Proposal: Colorado - New Jersey

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
That's all we're getting? I know Coleman is good and hard to pry out, but he has 2 years left and Vatanen is a UFA.

Rather send the 1st + Kamenev to Ottawa for JGP and keep Zadorov/Ranta.

This was my thought as well. Seems like a lot to give up for a 28 year old 3rd liner and a rental we don't really need.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I really really don’t want to give up Coleman but that package you have to say yes to .
No way Col does that .
Deviks are going to suck for awhile and need Coleman to show the kids how to play and compete .
The guy has no quit , gives 100% no matter what 100% of the time .
Devils need all the assets they can get but Coleman is the last player they should trade (besides obvious Hughes Nico Smith Blackwood)

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
We can talk Vatanen if you’d like, but I don’t want to trade Coleman.
Sure but I mean you’re talking a conditional 2nd most likely.

I’ve seen plenty of posts where NJ fans have been hoping to gain more 1st rounders and I’ve also seen some fans show interest in Zadorov which is why I decided to put everything together in one.

Coleman would be the priority here for Colorado. Vatanen is just some added playoff boost.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Vatanen doesn't fill a need for the Avs and Zadorov does.
Zadorov isn’t going to play that shutdown role for the Avs anymore though. I get the love for him I really do. When put in a specific shutdown role he’s fantastic but he just isn’t going to get that kind of opportunity. He’s going to continue to play with Cole and unfortunately that third pairing will continuously be trapped in their own end. Vatanen can at least play third pairing with Cole and retrieve some pucks and push the play up ice.

I love the positives that Nikita Zadorov brings. Some team will get to take full advantage of that with him on their roster. But right now he’s wasted in a different role with Colorado and based on the talent they have there I understand why.

ADD-devil950003

Dec 6, 2006
NY

I’ve seen plenty of posts where NJ fans have been hoping to gain more 1st rounders and I’ve also seen some fans show interest in Zadorov which is why I decided to put everything together in one.

Coleman would be the priority here for Colorado. Vatanen is just some added playoff boost.

Sorry but that’s a Joke. Vats can at least return a late round second easily, not that conditional crap. Also, Coleman should not be traded for anything less than a ridiculous overpayment. Yea he is 28 but some guys are late bloomers and Blake has been an elite Pk’er who can put up 20+ goals. No reason to trade him and give a team a second line winger who can play in all situations with a dirt cheap contract. The Devils suck yes, but it that doesn’t mean every player can be had for fricken peanuts.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Zadorov isn’t going to play that shutdown role for the Avs anymore though. I get the love for him I really do. When put in a specific shutdown role he’s fantastic but he just isn’t going to get that kind of opportunity. He’s going to continue to play with Cole and unfortunately that third pairing will continuously be trapped in their own end. Vatanen can at least play third pairing with Cole and retrieve some pucks and push the play up ice.

I love the positives that Nikita Zadorov brings. Some team will get to take full advantage of that with him on their roster. But right now he’s wasted in a different role with Colorado and based on the talent they have there I understand why.
So who takes that shutdown role for these playoffs if Z is gone? Cole? Girard? Johnson? Graves? There's no internal replacement, and Vatanen isn't being acquired for that role.

Reactions: sethro109

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
This was my thought as well. Seems like a lot to give up for a 28 year old 3rd liner and a rental we don't really need.
That's fine bc I want him to stay in Jersey, but go look up what Coleman's been doin. There a year apart in age, Coleman's signed cheap for another year. But like I said I want him to stay, you guys can chase JGP

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Sorry but that’s a Joke. Vats can at least return a late round second easily, not that conditional crap. Also, Coleman should not be traded for anything less than a ridiculous overpayment. Yea he is 28 but some guys are late bloomers and Blake has been an elite Pk’er who can put up 20+ goals. No reason to trade him and give a team a second line winger who can play in all situations with a dirt cheap contract. The Devils suck yes, but it that doesn’t mean every player can be had for fricken peanuts.
I meant conditional as in “can turn into a 1st”.

I also didn’t say you had to trade every player for peanuts. Believe it or not, I don’t work for an NHL front office. I simply proposed a trade on here for fans to discuss and I certainly didn’t include “peanuts” as the return. If anything I inflated the value to try to convince NJ to trade a player they don’t really have to move.

- I believe Vatanen is worth a 2nd.
- I believe Zadorov + Kam + Ranta is similar value to Coleman.
- I believe using a 1st instead of a 2nd might be enough to pull it all together and get a trade done.

You don’t have to agree, but don’t call me “a joke” when others from your own fan base are calling it a no brainer for NJ.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
So who takes that shutdown role for these playoffs if Z is gone? Cole? Girard? Johnson? Graves? There's no internal replacement, and Vatanen isn't being acquired for that role.
What do you mean “IF” Z is gone? Z is there right now and he’s not currently playing a shutdown role lol. He’s playing a very limited third pairing role with an aging partner who is even being trusted more than Zadorov. Doesn’t matter if Zadorov is there or not, that shutdown role has been taken from him.

This is what I’m saying. Zadorov isn’t, and hasn’t been playing that role for quite some time. He’s the least utilized defenseman on our roster with all the growth among others on the back end.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
He’s not just an ordinary 3rd liner though. He’s on pace for 30 goals. Can absolutely fly. Kills penalties. Hot as ****. He ticks so many boxes for Colorado.

I get all of that, but it's not like the Avs desperately need more scoring. We're already the highest scoring team in the league. Overpaying for a luxury that doesn't really fill a need doesn't make much sense to me.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
What do you mean “IF” Z is gone? Z is there right now and he’s not currently playing a shutdown role lol. He’s playing a very limited third pairing role with an aging partner who is even being trusted more than Zadorov. Doesn’t matter if Zadorov is there or not, that shutdown role has been taken from him.

This is what I’m saying. Zadorov isn’t, and hasn’t been playing that role for quite some time. He’s the least utilized defenseman on our roster with all the growth among others on the back end.
Maybe if Zadorov was out there more they wouldn't give up 3 straight and lose a game they were leading 2-0 after one period.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I get all of that, but it's not like the Avs desperately need more scoring. We're already the highest scoring team in the league. Overpaying for a luxury that doesn't really fill a need doesn't make much sense to me.
He’s defensively responsible and an unbelievable penalty killer. It’s not just about goals. It’s filling the desperate needs of Colorado which include the two top priorities of penalty killing and team defense. Putting guys like Coleman on the ice instead of Burakovsky in key situations such as an empty net or final minute of a period changes the dynamic immensely.

Plus he scores goals and fits the Avs high speed identity.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

It's not a bad offer, and your observations are correct - the Devils would love Zadorov, and accumulating 1st rounders is the clear objective at the deadline (whether it happens is another story).

The value is great, but I just can't trade Coleman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad