mean they have to be irrational. Dude's a great player, even if he's not quite as great as this poster seems to think he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad