Post-Game Talk: Colorado @ Montreal | October 18th, 5PM MT | We need Roy to play in net

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
This. The Avs are so caught up in their assignments that they will just leave a guy with a wide open lane to the net, f it's not that player's assignment. It is so strange. I don't know if I like Man to Man. It hardly ever leads to situations were we outnumber the opposition in puck battles, which leads to spending so much time in our own zone. On paper it means should never be open, but as soon as one guy gets loose we are left in a bad situation.

I think it would work if the majority of the Avs could win one on one battles along the boards and in the races to retrieve the puck, but as a whole, they haven't shown much of that yet (especially the defensemen).

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Good lord the Iginla hate is out of control.

Tell me what he did well last night?
For me he was mostly in the way of Duchene and caused 3-5 turnovers on his own.

I realize he might not yet completely gel with Duchene or someone else, but you have to show something a bit more than occasional hustle when you take over 5mil from the cap.
And him playing bad is not the same as Cliche or Mitchell playing bad. I have a lot bigger expectations from Iggy, and he hasn't even been close to reaching them this season.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Haha, that's it? When I saw he was on, I figured they would have been picking his brain about Roy and the rest of the team. Guess not.

Said good things about Roy's coaching, MacKinnon, and Pickard. They didn't ask him too much.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Just watched the highlights. They did not look nearly as bad as some of you are saying.

Seemed like it was a close game. Duchene had at least three that could have easily been goals and a win for a avs.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Iginla wasn't bad. Not even close to embarrassing.

You guys must have much lower expectations than me from Iggy.
I had expectations of at least 25 goals, good solid link-up play and good hits.

He has provided some hustle, but that's all he has done.
He was marginally better in the 3rd period last game, but still not even close to good enough.
I'm still giving him time, it's not about that.
But how anyone can say he wasn't bad last game I have no idea.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
You guys must have much lower expectations than me from Iggy.
I had expectations of at least 25 goals, good solid link-up play and good hits.

He has provided some hustle, but that's all he has done.
He was marginally better in the 3rd period last game, but still not even close to good enough.

No, we have the same expectations, but you seem to have forgotten that Iginla throughout his ENTIRE CAREER has been a notoriously slow starter. I don't know what it is, or why he starts slow, but everyone and their grandmother knew he wasn't going to come out guns blazing. He played well in Montreal IMO, and is starting to show some real chemistry with Dutchy which is a real positive sign.

If Iginla wasn't a notoriously slow starter, fine, you'd have a case to make. But he's been this way since his Calgary days and there is no changing him. The fact that he is tied for the team lead in points, albeit 3 but still, and is one of the only players on the team who isn't a minus player, and gaining chemistry with both Dutchy and McGinn, is an extremely positive sign.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
No, we have the same expectations, but you seem to have forgotten that Iginla throughout his ENTIRE CAREER has been a notoriously slow starter. I don't know what it is, or why he starts slow, but everyone and their grandmother knew he wasn't going to come out guns blazing. He played well in Montreal IMO, and is starting to show some real chemistry with Dutchy which is a real positive sign.

If Iginla wasn't a notoriously slow starter, fine, you'd have a case to make. But he's been this way since his Calgary days and there is no changing him. The fact that he is tied for the team lead in points, albeit 3 but still, and is one of the only players on the team who isn't a minus player, and gaining chemistry with both Dutchy and McGinn, is an extremely positive sign.

Yeah Duchene's line isn't the problem, it's O'Reilly and Landeskog being so flat. I'd give MacKinnon, ROR, and Landy some more time to gel though.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Just watched the highlights. They did not look nearly as bad as some of you are saying.

Seemed like it was a close game. Duchene had at least three that could have easily been goals and a win for a avs.

Story of the road trip. Have a lead and fail to build on it due to lack of finish/luck and then they start playing a brand of hockey that's leads to turnovers and odd man rushes against and they have to take silly penalties and the game slips away.

It's very frustrating to see a team shoot themselves in the foot this way.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Tell me what he did well last night?
For me he was mostly in the way of Duchene and caused 3-5 turnovers on his own.

I realize he might not yet completely gel with Duchene or someone else, but you have to show something a bit more than occasional hustle when you take over 5mil from the cap.
And him playing bad is not the same as Cliche or Mitchell playing bad. I have a lot bigger expectations from Iggy, and he hasn't even been close to reaching them this season.

He made a nice play to Duchene for his goal. Made a few nice plays in the ozone and helps get the puck out defensively by being calm. He definitely hustled defensively and on the back check.

You can't get mad at him for a few turnovers offensively. The whole team is flubbing pucks and to single out one guy as the culprit atm is silly. Once the team starts gaining confidence and cohesion this stuff will go away. It's like people don't realize how much harder the game is when things arent going well. It takes a toll on you mentally and the mental part starts effecting your on ice production.

The only way to combat this is the work hard and focus on the basics and this will eventually sort itself out.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
He made a nice play to Duchene for his goal. Made a few nice plays in the ozone and helps get the puck out defensively by being calm. He definitely hustled defensively and on the back check.

You can't get mad at him for a few turnovers offensively. The whole team is flubbing pucks and to single out one guy as the culprit atm is silly. Once the team starts gaining confidence and cohesion this stuff will go away. It's like people don't realize how much harder the game is when things arent going well. It takes a toll on you mentally and the mental part starts effecting your on ice production.

The only way to combat this is the work hard and focus on the basics and this will eventually sort itself out.

He was messing up Duchene all the time. He was in Duchene's way at least twice and misplayed a lot of passes.

And the whole team is flubbing the pucks is exactly what I've been saying. Iggy is just not a simple normal hockey player. He is supposed to be a leader and a big contributor to this team. Therefore he should be scrutinized a lot harsher in the o-zone than e.g. Cliche or Talbot.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I agree that Iginla is hurting Duchene's flow. At this point, I'm in favor of Avs fans becoming a "cult of Duchene." Just give the man everything he wants, the C, more money, more playing time, because he's the only one playing well.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I agree that Iginla is hurting Duchene's flow. At this point, I'm in favor of Avs fans becoming a "cult of Duchene." Just give the man everything he wants, the C, more money, more playing time, because he's the only one playing well.

Coming from a known Landeskog hater, I'm not surprised...

How's Huberdeau doing?

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
He was messing up Duchene all the time. He was in Duchene's way at least twice and misplayed a lot of passes.

And the whole team is flubbing the pucks is exactly what I've been saying. Iggy is just not a simple normal hockey player. He is supposed to be a leader and a big contributor to this team. Therefore he should be scrutinized a lot harsher in the o-zone than e.g. Cliche or Talbot.

I agree you have a right to scrutinize him harder than cliche and company but alot of those times he flubbed the puck offensively is because Duchene put him in bad positions with the puck. It almost seems like Duchene isn't quite playing his game because he wants to get Iggy touches when he's at his best when he's carrying the pick and drawing defenders to him and opening up space. I just don't see how you can say he was bad when hes been okay on a team that's been terrible. I would say Landeskog has been bad. Not iginla.

And about the leader thing he seems to be one of the few wingers that's actually in position to pick up the puck in the dzone when pur dmen inevitably ring the puck around the boards.

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
Their finishing is absolutely awful, they need a ton of chances to get one goal while at the other end it feels like every mistake ends up in the back of the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad